Author Topic: Daly's from Doonane  (Read 6187 times)

Offline Peggie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daly's from Doonane
« on: Sunday 27 May 12 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hoping some one can help. I am looking for information about   Anthony Daly b. abt 1845 from Doonane.Not sure if he was born in Doonane or where he came from. I know Anthony married Bridget Delaney b. abt 1850 They had 12 children. They left Ireland for the US in 1899.I have names, dates for their children.  Bridget's parents were  John Delaney and  Anne Franney. If anyone has any information about Anthony and Bridget's parents, grandparents or siblings I would appreciate the help.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daly's from Doonane
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 May 12 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi 'peggie'

Presuming that Anthony was from a farming family, there appears to be only one family of Daly's in Doonane.

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/laois/rathaspick.htm

Tara

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 May 12 16:05 BST (UK) »
Based on the dates of the extracted birth for Anthony and Bridget, it appears that they married before the start of registration of RC marriages.

Checks of the free index on the pay-website at RootsIreland show a possible marriage match in 1862, in Doonane RC parish, but unfortunately these parish records dont usually include father's names... the details generally included would be date of marriage, names of bride and groom, plus the names of witnesses. Places of residence for the bride and groom are sometimes included.

A check of the index for a possible baptism for Anthony around 1845 show several in the Co. Laois transcripts induced on the website, including one in Doonane parish, during 1847 which might be a little bit too late - as he would have been just 15 when married. It looks like father for this baptism is John... which fit's with the possible Griffith's record mentioned above by Tara

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Peggie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 May 12 20:11 BST (UK) »
My grandfather, James Daly was born in 1876. According to his birth certificate his father, Anthony was a miner.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 May 12 13:56 BST (UK) »
There was a coal pit, and also coal mines at Doonane - see the Lewis (1837) entry for the civil parish which covered the area :

Rathaspeck parish, Co. Laois

These seem to have been worked out by the late 19th century as they are not depicted on later maps.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Peggie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 May 12 18:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that's great information. Could be why the Daly's left in 1899.
Peggie

Offline adaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 August 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My GG Grandfather came from the Mayo and Doonane parish area. I think he may have lived in Crettyard. His name was John Daly born in 1847. His parents were Michael and Bridget.
Not sure if it is the same family.

Offline jc33a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 August 18 04:06 BST (UK) »
The Doonane register commences in 1843. According to the FindMyPast transcriptions, between 1843 and 1853 there are 9 Daly/Daley, 9 Deally, and 7 Dooley in the parish. There was an Anthony Daly married to Mary/Margt Reilly and they baptised five sones between 1844 and 1856 including two Anthonys in 1851 and 1856. Others were Michael married to Bridget Hara (John 1847), RObert married to Mary Delaney (Mary 1843, Pat 1845, Michael 1848), John married to Margt Haly (michael 1845), John married to Mary Brenan (Eliza 1851), Par married to Mary Coholren? (John 1850), John Deuly married to Sally Maher (John 1849). There is also a fragment of the Doonane register from 1815 to 1825 transcribed on the RootsIreland website.  I would suggest buying a 24 hour subscription and get all the Daly baptisms from 1815 to 1855 and look for patterns. John
Cherry, Hertfordshire
Benyon, Shropshire
Hockings, Devonshire
Keaveny, Ireland (Offaly, Galway)
Webb, Gloucstershire (Coaley)
Lawlor, Ireland (Laois)
Russell/Leitch, Ireland (Tyrone/Donegal)
Yore, Ireland (Meath)
Etherington, Yorkshire (East Riding)
Dowling/Dooling, Ireland (Dublin)