Author Topic: Finding my Great Grandmother, Eliza Emily (Minnie) Trestrail JENKIN  (Read 2973 times)

Offline trestrail

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
May 28 2012 -  Searching for the Burial Site of my great grandmother, Eliza Emily (Minnie) Trestrail Jenkin.

It's 2 years later, and I've requested a birth certificate for my grandfather, Percy Powning Trestrail  DOB  February 26, 1886.  His mother was Eliza Emily (Minnie) Trestrail and father is unknown.  The search is over and now I know that I will never know who my great grandfather is. 

My great grandmother, Eliza Emily (Minnie) Trestrail married William Henry Jenkin in March 1893 when my grandfather was 7 years old.  It looks like my grandfather stayed and lived with his grandparents after his mother married. And my grandfather, Percy Powning Trestrail went into the military service at a very young age.  His grandparents were William and Eliza Powning Trestrail of  Hayle.   

Eliza Emily Minnie Trestrail Jenkin and her husband William Henry Jenkin  had 5 children which I was shocked to discover my grandfather had half brothers and sisters. 

William Arthur Jenkin
Charles Garnett Jenkin  DOB June 15 1897  Bapt Sept 30 1897  Bodriggy St. Hayle
Eliza Minnie Jenkin  DOB July 18 1898  Bapt May 4 1899  Copperhouse Hill
Walter Perry Jenkin
Elizabeth M Jenkin

According to the Phillack PR:

William Henry Jenkin was buried 29 Nov 1908 – my great grandmother’s husband.

Elizabeth (Eliza Powning Trestrail ) was buried 28 Nov 1900  - my great gt grandmother

William Trestrail was buried 19 March 1904 – my great gt grandfather

Elizabeth Trestrail was buried 15 Jan 1929.(Blind daughter of William & Eliza Trestrail)

If Minnie was still living in Phillack at the time of her death she also might be buried there with her parents, William & Eliza Powning Trestrail, her sister, Elizabeth, and her husband, William Henry Jenkin.  It is possible that there are no Headstones for their graves.

Perhaps Minnie & William married in a non conformist church or chapel & that Elizabeth M & Walter Perry were bapt in a non conformist church or chapel.

On the Genuki website the online burials only go up to 1929. The Online Parish Clerk for the parish is John Smith. I emailed him last week.  (Genuki, Cornwall, Phillack webpage or from the Online Parish Clerk, Cornwall, webpage.)  I have not heard from him, yet.  I hope I had the correct email address. 

I want to note that my other computer that has all the Family Tree Maker’s information has a monitor down and I can not access it.  It’s very maddening for me that I cannot access it for more detailed information.  I must make hard copies of everything as soon as I get a monitor working. 

What happened to my great grandmother, Eliza Emily Minnie Trestrail Jenkin. She was widowed at age 44 and she had 5 young children.  Perhaps she re-married.  It took all these years to confirm who she was and now I cannot follow her life to her burial.

I'm readng a page I wrote on in August 1990 when I was in Hayle looking for my great grandparents.  It says that my grandfather was in the Royal Navy from age 16 in 1902 - 1922.  He was married to Bessie Knight, of Hayle at age 36 at Parash Phillack of Hayle, S. Elwyn Vicarage, Wesleyian on Feb. 3, 1923.  They sailed to America and are buried in Brooklyn, NY. 

I’m not clear on what Phillack really means.  Is it a church?  A village run by a church?  Is it a village? 

Also, in August 1990, I knocked on the door of 21 Bodriggy Ct. and made a statement that my grandfather and great grandmother may have lived there and did the name Minnie Jenkin Trestrail ring a bell.  The young lad was Roger Jenkin and he said, "I'm a Jenkin" and I said what a coincidence, but I'm looking for information on my great grandmother and grandfather Minnie and Albert Trestrail.   DUH....I had no idea Minnie was a Trestrail and married a Jenkin.  Maybe this man was a descendent of my great grandmother.  I don't know how I got that exact address.  It must have been on the documents that my sons lost.   sigh.

Thank you for anyone that can enlighten me.

Linda Trestrail
Long Island
New York. 

Trestrail  - My maiden name -  My Father's side from Hayle
Knight -
Tremlett
Hosking
Powning
Freethy
Matthews
Jenkin
Woolcock
Crocker
Robertson
Holman
Hichens
Badge
Goldsack
Curtis
Uren  - My Mother's side from Cambourne/Gwinear/Wendron/Helston
Gill
Penpraze
Trewin
Hendra
Secombe
Symonds
Edwards
Hocking

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding my Great Grandmother, Eliza Emily (Minnie) Trestrail Jenkin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 11:07 BST (UK) »
Phillack is a village. 

What year was she born and what year was she widowed?

The marriage in Mar 1893 gives this couple Eliza Emily Trestrail and Joseph Jenkin.

Might not be yours but there is an Eliza E Jenkin born abt 1868 died 1954 age 86 Penzance dist Cornwall.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline trestrail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Millipede,

Thank you for responding.  Eliza Emily (Minnie) Trestrail Jenkin was recorded as - born June qtr 1866 Redruth 5c 326.  Eliza married William Henry Jenkin March qtr 1893 Redruth 5c 329.  William H. and Eliza E's second child (the first boy) was bapt William Arthur Powning Jenkin on 20 Feb. 1896 at Phillack.  The family were living in Bodriggy St in the 1901 census but Eliza E was a widow by 1911 having 5 children from ages 8 - 16, and her older blind sister, Elizabeth Ann (born 1849) was also living with her.  William Henry Jenkin died in 1908.

My grandfather, Percy Powning Trestrail DOB  Feb. 26 1886 - June 22, 1968 (died in my house in New York on my high school graduation day) According to the 1891 census, he lived with his grandparents, William  and Eliza Trestrail on Prospect Place Phillack, RG!@/1852 folio 50 pg 34. until he went into the military service in 1902 as a seaman. 

In the 1901 census, William Trestrail now a widow, moved to Bodriggy St. Phillack RG13/2245 folio 59 pg 14, and only his blind daughter, a chair caner, age 50 and my grandfather, Percy, age 15, farmer, were living with him. 

William Trestrail died in 1904.  His wife, Eliza Powning Trestrail died in 1900.  I am thinking is it possible that my great great grandparents are buried in the graveyard in Phillack behind the church.  In 1929, the blind daughter, Elizabeth Ann died at age 80.  Perhaps she is buried with or near her parents.  It looks like there are lines of longevity in my family.  Perhaps my great grandmother is buried in Penzance.  I wish that I could trace her 5 children and see if one of them moved to Penzance and maybe she lived there with them.  How do I even begin to do this? 

I was in Penzance in 1990 and it was so beautiful there.

Linda Trestrail
Knight -
Tremlett
Hosking
Powning
Freethy
Matthews
Jenkin
Woolcock
Crocker
Robertson
Holman
Hichens
Badge
Goldsack
Curtis
Gill
Penpraze
Trewin
Hendra
Secombe
Symonds
Edwards
Hocking

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 14:09 BST (UK) »
Yes Cornwall is lovely I have had many holidays there  8)

Will see if I can find anything about the 5 children. 

The death in 1954 Penzance for Eliza E Jenkin is the most likely so far.  What we really need is someone living nearby who can check for gravestones etc.
If you hear back from the Parish Clerk I would ask him to check that one out.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 14:32 BST (UK) »
The online parish page (which you have probably seen) has the burial for Elizabeth Ann Trestrail in 1929.  15 January age 79 address given Mount Pleasant Phillack so she has to be buried there.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline trestrail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 14:38 BST (UK) »
Dear Milliepede,

So far I have not heard anything from John Smith since I wrote on May 18th.  It's possible the records don't go as far as I'm hoping for.

With the old computer still disabled and not being able to access my Family Tree Maker and learning how to bookmark and use this new one, I'm not able to work with ease on my journey to find my family.  All the sites I was using were bookmarked on the old computer.  I've started putting info on this computer, but in total, its all very disjointed, now.
I cannot even print out from this computer.  My son left the fax, printer, phone, speakers on the old computer and then the monitor went out a week later.  The 2 computers are on two desks across a 6 foot span from each other. No monitor, no Family Tree Maker, no nothing.  :-)   Meanwhile I am slowly getting back the free sites I had been using and bookmarking them.  I should write them down in a book.

Thank you so much for helping.
Linda Trestrail
Knight -
Tremlett
Hosking
Powning
Freethy
Matthews
Jenkin
Woolcock
Crocker
Robertson
Holman
Hichens
Badge
Goldsack
Curtis
Gill
Penpraze
Trewin
Hendra
Secombe
Symonds
Edwards
Hocking

Offline trestrail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 14:46 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Ann would be the blind sister, yes?  If my great grandmother, Eliza Emily Jenkin was widowed and living on Bodriggy Street with her 5 children in 1911, and her sister, Elizabeth Ann, was living with them, too, if we step it up to 1929, is Mount Pleasant a cemetery?  Could it be a street, a nursing home, a private home?   

Thank you for this information on Mount Pleasant.  I do believe that there was a strong connection to my great grandmother and great gt. aunt.
Knight -
Tremlett
Hosking
Powning
Freethy
Matthews
Jenkin
Woolcock
Crocker
Robertson
Holman
Hichens
Badge
Goldsack
Curtis
Gill
Penpraze
Trewin
Hendra
Secombe
Symonds
Edwards
Hocking

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 14:57 BST (UK) »
Yes Elizabeth Ann the blind sister.  There are other burials giving Mount Pleasant Phillack as an address - one has Phillack East so at least we know it was in the East.  Might be on maps*

*Yes if you google map Mount Pleasant Philack it comes up near to Bodriggy Crescent Bodriggy Court and Mount Pleasant Gardens.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline trestrail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 15:11 BST (UK) »
Yes I was just on the map and came back to tell you that I realize it is a street.  My family never moved too far from where they were, but it looks like they moved as the size of the family changed. 

My great great grandparents, William Trestrail and Eliza Powning Trestrail had 5 children

Mary Jane born 1844 Dec. qtr. Redruth 9 267
Elizabeth Ann born about 1849  - died Jan. 1929 - Mt. Pleasant, Phillack
Charlotte Powning bapt 4 Dec. 1855 Phillack
Thomas G Powning bapt 4 Dec 1861 Redruth 5c 307 - moved to Gateshead
Eliza Emily born June qtr 1866 Redruth 5c 326
Knight -
Tremlett
Hosking
Powning
Freethy
Matthews