Author Topic: Rattigan's. Huddersfield & Roscommon.  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Fozgraven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rattigan's. Huddersfield & Roscommon.
« on: Saturday 26 May 12 13:28 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon all.

Hoping for a breakthrough on this last hurdle of my tree.
If anyone can help, i'd be really chuffed.

Looking for the parents of Martin Rattigan. b:1851 in Roscommon, Ireland.

Settled in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, and married Winnifred King (Dtr of John King b:1807 Ireland. and of Lincoln/Doncaster).

Martin & Winnifred also had a son named Martin (My Great Grandfather) and he married Edith Vickerman in Huddersfield.

*** I'd like to trace the parents of Martin Rattigan (Sr) b:1851, and possibly find out when he came to Huddersfield. Long shot i know, but a massive part of the family tree.

Many thanks for your help on this, and indeed in previous threads. Thank you. :-)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rattigan's. Huddersfield & Roscommon.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 May 12 14:27 BST (UK) »
Marriage certificate should give name and occupation of father??

On FreeBMD Marriage reg Martin's surname is transcribed as " Rocktegan"

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fozgraven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 August 12 19:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Suzard.

And apologies for the late reply. (Only just noticed your post)

Thanks again.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Fozgraven,

Unfortunately the only way of knowing when your ancestor moved from Ireland to England is by when he marries over here, or when he first appears on a census, or if he is already married and had children born both in Ireland and England.

In your Martin's case -- I cannot find him on the 1871 census (unless his name is spelt in a really odd way). However he married in 1873 -- so you would think he came over to England after 2/4/1871 (the date of the census) -- and before his marriage. He would need time to meet Winifred and presumably 'court' her first!! Hence you have a fairly small 'window' though, and could realistically say he came to England about 1871/2.

As Suzard says - you can obtain his father's name from the marriage cert -- but according to the 1881 census - his eldest child is named John - so that may be the father's name.

There is a subscription website for Irish Parish records whoch you could try -- RootsIreland -- or the Irish records on Family Search perhaps.

Regards June
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline marlene rattigan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 September 13 17:17 BST (UK) »
   hi Foxgraven  I am also trying to find Martin rattigan from Ireland.My late Husbands greatgrandfather who was married to Winifred,but I keep getting contradictions my husbands grandfather was Michael Joseph he had a brother called Martin and everything matches your great grandfather except Martin was married to Mary Stead 27th of June 1908 and both Michael and Martin were married from the same address Idid find 2 Rattigans on the 1871 census Martin age 21 and a John age 29 and they were boarders so was that about the time he came over from ireland, were they brotherts or cousins? Ialso found A John who was married to Ellen Kelly and the childrens names of both are very similar but dates dont match. and John had a son named Patrick who died at the somme and his wife lived in the same street in Huddersfield that my Husbands Grandfather lived so were they related? I am going to write to the church were martin was married.and also to a man in roscommon whose family haved livedthere for a few generations  if I get anywhere I will let you know   good luck Marlene

Offline Fozgraven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 November 13 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marlene.

Thanks for your post.
It seems we have the same connections, with a few details to iron out.
I would be very happy to talk further with you, to discuss further.
Thanks again.

hi Foxgraven  I am also trying to find Martin rattigan from Ireland.My late Husbands greatgrandfather who was married to Winifred,but I keep getting contradictions my husbands grandfather was Michael Joseph he had a brother called Martin and everything matches your great grandfather except Martin was married to Mary Stead 27th of June 1908 and both Michael and Martin were married from the same address Idid find 2 Rattigans on the 1871 census Martin age 21 and a John age 29 and they were boarders so was that about the time he came over from ireland, were they brotherts or cousins? Ialso found A John who was married to Ellen Kelly and the childrens names of both are very similar but dates dont match. and John had a son named Patrick who died at the somme and his wife lived in the same street in Huddersfield that my Husbands Grandfather lived so were they related? I am going to write to the church were martin was married.and also to a man in roscommon whose family haved livedthere for a few generations  if I get anywhere I will let you know   good luck Marlene

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 November 13 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Marriage certificate should give name and occupation of father??

On FreeBMD Marriage reg Martin's surname is transcribed as " Rocktegan"

Suz

Just to clarify things - the entry appears in the GRO Index as:

Rocktegan, Martin and also Rocktigan, Martin with the marriage registered in Huddersfield, 9a, page 914 - September quarter 1873

FreeBMD transcribers are told they MUST only transcribe what they see   ;)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline marlene rattigan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Foxgraven, sorry I havent answered you sooner,but my internet has been down and I have just had it sorted.Iwould like to talk to you too,we just might be able to solve this together but how can we do this. marlene

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Marlene - you will need to make one more post (answering this one again should do it) and then you can use the Private Messaging System to contact Foxgraven.  If you look uder Foxgraven's name (on the left of the screen) you will see a circle incorporating a page of writing.  Click on that and you can send your message direct, and perhaps exchange e-mail addresses - we are not allowed to post e-mail addresses openly, in order to avoid SPAM.

Good luck to you both.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY