Author Topic: MacDiarmids to Georgia - help please  (Read 12074 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: MacDiarmids to Georgia - help please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 04:23 BST (UK) »
It looks like there may have been an obituary of John MacDiarmid in the Journal of the American Medical Association, XXXVIII/19/1259.  But I can't access the page.

You'll see the link if you Google:  MacDiarmid "Southern Medical College"  You could look for it at your nearest University Library.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 04:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Erato

I pulled that up just before you posted. I've determined that he arrived from Scotland in the right year: 1883 - still can't find that manifest with the family.

Now I'm trying to determine if there are accessible attestation papers for WWI doctors in the medical core as that will connect to parentage or brother with next of kin (one would hope).

Here's the obit:

Southern Medical College 1891; former mayor of DeLand; served in the Medical Core during WWI; died suddenly on the Atlantic Coast Railway Train, age 50.
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 04:38 BST (UK) »
Volusia County, Florida Public Library

http://volusialibrary.org/

They have an "Ask a Librarian" service so you could request an obituary search.  If he was a doctor and died suddenly on a train, he must have made the newspaper.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 12:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you Erato. I've made an inquiry with the library.

Can anyone else think of any other ways of getting at US arrival information for
- Angus MacDiarmid - arrived Oct 1872?
- Euphemia "Effie" MacDiarmid - mother arrived with which of Angus' siblings in 1883?

Have a great Tuesday.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 15:00 BST (UK) »
There's a 1909 newspaper article written by John that says he's been practicing medicine for the past 17 years, the last 9 of which were in DeLand.  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0mny/

Unfortunately, the earlier passenger lists can be spotty.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 00:22 BST (UK) »
You mentioned New Zealand.  Have you ever found any trace of the MacDiarmids out there?  Is it possible they went to NZ and then changed their minds and entered the US via California?

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 06:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Erato, Sorry for the delayed response. I was on the road today.

I can find hide nor hair of the MacDiarmids in New Zealand. Where did that story come from, you ask?  ;) A cousin of my mum's wrote a piece back in the 1970s. He quotes his grandfather (brother to Donald MacDiarmid's wife) as saying that Donald's mother & unmarried siblings left for New Zealand in 1883 or 1884. (Donald came to Canada in 1883.)

I then contacted a fellow who researches for the Benbecula Historical Society. He thought they had left for New Zealand as well, though had never followed through to determine if that was so.

Then, last week, I came across a descendant of Donald MacDiarmid who came to Canada. He said the family story was that there was a doctor - in Florida he though - & claimed there is a NZ connection as well.

I don't think that they would have left before 1883 to head for New Zealand as the croft re-org on Benbecula was in 1879 & the family is definitely there in the 1881 census. It doesn't seem that a crofter family could afford to go to New Zealand in 1882 & then be in Georgia, USA by 1883.

So, back to the story. The new found cousin, descendant of Donald MacDiarmid in Canada's info about Florida started me off on my search in the USA which uncovered Angus MacDiarmid's 1921 passport application. It had his father listed along with date of death so I knew it was the right fellow. It also indicated when he had arrived in the USA & the places he'd lived between 1872 and 1921. When I found census data for him, surprise of surprises, I found his mum living with him in in Shake Rug, Fayette in 1900 (emigration year 1883), and a younger brother, John, living with him while he was still in Atlanta.

John is the one that appears to have been the doctor. I have an e-mail in to the Deland Library to see if they can dig anything up. Chatter Sheldonesque has found a pay-for-view obituary for him (thank you Sheldonesque :)). I'm hoping the library can provide a bio of John's time as mayor (and maybe a picture. ;))

Late last night, I found a death record for Donald John MacDiarmid (transcribed as Dony John McDirmid) dated 28 Aug 1920 in Tyronne, Fayette, Georgia. It had the right parentage, birth year & birth place.

So, now (in the event I can't find a ship's manifest) I need to prove:

- John's parentage (1900 census has the right arrival year); doesn't look like he married, but I'd like to confirm that.

- track down Archibald. I think I can see an Archibald/Archie in a few Atlanta directories, but can't be sure it's him unless I can find the ship's manifest or a death record with parentage. If I can prove this Archibald to be mine, I'd like to determine if he married & had children.

- find a death date for Angus - sometime after 1921, I'd guess in Shake Rug, Fayette, Georgia. It doesn't look like he married as no one is ever shown with him in the Atlanta directories, but I'd like to confirm that.

- find where mother Effie was between 1883 & 1900 (possibly working in someones home ???) & a death date for her which I'd guess is between 1900 & 1910 in Shake Rug, Fayette, Georgia

So, the story of New Zealand is perhaps just a mistake  ???, but there is often some truth to things like this, particularly when they come from multiple sources. Perhaps I'll never know. ::) ;D

Cheers,

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 09:32 BST (UK) »
I've got the obit for John MacDiarmid.  8) It specifically refers to his brother Donald in Canada so he is, indeed, mine. Thanks for sticking with me on this! :) :) :)

If anyone can suggest where I might dig up death dates for mother Effie, son Angus and son Archie (looks like according to directories he was in Atlanta until at least 1893) I'd appreciate it.

Happy day.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 May 12 23:02 BST (UK) »
This branch has come together in spades this week!

I had to let you know that I now have a picture of Dr. John, Effie's son, with a dried out old cadaver - likely taken about 1889-1890! It's a wee bit ... well icky ... but how great is this? ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D (I'll post it if you want to see it - let me know - but wanted to warn you that it's a bit macabre. ;) ;D)

The library in DeLand, Florida has responded that the look-up for John's pic while mayor will be done on Wednesday. :)

I haven't heard back from the Atlanta Oakland Cemetery to determine if any of the MacKinnons buried there might be along side John and/or siblings of his.

I've detected that John's brother Donald John was married & had children. I don't know the who, when, where as yet .... but I have clear indication that it occurred - just have to figure out the details. Any help with follow-through on this would be fabulous! I have a death date for him transcribed as Dony John McDiramid 28 Aug 1920 in Tyrone, Fayette, Georgia, United States.

I've not yet figured out when mum Effie (Euphemia) died (between 1900-1910 census I think as she was in one but not the other living with son Angus in Shake Rug, Fayette, Georgia). Any help with date or obit would be greatly appreciated.

It has been a satisfying week. Have a great weekend everyone!