Author Topic: Lucy Nurse - South Shields  (Read 1845 times)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lucy Nurse - South Shields
« on: Friday 01 June 12 20:37 BST (UK) »
Lucy Nurse (nee Greaves/Grieves/Greeves) born Brancaster, Norfolk c 1850/1 married Anthony Nurse 1869 in South Shields. They had two daughters Pleasance and Georgina.
Disappeared sometime after 1875 and before 1881. Not living with her husband 1881, who is shown as Widower and living with his brother and family in South Shields.
Rumour has it that she  "went off" with an unnamed butcher from Jarrow.
Despite looking and asking all manner of people and questions I have yet to discover details of her later life and subsequent demise.
Now clutching at straws. Any info , suggestions or help appreciated.

radstockjeff
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lucy Nurse - South Shields
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 June 12 23:00 BST (UK) »
In 1871 there is a daughter Agnes aged 1 and a tree that has her death (Lucy) 1875 but maybe that's because she disappears at that time  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 June 12 23:36 BST (UK) »
Agnes is actually Pleasance Agnes ( I thought I'd found another daughter when I checked the 1871)

I know it's not conclusive but I would have thought Anthony would show himself as married rather than a widower if Lucy had just upped and left.  Both 1881 and 1891 show widower
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Pels.

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 June 12 08:13 BST (UK) »

Lucy Nurse (nee Greaves/Grieves/Greeves) born Brancaster, Norfolk c 1850/1 married Anthony Nurse 1869 in South Shields.

Just to be precise and to try and understand the whole picture - is this Lucy's birth registration :

Birth, Jun qtr 1850
Lucy Mehala Greeves       
Docking, Vol 13, page 59

Kind regards,

Pels.

Offline Pels.

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 June 12 08:16 BST (UK) »

If that's the correct registration, do you know where ( what I'm reading as ) her middle name Mehala came from :

Offline Pels.

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 June 12 08:53 BST (UK) »

Agnes is actually Pleasance Agnes ( I thought I'd found another daughter when I checked the 1871)

I know it's not conclusive but I would have thought Anthony would show himself as married rather than a widower if Lucy had just upped and left. Both 1881 and 1891 show widower

The reason I've asked the above question - the more alternative names we can throw into the pot to help us search the better. I totally agree with Carole about Anthony claiming to be a widower. Unless of course in his eyes she had 'died'.

Pels.

Offline Pels.

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 June 12 09:24 BST (UK) »

Here's a little more info for people to go on, written by yourself :

Married at South Shields register Office April 1869.

Anthony lived at Peel Street and Lucy at Campbell Street at the time of their marriage in 1869
The 1881 Census shows Anthony and his daughters(but no Lucy) living with his brother Thomas and his family at Alexander Street Westoe.
Thomas had married Lucy's sister Agnes Isabella in 1871.

After many months of fruitless searching I put in a call to Janis Blowers of the Gazette. This bore fruit almost immediately with two cousins making contact, one of whom suggested that perhaps Lucy had "done a bunk" sometime after 1875 and before 1881, with an unnamed butcher from Jarrow and left her two daughters with her husband Anthony.

Anthony is reported at various times in Census returns as widower, lodger and spent his last days with his daughter Pleasance and her husband Edward Smith.

We are therefore no further forward other than a mysterious Butcher from Jarrow. Without a surname name we cannot trace Lucy's final demise as she possibly adopted her new man's name.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0n4b/

Pels.