Author Topic: Passenger record please  (Read 4969 times)

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger record please
« Reply #27 on: Friday 01 June 12 22:24 BST (UK) »
Well done ;D   You certainly have made a couple of people very happy with all this information.

It was worth a little go to see if the Rachel Kelland was our lady, sadly no.  So I would presume Rachel may of gone back home.  She is a little mystery, as her husband remarried, and stated he was a widow, was was clearly not true.  We can only think the two different cultures were extremely hard for them, and it was best for her to leave.

Thanks again
Suzy W 
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline GreyBeard100

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger record please
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Good day. I'm not sure whether you are interested in any further information on Rachel KEYLAND (Née GOLUBZOW). I just joined RootsChat yesterday, and stumbled onto this thread.

I am the great-great grandson of John and Rachel KEYLAND, through their son James Jasper KEYLAND, who moved to Canada in 1911. James' daughter, my grandmother Ara Violet KEYLAND, wrote a few handwritten notes in 1991 when she was 83 years of age that described her origins.  In these notes, she stated that "they (John & Rachel) had three children, two boys and a girl. The youngest was James Jasper KEYLAND. The other two children died from a disease that was going around at the time. My Grandmother Rachel and Grandfather then separated, so my Grandma went to stay with her mother, Debra (or Deborah) who lived with her son David GOLUBZOW in Port Said, Egypt where Uncle David lived and worked.  Dad, James Jasper KEYLAND, was raised there until old enough to go to college in Inverness, Scotland where he met Agnes Blackadder JOHNSON."

"Our Grandma, Rachel visited us for a few months. She came over in a ship from Egypt after Dad came home from overseas in 1919. Then Grandma Rachel returned home once again."

Later, in her notes, she writes, "Oh yes, Grandma Debra and Uncle David GOLUBZOW had to pay off our home at 89 Russett, and send money to pay Dad's funeral and hospital expenses. Your Grandma Aggie had to go and do housework, and Uncle David and Grandma Debra sent her monthly cheques to help keep us." (OP's note: this was $60 per month in 1925 dollars).

Finally, she writes, "The three boys (Ara's brothers) Jim, Cliff, and Ken all met Uncle David when overseas in the Second World War when they were in Edinburgh.  That is where Uncle David returned to after Grandma died. It was nice they all met him. I do wish I could have too as he was so very good to our family.  He never married. I guess he was too busy keeping other people like us.  We should be very grateful because widows like Grandma Aggie didn't receive Mother's Allowance or Welfare cheques."

I've viewed this thread and one other, and the people who have done the research have it reasonably correct, as far as I can tell.  What is new info, perhaps, is the name of Rachel's mother, and confirmation that she returned to Egypt when she separated from John KEYLAND.