Author Topic: Surname Kyboski from Mielnica, Russia (now Poland)  (Read 5505 times)

Offline Alex017

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Kyboski from Mielnica, Russia (now Poland)
« Reply #27 on: Friday 09 November 18 21:53 GMT (UK) »
my point being that I am under the impression that Galicia was originally Ukranian

Since ancient times the territory of Galicia was populated by Eastern Slavonic tribes. In the 10th century it became a part of Rus' - the state of the Eastern Slavons. In 1349 Galicia was captured by Poland and then became a Polish province. It was called Województwo Ruskie
(Ruthenian/Russian Voivodeship). In 1772 Galicia was captured by Austria. In 1918 Austro-Hungaria collapsed and Ukrainians in Galicia declared independence as the People's Republic of Western Ukraine. At the same time Poland declared independence too, and then immediately
went to war with PRWU. In a few months PRWU  was defeated and conquered. In 1939 after Germany had started war with Poland the USSR regained its territory, conquered by Poland in 1919-20 (Western Byelorussia and Volhynia). USSR had also taken Galicia then. That was a
reuniting of Ukrainian people.

In the Middle Ages Russians, Ukrainians and Byelorussians spoke the same language (Old Russian).
In the 14th century, when Galicia was captured by Poland, people spoke Old Russian too there. At that time the word "ukraine" (ukrAina) meant borderland but there was no nation called Ukrainians. People in Galicia, Volhynia, Byelorussia (White Russia) and Russia called themselves Russians.

Later modern Russian, Ukrainian and Byelorussian languages have been formed.
People in modern Galicia speak Ukrainian.

So Galicia originally was the land of modern Galician Ukrainians' ancestors.

In  the early 20th century Galician Ukrainians treated well to Russia.
At that time (and even until the mid 20th century) Ukrainians in Galicia didn't call themselves "Ukrainians" but "Rusins".
There were many intellectuals who wanted Galicia to join to Russia (another part of them didn't want that). Thousands of pro-Russian Galicians were killed by Austrians in death camps Terezin
(Theresienstadt) and Thalerhof (this one was established specially for Rusins) during WW1, 60000 in total over all Galicia.
A key role in that genocide was played by anti-Russian Galician Rusins (as informers and even murderers). After that anti-Russian ideology won out in Galicia.

Millions of Ukrainians fought together with Russians for the Red Army against Nazis, but Galicians were Nazi collaborationists and USSR's enemies. Waffen SS killed millions of people during WW2 and are perpetrators, no matter what nationality they were - Germans or Ukrainians. Galicians served in SS and German death camps, they also helped to massacre the Jews in Galicia. That Hannia is one of modern Ukrainian neo-fascists.

Offline Alex017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 10 November 18 00:09 GMT (UK) »
My initial reaction was that this is Ukranian research - not Russian - and I went on www.geneanet.com - the earliest - 1814 I found for Pohorecki was indeed Galician - Ukraine .
https://gw.geneanet.org/andytereshyn?n=pohorecki&oc=&p=basil
The capital of Volhynian Governorate was Zhytomir. That's why many documents related to modern Volyn region are kept in Zhytomir State Archive, while others are in Volyn Archive in Lutsk city.
Church records books from Mielnica on Polish website I mentioned above were kept in Volyn Archive too (there are V. Archive's labels on the covers) but later they were ceded to Poland and are stored in Warsaw Archive.

