Author Topic: Strathloan farm  (Read 7677 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: Strathloan farm
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 May 12 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi James,thank you very much for taking the time to go and photograph this for me.It was my gran's sister and her husband lived there.I think I may have to phone my cousin and see where exactly it is,she still lives in the area whereas I haven't seen it since I was a wee boy.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 May 12 21:14 BST (UK) »
James,I apologise for sending you on a wild goose chase,I have the name of the farm now.It's near Strathloanhead and it's called Middlestrath.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 May 12 21:21 BST (UK) »
Middle Strath is easy, a collection of Farm buildings bought some years ago
by a developer and divided into separate units and sold off, my Mother was
born on the other side of the field at Wester Strath, which he also planned to buy.
The Farmer agreed to sell on condition he bought the 79 acre land around it.
That kind of slowed him down a bit.

I will get you a picture.

James.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 May 12 21:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you James,look forward to it.Hope you are enjoying the fine weather while it lasts.

I found this map with Middle Strath indicated quite close to Avonbridge.Would I be right in thinking Wester Strath is between Middle Strath and Strath House.

http://sites.google.com/site/keymapsgb/ns/90/ns9070

George.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 May 12 19:51 BST (UK) »
George,
             Westerstrath is the opposite way from what you say, its about half-mile to the right (West) on your
map. You won't find it on any map though, I had to ge there to find the remains.

Here is Middlestrath.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 May 12 19:53 BST (UK) »
There is on the left, the main building, and on the right some Barn conversions
its a pretty little place.

James.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 June 12 00:20 BST (UK) »
Aw James.thank you so much,you have taken an exile straight back to his childhood.I think it was a bit more run down when my lot had it ;D.

I did find Wester Strath marked on an old map,I will try to find it again.

Be up there in July and looking forward to it.

Offline Willison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 June 12 10:34 BST (UK) »
There is a Strath House in that area. Here is an aerial view, it seems set off the road. Wrong place?

Oops, it never worked....  :-[
Willison and Pattison (in Glasgow) 1800s on, Kinnes (Perthshire 1600s-1700s & Fife 1800s), Mathieson (Glasgow, Cambuslang, Paisley)

Offline EmilyRB65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 June 12 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

these photos are of Middle Strath Farm, near Avonbridge - my father and stepmother rebuilt this property and indeed added the studio to the left and redid all the outbuildings and one summer we built the greenhouse. What a lot has changed in 30 odd years. Brings back memories of no heat and lashing rain - fun for kids of course!

Emily