Author Topic: Tasman Sotheran  (Read 4696 times)

Offline 64aussie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tasman Sotheran
« on: Tuesday 29 May 12 04:10 BST (UK) »
I am researching my grandfather Tasman Sotheran, who I know was living in Fresno California in approximately 1930. He was born in Tasmania Australia in 1895 and is known to have worked as a steward on board immigrant ships. Does anyone have any information on either Tasman or any descendents.  He shows on the 1930 California census as being married to Glee Esther Carlisle.  I have not been able to locate any children from this marriage, or from a previous marriage that I know of for Glee. 
Any information would be most appreciated.
Cheers

Offline SandraAust

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tasman Sotheran
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 07:55 BST (UK) »
Do US death certificates name children?

Glee's death is shown as:
Glee Esther SOUTHERAN born 16 Feb 1893 Ohio, father's surname CARLISLE, mother's surname BUZZARD. Glee's death 16 Apr 1949 Fresno.

Was his correct name Aubrey Tasman SOTHERAN by any chance? If so, he married Mary CAMERON in Tasmania in 1916. I could find only one electoral roll entry for a Mary SOUTHERAN and that was in Launceston Tasmania in 1928 and she was the only SOUTHERAN at the address. Mary sued him for divorce in 1926.
See: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/51360529?searchTerm=sotheran&searchLimits=sortby=dateAsc%7C%7C%7Cl-title=68 for the story

I found a marriage story for 1949 quoting a son of the "late" A SOUTHERAN and Mary (now Mrs R Warren). As this son might still be alive I will forward the details via PM but only if you can confirm that I am on the right track.

Sandra
Compton: England (Hampshire, Surrey), Australia
Bentley: England (Lancashire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire), Australia
McGowan: NZ, Australia
Rowley: NZ, England, Australia
Salvin: NZ, England, Australia
Von Lehenner: Germany, England

Offline SandraAust

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 08:24 BST (UK) »
I am on the right track. Just found the 1919 Tasmanian electoral roll where he is calling himself Tasman Aubrey SOUTHERN  and describes himself as a "steward" - so he is your guy. The son mentioned in my last post must have been quite young when Tasman left him and Mary behind.
Compton: England (Hampshire, Surrey), Australia
Bentley: England (Lancashire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire), Australia
McGowan: NZ, Australia
Rowley: NZ, England, Australia
Salvin: NZ, England, Australia
Von Lehenner: Germany, England

Offline 64aussie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra, thank you so much for your prompt replies.  Aubrey Tasman Sotheran is the Grandfather of my friend.  She is signed up to Ancestry but hs not so far tried searching through Rootschat.  She was here today with me so we decided to look for Aubrey through Rottschat.  I have just spoken with her on the telephone and today is definately ancestor day for her as she also received in the mail a copy of Glee's death certificate.  My friend's name is Ann Sotheran.  Her main line of enquiry is attempting to discover what happened to her Grandfather after he settled in USA.  The family believe he lived in California, and his wife Glee's death certificate confirms this, stating that she had lived in Fresno for 25 years, it also states that she was a widow at the time of her death.  Her address was 1843 Terrace Ave. Fresno.  Despite a fair amount of searching Ann has not been able to find any trace of her Grandfather at all in USA so any help would be most appreciated.
Cheers  Sue Collett  Tasmania  Australia.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 10:17 BST (UK) »
There are a few City Directory entries after 1930.

1929  Fresno (California) City Directory Including Fresno County - Theo C Southeran (Esther)
Waiter Hotel Fresno. h 617 Divsadero

1931/32 Fresno. California. - Tasman C Sutheran (Esther C)  h 3457 Harvey Avenue. Occupation:- Waiter.

1933/34 Fresno. California. - Tasman C Sutheran  (Esther) h 3014 Nevada Ave. Occupation:- Waiter.

1938 Fresno. California - Theo C Southeran (Esther G) h 5120 Illinois Ave. Waiter Hotel Fresno.

1939  Fresno. California - Tasman C Southeran (Esther G) h 5116 Illinois Ave.

US Naturalization Indexes  - Index to declarations of intentions and petitons 1920  - Tasman Southeran - Northern District of California  Volume 87 - Page 341

A number of Ships Lists from 1917 onwards - will list a few.

California Passenger and Crew List - Tas Southeran. Born about 1895 and aged 25 years
Port of Departure: Wellington and Rarotonga and Papeete to San Francisco on the SS Tofua, arriving 11 December 1920

There was a T Southeran (Australian - aged 25 years - waiter) listed on Honolulu, Hawaii, Passenger Lists - 2 April 1921 and 30 th April 1921 -Lurline Shipping Line. Travelling San Francisco to Honolulu, Hawaii

2 California Passenger and Crew entries in 1921 - T Southeran. Occupation Waiter - Australian - aged 25 years. - 13 th March 1921 (Depart San Francisco) and 19th March 1921 (Depart Honolulu)

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 10:26 BST (UK) »
1940 Fresno Directory - Esther G Southeran (wid of T C) slsmn  Kellogg Serv  h 5116 Illinois Avenue.

1941 Fresno Directory - Esther G Southeran (Mrs) Mgr Southeran Reality Co  r 3483 Home Ave.

1942 Fresno Directory - Esther G Southeran  (wid T C) r 3483 Occupation Real Estate

1947 Fresno Directory - Esther G Southeran (Southeran Reality Co)  h 1843 Terrace Ave.
Realty Co (M C Routt and Esther Southeran) 1739 Terrace Ave.

1949 Fresno Directory - Esther Southeran (wid Tasman)  h  1843 Terrace Ave.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 10:47 BST (UK) »
Glee in 1900 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MM6R-DK8

Glee in 1910 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/ML6X-ZTW

Under Esther Carlisle - San Francisco - 1920 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MHWL-JB5

Crocker-Langley San Francisco City Directory 1920/21 shows - Esther Carlisle - 452 Castro.

The month varies on the birth record but it looks like the same person.

Glee E. Carlisle - 16 January 1893
Worthington Township, Richland, Ohio
Father - C.E. Carlisle  -  Mother - Emma Buzzard

Glee Esther Southeran - [Glee Esther Carlisle] 
Birth Date: 16 Feb 1893  - Ohio
Death Date: 16 Apr 1949  -  Fresno
Mother's Maiden Name: Buzzard  and Father Carlisle

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 11:44 BST (UK) »
If you or your friend have a library near you, that have ancestry library edition, there is microfilm available for California deaths between 1905 - 1994. It looks like Tasman died in 1939 according to the City Directories so that could be worth following through.

http://www.fresnolibrary.org/calif/bmd.html

Sandra

Offline 64aussie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 11:55 BST (UK) »
Good evening again Sandra, thank you so much for all this wonderful information.  Ann has been looking for such a long time for information regarding the death of her Grandfather and information concerning his life in America.  I will see her again tomorrow and at that time I will pass on to her all of the information that you have forwarded to me.  I'm sure she will be on line herself tomorrow to thank you and she will certainly follow up your leads re the date and place of death of her Grandfather.  By the way, as you might have guessed, Aubrey's son, who you mentioned earlier, was my friend Ann's father.  Sadly he has now passed away and he was never comfortable talking about his father so that Ann learned very little about that side of her family.
Cheers once again, Sue Collett