Author Topic: COMPLETED: LOOKUP: British 11th Regiment, "David Malcom" 1845 Norfolk Island  (Read 11470 times)

Offline k1_oz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello,
I was wondering whether anyone out there had the list of passengers of the "David Malcolm", from England to Norfolk Island, leaving England in May 1845 and arriving in Norfolk Island on Aug 25, 1845.
In particular, I am interested in the group of British 11th Regiment. I am wondering whether James Osgood or William James Osgood might have been a member of this group (and his wife Mary and possibly his son William James Osgood).
Thanks for taking the time to read this post!
Karina

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKUP: British 11th Regiment, "David Malcom" 1845 Norfolk Island
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 May 12 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hullo Karina, It would appear that james Osgood was indeed a member of the 11th.
See

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~garter1/o11th.htm

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~garter1/11th.htm

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline k1_oz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 May 12 12:28 BST (UK) »
Excellent! Thank-you Neil.

I don't suppose you might also know where I could find the passenger list for the "David Malcolm" on the Plymouth-Norfolk Island leg online?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Karina

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 May 12 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Karina,

The David Malcolm was a convict ship and the 11th Regiment were the convict guard.  Onboard were:

220 male convicts (newspaper says 250)
Captain Currer/Conran?
3 Sergeants
3 Corporals
43 Privates
All of the 11th Regiment

Also Paymaster Timbrell and one private of the 58th Regiment.

The Master was James Cable and the Surgeon was Harvey Morris.

When the ship arrived into Sydney on 20 Sep 1845, onboard were:

Captain Conran
Paymaster Timbrell
48 Rank and File of the 11th Regiment (newspaper says 50)
7 women
2 boys
2 girls

This is the closest you will get to a list of those onboard and it does seem to imply that the Regiment stayed onboard and went to Sydney.

Sometimes you will find mention of individual people in the Surgeon's Log and this is at the UK National Archives.

Medical journal of the David Malcolm, hired convict ship from 9 May to 21 September 1845 by Harvey Morris, Surgeon and Superintendent, during which time the said ship was employed in conveying prisoners to Norfolk Island.

Covering dates:  1845
Held by:  The National Archives, Kew
Legal status:  Public Record(s)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=5038555&CATLN=6&accessmethod=5#summary

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 May 12 14:42 BST (UK) »
9 Dec 1845

The Waterlily schooner was under engagement to convey a detachment of the 11th Regiment to Norfolk Island.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/37159625?searchTerm=%2211th%20regiment%22&searchLimits=l-decade=184|||l-year=1845

You really need to look at those early baptisms.  In my experience they always state the rank and Regiment of the father if he was a soldier.

Would this be William James' baptism in England?

William James OSGOOD
Baptism/christening date:   06 Jul 1845
Baptism/christening place:   St. Mary, Chatham, Kent, England
Father:   James OSGOOD
Mother:   Mary OSGOOD
https://www.familysearch.org/

...and the matching birth registration

OSGOOD,    William James
Births Jun Quarter 1845
District: Medway
Volume: 5
Page: 386
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

There were military barracks at Chatham.

If this is the correct birth then these dates make it not possible for Mary and son to have been onboard the David Malcolm.

Debra  :)

Offline k1_oz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 May 12 10:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those links, Debra. That's great. I didn't know (and am happy to learn) that William James was born near the Army Barracks.
I guess that a heavily pregnant woman staying behind and then joining her husband later makes sense....I cannot find reference to a boat that transported the troops from the 11th after July 1845 and before Dec 1846 (when the next son was born on Norfolk Island), so a temporary separation seems likely.
Thanks for the point about the Waterlily...I'll see if I can get a passenger list for that. However, it seems that the soliders are FAR harder to track than convicts (who travelled at least under their own names!).
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
All the best,
Karina

Offline k1_oz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 May 12 10:32 BST (UK) »
Oops! My mistake. I just realised that I was looking at the england departure dates for the Castle Eden and Ramilies not the arrival dates! In which case, either boat would fit with the established birth places & dates quite nicely!
Its looking like the Ramilies to Hobart arriving 24 Nov 1845, and then the Waterlily departing in Dec 1845 for Norfolk Island would be the most likely path. Now all I have to do is to find the passenger lists!
Thanks for your help: its really clarified events for me.

All the best,
Karina

Offline rbusch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED: LOOKUP: British 11th Regiment, "David Malcom" 1845 Norfolk Island
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 August 13 11:18 BST (UK) »
I am also interested in the 1/11th Foot Regiment as my great, great grandfather was a member and either arrived in Australia (Hobart then Sydney) on the Castle Eden or Ramilies in 1845. I have had no luck searching for his name on ships' lists. His name was John Howarth. His brother, Shepherd Howarth was also a member of the regiment and his name does appear on the Castle Eden list.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Rosalie

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED: LOOKUP: British 11th Regiment, "David Malcom" 1845 Norfolk Island
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 March 15 20:11 GMT (UK) »
I also have an interest in the 11th Regiment and am trying to narrow down the information to find the ship on which my ancestor, Richard Bruce, and his wife and two children, arrived.  It seems there were a number of ships carrying varying numbers of members of the 11th from the U.K. to the colony.  Happy to supply more information.  J.