Author Topic: Helen Ballantyne nee Turnbull  (Read 5480 times)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Ballantyne nee Turnbull
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 June 12 19:20 BST (UK) »
No problem Monica

so you have already looked at the original death record for that one BW and she is too old?

I still don't seem to know if it is Hawick I am looking for her in?

Barbara

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 June 12 22:44 BST (UK) »
I take it that it is the Hawick census' you have been accessing

I look at the 1851 census and notice she was born in Wilton, but her brother Richard Turnbull was born in Ancrum, but helen and walter didn't seem to have any children on any of the census 1841-1861 while living in the Loan, Hawick - i take it that she a sister or aunt of a relative of yours.

Any avenue you could try is if she died in Hospital in Edinburgh the death Cert would be issued under Edinburgh - worth a look - I found one my Ancestor that way

Another option is that Walter and Helen never actually married and were common law man and wife - just a thought

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 June 12 10:22 BST (UK) »
thanks Barbara and Terianne.

Walter although bCockpen, Midlothian seems to have lived all his life in Hawick, Census and DC.   Helen was his second wife(DC).

I believe that Mgt is my GG Grandmother.   Her illegitimate dau Helen Ballantyne Turnbull was born before her marriage to John Robson.   I have always been intrigued as to where the Ballantyne came from as it is not a family name!   My attempts to justify the Mgt living with Walter and Helen as my Mgt are why I am trying to find the parents of Helen (via her DC).   My family tree does not record either Helen or Richard.   Mgts parents were a Robert T and Mgt Aitken

Hope this makes sense?   (Now you see why my PC is halfway out of the window!!!)

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 June 12 23:32 BST (UK) »
I know this may sound obvious but it wasn't uncommon for an illegitimate child's middle name to by contacted to the father if the father is not willing to put his name on the birth certificate - its not like nowadays back then the father had to be asked to legally illegitimise the child even if the parent didn't marry.

It could be that the father of margaret's daug could be a Ballantyne. - just an idea - my be a relative of Walter's may be his brother Alex or a cousin or nephew

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 20:22 BST (UK) »
Terianne has a point but I sympathise with you trying to find Helen's death even if just to rule her out.  Where is she in 1841, do you know? and what date did she marry Walter, have you found a marriage?

Barbara

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 June 12 12:06 BST (UK) »
She was with Walter in Hawick in 1841 (name spelt "Balintyne) have not yet found a marriage

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 June 12 17:15 BST (UK) »
What I am thinking is that you only have one death certificate to say her name was Turnbull.  Correct me if wrong.  And that the informant often got things wrong.  Doesn't help much in finding her death tho as she should be indexed under Ballantyne if she was married to Walter

They didn't have any children that you can see?

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 June 12 21:57 BST (UK) »
I did some digging and found the birth of Helen Ballantyne Turnbull in the IGI mother Margaret b= 17 Mar 1857 - Hawick

You said Margaret went on the marry John Robson (both born in Jedburgh)  was John a Tailor if you check the 1861 census there is a Margaret and John Robson living at Loan no 33 on the entry the children are listed as Hellen Robson aged 4 born Hawick and Archibald Robson aged 2 born Hawick - it could be possible that Helen was raised under his name. the age of helen fits.

Helen & Walter Ballantyne lived at Loan No 25 in 1861

BUT Also if you check the 1851 census  Helen's 16year old niece Margaret was living with Walter and Her - the details fit
 so it could be simply that Margaret named her daughter after her Aunt

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 June 12 10:41 BST (UK) »
Terianne

Yes I have all the details you provide.    All details fit and I fear that I will never find out who Helen and Richards parents were.   Helen (1804) who married(?) Walter B has just disappeared!   

You are correct that Mgt has simply named her dau after her aunt.

many thanks to you all