Author Topic: 59th Regiment of Foot - Daniel Murphy 1871  (Read 6122 times)

Offline 206bones

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
59th Regiment of Foot - Daniel Murphy 1871
« on: Tuesday 22 May 12 01:08 BST (UK) »
My GGGF Daniel Murphy was a Private in the 59th Regiment of Foot, per his daughter Mary Catherine/Kate Murphy's marriage certificate. Another cousin working on this line notes a birth of 1834 [location unknown] and death of Jun 1871 in Bengal, India for Daniel. He married Mary King in Ireland in 1866. My GGM Mary was born in ~1869 in Kandy, Ceylon. I am looking for more information on Daniel's service. I'd like to know how & where he died. Where could I get a copy of his death record? Can I get a copy of his military record? If so, from where? Where can I find general information on what the 59th Regiment was doing in India circa 1865 - 1871?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 59th Regiment of Foot - Daniel Murphy 1871
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 07:02 BST (UK) »
You will only get a copy of a death certificate if he is listed in the overseas/regimental BMDs on Findmypast. If so you can order a certificate from the UK GRO in the usual way. That said the certificate may not be as informative as a 'home' one.

Before WW1 they did not keep the service records of soldiers dying while serving.

Ken

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 13:10 BST (UK) »
hi
have looked in FindMyPast deaths for daniel murphy but can,t find anything the earliest armed forces death for a daniel murphy is 1885 also checked overseas deaths and still nothing also had a look in fibis site  [ families in british india soc ] but no joy there either .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 June 12 19:16 BST (UK) »
hi, im also looking for information on the 59th regiment based in shambles barracks galway in 1866 ,i have a marriage certificate for my great grandad  george clarke saying he was based there when he married my g/granma mary holloran ,i can not find where he went or what happened to him  also what would that regiment have been called ,any information greatly recieved .thank you in advance .
Clarke---- wotton under edge Gloucestershire and widnes Lancashire
GOODE  stourport /Kidderminster /Huddersfield
Holloran ---galway Ireland

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 June 12 19:38 BST (UK) »
can,t immediately see him in pension records but can you give us a place and year of birth for your george clark .
regards
trevor

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 June 12 20:21 BST (UK) »
hi trevor , im not sure of his birth but i believe it to be around 1840-45 believed to be lancashire way ,his father was robert clarke and he was a miner ,i have a wedding certificate and he is marrying a mary holloran in galway 26th september 1866 ,his occuppation states private  59 regt , and his address in 1866 is shambles barracks galway ,im sure mary must be born in galway and thats how he met her or why would they get married in galway.her address is stated as wood quay ,and that was near the barracks , on the W/C it states their ages as full age so presuming over 21?untill i got the certificate i had no idea he was in the army ,i know they had a son john robert clarke born farnworth, in 1874 both their names on the birth certificate , then my  grandad james martin clarke ,born in prescot workhouse in 1877 only mary s name no fathers name ,but he told my dad his father was george clarke ,maybe thats why i cant find him anywhere because he was in the army ---does all that make sense , :) silv

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 June 12 21:50 BST (UK) »
well still can,t find anything in pension records so looks like he didn,t serve for long also checked armed forces marriages but they don,t show in there , can you tell me what censuses you,ve found them in especiallly have you found him in 1861 and 1871 .
regards
trevor

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 June 12 07:39 BST (UK) »
hi trevor ,all ive got is 1851 census with george as 6 father robert a miner then the same 1861 but i dont know the mothers name -the census has catherine as the mother but maybe i have the wrong family ,george did get married 1866 though in galway which would put him at 21 but where he went from there i havnt a clue ,i thought maybe mary was in  the workhouse in 1881 as thats where her son was born so maybe thats a clue as to georges whereabouts maybe he was away fighting somewhere ,if he had been dead mary would have put his name on the birth certificate of her child and added deceased ,but it was blank !!x

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 June 12 09:55 BST (UK) »
just to be absolutely sure are you saying  that on the marriage cert georges father is stated as robert and occ miner ?.
and as there are so many robert clarkes in 1861 /71 cens can you give me roberts details from them ie what county there in and his yr of birth please  .
regards
trevor