Author Topic: WWI Intelligence Corps  (Read 6316 times)

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WWI Intelligence Corps
« on: Wednesday 23 May 12 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hoping to fill in some gaps for this relative -

Bertrand James Stevenson b.1878 Edinburgh, died 1953 Beckenham Hospital, Kent (resided Upper Norwood, London for many years until death). From London Gazette Archives I know he became a P.O. Telegraphist in 1894 and in 1903 moved to the Engineer-in-Chief's office as a 3rd Class Clerk.

From a document found on Ancestry he worked in the Intelligence Corps and was sent to France in 1915, rank Captain. All I have found so far on his Army career is from the National Probate Calender which says he was a retired Army Major and at some point had been awarded the OBE.

I know he married Rose Adam in 1951 (probably his only marriage) and that his mother Annie Bryson Stevenson nee Hogg lived with him until she died in 1942.  No other info on his wife, no death/remarriage found at least in Bromley reg district.

Anyone have any ideas how I can find out more about his life, in particular his military career?  What sort of "missions" might he have been involved in during WWI?  ??? ???

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WWI Intelligence Corps
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 12:02 BST (UK) »
Guidance on finding his military records is here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/officerbritisharmyafter1913.htm

You might try the Intelligence Corps Museum: there is a bit of info on the site and contact details. My guess is that they will know something about an officer who was made OBE. See http://www.army.mod.uk/intelligence/museum.aspx

If you search the London Gazette online you should find the OBE gazetted, also his initial commission and promotions. You'll need to play around with different versions of his name in the search engine, Bertrand James Stevenson, B J Stevenson, Stevenson B J and others (maybe even Stephenson): it can be frustrating. http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search/steps/1

Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 12:18 BST (UK) »
The spelling does produce a London Gazette hit for his first commission in 1915
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline hugatree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline hugatree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hmm the probate list doesn't mention major, can't trace the appointment either, but that OBE is an absolute definite, can you give us a clue where you found him as major, might give us more clues, thanks

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/browse/view.aspx?dbid=1904&iid=32858_633870_1435-00336&pid=15711005&ssrc=&fn=Bertrand+James&ln=Stevenson&st=g

Offline hugatree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 13:43 BST (UK) »
It does seem very secretive, doesn't it, you would expect to find lots on your man, his exploits etc.

If I search for Stevenson OBE in the National Archives it comes up with a whole section on WW1 of 'classified' papers which you can now download for free. They might be worth the effort to load and search:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=3&CATID=2298&SearchInit=4&SearchType=6&CATREF=CAB+24

There's a link to documents on-line in the second box...

Good hunting!

Hugs   ;)

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 14:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you all - Graham, Hugatree and Neil for your quick and kind responses. I had just searched for his full given name, no variations.

He was definitely named Bertrand and the Major rank came from the National Probate database on Ancestry, as mentioned in my original post. Hugatree has posted the same link. That National Archives medical file does look very promising despite the spelling discrepancy. For 2 quid I'll take a look.

I wanted to post my thanks before continuing the hunt via all those links you've sent me.

Thanks a mil, guys ;D ;D

Offline hugatree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda

There's a tv series running at the moment about World War Heroes, he surely must qualify, didn't get the OBE for nothing.  They'd do the research if there was a program in it.....

Best of luck

Hugs