Author Topic: Baptism & Marriage Lookup  (Read 1712 times)

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism & Marriage Lookup
« on: Friday 18 May 12 14:39 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the marriage of John Jones (from Swansea) and Mary Ann (Unknown) in about 1834-35. According to the 1851 census, Mary Ann and their first child Hannah (ca. 1836) were born in Barnstaple, which makes me think that they may also have been married there. They were living in swansea in 1851 and 1861 (when Thomas and Mary Ann switched their birth places  ???); no sign of the 1841 census so far though.

I live in essex and Devon is a little too far for me to travel on what may be a wild goose chase so I'd be grateful for any help with the marriage and/or Hannah's Baptism.

Thanks,
Steve.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism & Marriage Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 May 12 20:49 BST (UK) »
According to the 1841 census, they were living in Swansea, Glamorganshire
HO107 piece 1426 folio 8/26 page 8  but none of them were born in Wales. A Thomas (not John) JONES married a Mary Ann BEVAN at Barnstaple parish church 23 Feb 1835.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 May 12 02:42 BST (UK) »
I think the initial 'John' was a typo as refers later to 'Thomas and Mary Ann'.

However, I don't believe Thomas was a native of Swansea.   In 1841 he is shown as 'Not born in county', 1851 states Ireland (?) and 1861 states Wesley, Devon (Westleigh?).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 May 12 09:03 BST (UK) »
I think the initial 'John' was a typo as refers later to 'Thomas and Mary Ann'.

However, I don't believe Thomas was a native of Swansea.   In 1841 he is shown as 'Not born in county', 1851 states Ireland (?) and 1861 states Wesley, Devon (Westleigh?).

Annette

Yes, I'm sorry about that; it is Thomas, not John. He does seem somewhat confused about his origins though; first it's Ireland and then Devon.

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 May 12 14:45 BST (UK) »
According to the 1841 census, they were living in Swansea, Glamorganshire
HO107 piece 1426 folio 8/26 page 8  but none of them were born in Wales. A Thomas (not John) JONES married a Mary Ann BEVAN at Barnstaple parish church 23 Feb 1835.

A perfect fit with Hannah's likely birth in 1836. Thanks for that.

Sorry about the Thomas/John error.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 May 12 17:22 BST (UK) »
No need to apologise, I just wanted to make sure I was chasing the right marriage. To confirm it you could order a birth certificate for one of the younger children (later than 1837) which will confirm the mother's maiden name. If Thomas was from Ireland, he may well have been Roman Catholic and it's possible Hannah was baptised in an RC Church. (Mind you, Mary Ann & Philip were baptised in Swansea Parish Church)
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 May 12 13:02 BST (UK) »
No need to apologise, I just wanted to make sure I was chasing the right marriage. To confirm it you could order a birth certificate for one of the younger children (later than 1837) which will confirm the mother's maiden name. If Thomas was from Ireland, he may well have been Roman Catholic and it's possible Hannah was baptised in an RC Church. (Mind you, Mary Ann & Philip were baptised in Swansea Parish Church)

Thomas and Susannah were also baptised in Swansea Parish Church so I doubt that Thomas was a RC (at least not a very strict one). I wonder if Thomas and/or his parents were temporary migrants to Ireland; Jones doesn't sound very Irish to me. Maybe his mother was Irish and/or RC?

I haven't got any birth certificates yet due to the large number of Joneses born in Swansea every year (4 possible Thomases, 2 Mary Anns and 2 Marthas and don't even think about the number of Johns). However, I have just discovered on FamilySearch that Susannah's middle name is Bevan, which sounds pretty conclusive to me. Her birth was registered in Q2 1846 so I think I'm quite safe getting that one.

Offline CUNNINGB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bevan family Barnstaple 1796-1880
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 January 20 15:10 GMT (UK) »
I am very interested in this family . I think I might be a descendant of the William Prout Bevan and Mary Ann Darke of Hardaway Head,  Barnstaple. Is anyone else connected to this family? Looking for burial for William and Mary and wondering where i can get a copy of Williams will from 16 Feb 1873 ? Thanks Nancy

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Bevan family Barnstaple 1796-1880
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 January 20 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

wondering where i can get a copy of Williams will from 16 Feb 1873 ?

If William left a will you should be able to purchase it from the probate website for £1.50
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk