Author Topic: Surname Kyboski from Mielnica, Russia (now Poland)  (Read 5471 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Kyboski from Mielnica, Russia (now Poland)
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hmm, this really is a bit of a mystery.

I cannot fathom why Pearl's 1918 marriage cert says Mielnica in Russia, given that Mielnica is clearly Polish rather than Russian, and was clearly on the Austrian side of the Dniester river.

Presumably, her husband (a Lyons of Donegal?) was a Catholic.

Justin

Offline bigirishfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • BigIrishFamily
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Justin,

A mystery indeed.  Mielnica has been Polish from 1918. Prior to that it had been ruled/occupied by Russia and also Germany/Austria during WWI.  I suspect Pearl offering Russia on her marriage cert signifies a family link to what was then a much larger Russia than it is today?

Poland Timeline at the BBC -> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/country_profiles/1054724.stm

Stephen

Online Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 13:39 BST (UK) »
There was another town called Mel'nytsya in the Russian gubernia of Volhynia, i.e. bordering on Galicia, ESE of Kovel/Kowel.

The Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1885, vol. 6, pp.344-345] has the following description (I have added a few points in square brackets]:

Mielnica 1.) a town in Kowel powiat in the 6th Police district, gmina of Wielick [Velitsk]. The town is 10 viorsts [NE] from Hołub [Holoby] and 8 [NW] from Wielick [Velitsk].  In 1870, there were 420 residents, 32 Jews, 162 houses, an Orthodox church, a Roman Catholic church, a chapel, a prayer house, brewery, brick yard, 2 mills, 17 shops, 20 craftsmen, 2 fairs.  (The Catholic church is renowned for a painting by Bogarodzic, painted on metal according to , dust ... Jan III sent under Wieden.)  There is a beautiful painting of Saint Francis painted by Szymon Czechowicz. The Roman Catholic church is in the deanery of Kowel. The settlement is one of the oldest in Wolyn (Volhynia), in the 14th century it was a very important city. Refer to the book Stecki in Klosach, vol. XIV, 269. 2.) M., a settlement in the Wileń powiat

This town was Russian at the time of Pearl's marriage, and had been seized by Stalin as the Russians advanced in 1945. It was within the borders of interwar Poland.

The plot thickens.

Justin

Offline Alex017

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 04 November 18 10:38 GMT (UK) »

Mielnica 1.) a town in Kowel powiat in the 6th Police district, gmina of Wielick [Velitsk]. The town is 10 viorsts [NE] from Hołub [Holoby] and 8 [NW] from Wielick [Velitsk]. The settlement is one of the oldest in Wolyn (Volhynia), in the 14th century it was a very important city.

I live in Holoby. First, let me explain were Mielnica is.
Mielnica (Russian Мельница, Ukrainian Мельниця, Polish Mielnica) is a village in Kovel district of Volyn region (Volhynia). It is a territory of Ukraine now. Volhynia is a Russian province, in the 16th centure it was seized by Poland, later in 1795 it was returned back to Russia. In 1888 Mielnica was a Russian town, at the same time Poland was a Russian province. In 1915-18 Mielnica was occupied by Austro-Hungarian and German army. In 1917 Poland became independent and in 1919 Polish army captured a vast territory of Western Russia. From 1920 to 1939 Volhynia was a part of Poland. In 1939 Russia regained its land back.

Mielnica is a village now and its population is about 500 people. But from the Middle Ages till the end of WW2 it was a town. In 1939 town's population was more than 2000 people and more than half of them were Jews. They all were murdered by German Nazis during WW2. There lived also many Polish people, but in 1944-46 they almost all moved to Poland according to USSR-Poland Governement population exchange agreement. Since that Mielnica became a small village.

So Jacob and Pearl could be either Jews or Polish.

Some photos of Mielnica in 1915-18:

Offline Alex017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline Alex017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 November 18 13:43 GMT (UK) »

[Nellie Pahanecki]?

Nellie Paharecki. Пагарецкий/Пагарецкая in Russian. The 2nd and the 4th letters in Nellie's surname are `a`. It is absolutely untypical for Volhynian accent to pronounce Pohorecki with `A`: `Paharecki`, it should be Pohorecki in Ukrainian (and Polish too). Paharecki is a Byelorussian variant of spelling `Pohorecki` and Byelorussian pronunciation of this name as well. From that I can suggest that she or her forefathers could be from the territory of modern Byelorussia, Western Russia at that time, and moved to Volhynia at some time.

About Kyboski name.
As I am native Russian and Ukrainian speaker, it is obvious for me that one letter in the name has been lost, perhaps during naturalization in Canada, and initially it was Kybowski (Кибовский in Russian, Кібовський in Ukrainian).
If Jacob Kibo(w)ski was Catholic, you can try to search his birth record in Mielnica Roman Catholic church , they are available online on The Central Archives of Historical Records website (1827-63):
http://www.agad.gov.pl/inwentarze/KMluck436x.xml
(handwritten Polish and Russian)
there are also marriage and burial records

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 09 November 18 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Alex - you are someone who has great knowledge of the area .
My initial reaction was that this is Ukranian research - not Russian - and I went on www.geneanet.com - the earliest - 1814 I found for Pohorecki was indeed Galician - Ukraine .
https://gw.geneanet.org/andytereshyn?n=pohorecki&oc=&p=basil

My father in law was Ostap Kabluckyj - born Rohatyn ,Ukraine 1927 - I have done vast research on him and the area he was born - there is a stretch of about 11 miles that has changed hands so many times where he was born - Ukraine / Poland / Russia and now back to Ukraine - I went on
www.ukraine.com and registered for free - when accepted I went on to the Forum page and clicked on genealogy - there is a member on there named Hannia who has helped me no end . for those who dont know the Ukraines were taken over by the Russians and during WW2 they formed the 14th Waffen Galician regiment to fight for the Germans against the Russians because they wanted the Russians out of Ukraine ...my father in law was shot in Italy - captured and came to England as a POW . He stayed in Britain and died aged 39 from the initial damage done by his gunshot wounds ..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_Waffen_Grenadier_Division_of_the_SS_(1st_Galician)
my point being that I am under the impression that Galicia was originally Ukranian - could you advise me please Alex ??
thankyou  for reading  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford