Author Topic: Foundling lookup please傍homas Masterman HARDY and Eleanor SLEGG  (Read 4401 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Foundling lookup please傍homas Masterman HARDY and Eleanor SLEGG
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 May 13 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi - I had a little scout round for a Mary Baker of the right sort of age and found these examples in the criminal registers.  Obviously her name is common enough that one can't know whether either or both relate to Thomas's mother.

www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18100411-132-defend1080&div=t18100411-132#highlight

(For what it's worth, the address of Mr Hilliard's shop is close to the Foundling Hospital)

www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18170416-191-defend1463&div=t18170416-191#highlight 

(NB the corresponding criminal register gives the age of this Mary as 27).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Foundling lookup please傍homas Masterman HARDY and Eleanor SLEGG
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 May 13 14:21 BST (UK) »
Rootschatters never fail to impress. Thanks 疎vm228 for those most interesting links. It is quite likely that Mary Baker resided in the vicinity of the Foundling Hospital, but as you pointed out, with such a common name, one can't connect them to Thomas's mother (the 2nd link suggests this Mary is the sister of Thomas SENIOR, in which case BAKER must be this Mary's married name, so would eliminate her). There is also the possibility that my Mary Baker married.

To add: I eventually found Thomas in the 1841, 1851, 1861 and 1871 census where he states his place of birth as 砥nknown or 渡ot known.
The 1881 census has Thomas痴 wife Elizabeth living with her son Henry Dunthorne (from her 1st marriage), but Thomas does not appear with them, so it is likely he died between 1871 and 1881. There is a death for a Thomas (age 72) St Saviours Southwark London Oct qtr 1876 Vol 1d pg 102, which may be a possibility. http://www2.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?scan=1&r=58415185&d=bmd_1358896109

I have also found another birth, a son, Joshua Charles HARDY bapt 26 July 1829 St George the Martyr to Thomas Masterman Hardy and his 1st wife Eleanor Slegg.

I have not found a death yet, for Eleanor HARDY between bapt of daughter Mary Ann HARDY 13 Apr 1834 St Mary痴 Lambeth. and Thomas痴 2nd marriage to Mary Ann JOHNSON 11 Sept 1835 St George the Martyr Southwark, Surrey.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated
Cheers :)
cupoflife