Author Topic: Oldfield  (Read 1723 times)

Offline supersan

• RootsChat Senior
  • digging deeper into the past
    • View Profile
Oldfield
« on: Friday 20 May 05 19:22 BST (UK) »
Anybody come across a thomas oldfield b. 1792 nottingham, would love some information on him, thanks, Sandra
lambert-north yorkshire, dannatt-lincolnshire, simms-nottingham,cresswell-derbyshire,thwaite-north yorkshire, routledge-cumberland, pearson-durham,pratt-north yorkshire, skipworth-lincolnshire,kirkbride-cumberland, spink-derbyshire, oldfield-north yorkshire, woods- north yorkshire, white- lincolnshire, atkin - lincolnshire, teasdale- north yorkshire, iveson - north yorkshire. this information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bryan.

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 1938 - 2006
    • View Profile
Re: Oldfield
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 May 05 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

As you do not say what info you have,I am going to take pot luck and hope that you have not got the following.

Thomas Oldfield b abt 1792  Nottingham
Elizabeth Oldfield b abt 1796 Nottingham
Ann Oldfield christened 29th Dec. 1818 St Mary's, Nottingham
Elizabeth Oldfield christened 31st March 1822 St Mary's, Nottingham
Joshua Oldfield b abt 1824 St Mary's, Nottingham

Regards

Bryan
Brownell...Sheffield.
Rodgers....Sheffield
Harper...Great Barford,Beds. 
Hull...Roxton,Beds
Wostenholme,Sheffield, 
Elliot, Baslow,Derbyshire
Duke, Birmingham.....Sheffield
Palmer, Nottingham....Holbeach
Hall,Nottingham

:-*   8)    ::)     :o

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 May 05 22:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry but I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that these user submitted IGI entries are totally unreliable.

The Elizabeth baptised at Nottingham St Marys on that date to a Thomas and Elizabeth was Elizabeth Frost  ??? Ann I cannot find at all on the Notts FHS index of baptisms, which includes St Marys.

Perhaps if you tell us what you know about Thomas Oldfield Sandra - how he connects to your tree, known relatives etc - we can dig something up.

Heather
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline supersan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 May 05 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

As you do not say what info you have,I am going to take pot luck and hope that you have not got the following.

Thomas Oldfield b abt 1792  Nottingham
Elizabeth Oldfield b abt 1796 Nottingham
Ann Oldfield christened 29th Dec. 1818 St Mary's, Nottingham
Elizabeth Oldfield christened 31st March 1822 St Mary's, Nottingham
Joshua Oldfield b abt 1824 St Mary's, Nottingham

Regards

Bryan
Thanks Bryan, didnt know anything about him this is my first lead, thankyou very much :) sandra
lambert-north yorkshire, dannatt-lincolnshire, simms-nottingham,cresswell-derbyshire,thwaite-north yorkshire, routledge-cumberland, pearson-durham,pratt-north yorkshire, skipworth-lincolnshire,kirkbride-cumberland, spink-derbyshire, oldfield-north yorkshire, woods- north yorkshire, white- lincolnshire, atkin - lincolnshire, teasdale- north yorkshire, iveson - north yorkshire. this information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline supersan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 May 05 23:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry but I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that these user submitted IGI entries are totally unreliable.

The Elizabeth baptised at Nottingham St Marys on that date to a Thomas and Elizabeth was Elizabeth Frost  ??? Ann I cannot find at all on the Notts FHS index of baptisms, which includes St Marys.

Perhaps if you tell us what you know about Thomas Oldfield Sandra - how he connects to your tree, known relatives etc - we can dig something up.

Heather
Hi Heather,
my 3rd gr. grandmother ellen woods b. 1854 ingleton, north yks, her father was john woods b. 1817 ingleton,nth yks he married elizabeth oldield b. 1822 nottingham, her father thomas oldfield b. 1792 nottingham. sandra :)

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 May 05 23:42 BST (UK) »
I suppose what I'm wondering is how you know Thomas Oldfield's year and place of birth - do you have him in any census?

I'm also a bit confused as to where the Nottingham link comes in. On the census Elizabeth Woods/Oldfield gives her birthplace as Ingleton. She also has a lodger John Oldfield in 61 and 71 (when he is uncle), born about 1800 Ingleton (possibly the John baptised to Robert 27 Oct 1799). Is this the right family I have here?

Sorry if it seems a lot of questions but any little clue might help :)
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett

Offline supersan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 May 05 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,  yep  you have the right family, i got the thomas oldfield b. 1792 nottingham from the IGI it also said his wife Elizabeth b. 1796 was born there and lists the children as Joshua, Ann, Elizabeth all born notts, do you think that maybe they were born in ingleton, i have a lot of relatives from that village including routledges and Lambert, about half my ancestors are tied to that place one way or the other, any help you can give me on this one would be great, thanks again Heather, Sandra :)

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 May 05 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hiya :) To be honest I'm not sure what to make of it all! It's a fact that there were Oldfields in both Nottingham and Ingleton. But the Notts FHS has indexed baptisms at St Marys and there were no children baptised there (or any of the other parishes covered) to Thomas and Elizabeth in the period you are looking at.

There is a baptism of an Elizabeth to Thomas and Elizabeth at Ingleton in 1829 ...it  might seem years out but it's still possibly a late baptism. We know that Elizabeth was definitely there in 1839, as she married John Woods on the 21st Dec that year. Have you got the marriage cert to confirm her father's name? If not the GRO reference is Dec 1839 Settle  23 551.

It would be good if we could have a look at the 1841/1851 for Ingleton to see what Oldfields were about. But the West Riding is not one of my areas and I'm not sure how difficult a lookup would be. You may have to wait until Ancestry gets it all online ...I'm told they hope to do so by the end of the year.

Heather