Polish and Ukrainians would pronounce "Pohorecki" only with O, but Byelorussians and Russians with A: Paharecki. That's absolutely clear. There is no doubt that Paharecki name is of Byelorussian origin.  I've found that name Pohorecki comes from village Pohorye name. http://www.ufolog.ru/names/order/погорецкий
There are 3 villages named Pohorye and they all are in Byelorussia (Pahorye in Byelorussian spelling and pronunciation). Two of them are in Grodno region and another is in Brest region.
Poharye in Grodno region
Pahorye in Grodno region
Pahorye in Brest region
Also I've read recently that ca. in the late 19th cent. - early 20th cent. some Byelorussian people came to nearby village of Brukhovichi, 4 km from Mielnica. Governement needed infertile lands for a new firing range in Grodno Governorate and bought at local peasants their pieces. Some families decided to move to Volhynia. They bought plots of land and settled there, some of them in Brukhovichi and some in other villages. I don't know whether there were Paharecki or Kybowski among them but this is an example how Byelorussian surname could appear in Volhynia.
Sure, name Pohorecki exists too and some Pohoreckis could be Nellie's relatives (in Russian Pohorecki is spelled with O but pronounced with A)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Alex - it's nice when someone who has extensive Knowledge of a region can educate people like myself - I will pass your info on to my wifes family - the Kabluckyj family - they will be very glad to read all this - basically , all they knew was that their dad / grandad / g grandad came from Roghatyn , Galicia,Ukraine - now they will know its history - thank you once again  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Alex017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 16 November 18 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Kybowski name is a very rare one. It derives from  another surname – Skybowski (without letter S lost). Skybowski comes from village Skybowka name. In Ukrainian (and maybe Old Russian) “skyba” means a slice of bread and a clod of earth.

A have another version about Kyboski name. Letter “y” is pronounced like U (oo in boot) in Russian. When I read “Kyboski” my initial reaction was that somebody had copied mechanically Russian letter «у» but originally it should have been  copied like u. It was quite possible and such mistakes happened sometimes when English/Canadian/American etc copied Russian documents. So I think that it was smth like Kubowski.

I have found a church funeral record about the death of an old woman in a village of Vulka Porska  near Mielnica. People from Vulka Porska attended Mielnica R. Catholic church.
http://agadd.home.net.pl/metrykalia/436/sygn.%20868/pages/PL_1_436_868_0137.htm
Record №13.

“On the 21st of October 1856 an aristocrat woman Magdalena Yakubowski nee Yagolkowski (I can’t read  the handwriting well: Yagolkowski or Yanikowski) had died in the village of Vulka Porska. She was a wife of a noble man Michail Yakubowski. She was 78 years old and she was a parishioner of the Mielnica church. She had left no offsprings.”

My assumption is that originally the name Kyboski might have been Yakubowski. That is Jakubowski in Polish, Якубовский in Russian and Якубовскій according to Russian 19th century grammar rules (that had changed in 1918 when modern Russian Grammar was adopted). I suggest that the clerk that copied the name from the Russian paper didn't know what letter Я meant and missed it when copiing. Yakubovski/Jakubowski comes from Jacob name.

Offline Alex017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 16 November 18 22:27 GMT (UK) »
http://www.wolhynia.pl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=206&catid=25&Itemid=101
Mielnica R. Catholic church was closed by the governmetnt in 1873, I have no idea why. Later it was rebuilt and became an Orthodox church. It was seriously damaged during WW1. In 1920 Catholics got the church back and repaired it. So if Pearl was Catholic she couldn't have been baptized in Mielnica in 1888 but perhaps in nearby village of Holoby.

I also have idea how letter W was lost. Perhaps it happened because Jacob & Nellie pronounced V like English W and OV like O in "no". In Byelorussian V is often pronounced like English W. Byelorussians should pronounce Kybovski like Kybowski (Kybouski).

Anyway, it would be great to find some church records.
You have enough variants  :) to search:
Kyboski  (the least likely)
Kybowski  Кибовский
Kubowski  Кубовский
Jakubowski  Якубовский
Pohorecki Paharecki Погорецкий Пагарецкий

There is a man named Kibovski who works in the government (local authorities) of Moscow city as a Culture Minister (Culture Depatment Chief) but he writes about himself in Wiki that all his ancestors came from Smolensk region.

Offline Alex017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 26 November 18 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Mielnica church in 1915-18

Offline Alex017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 23 December 18 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Mielnica 1900-1916