Author Topic: Jessie/Janet GEORGE  (Read 6309 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie/Janet GEORGE
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 June 12 17:04 BST (UK) »
It should name her mother and father , however it would only be to the best knowledge of the person signing the certificate(Death certificate)

Official certs. started in 1855 , so the marriage will probably not have much details  :-\
(Old Parish Records)

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 June 12 17:08 BST (UK) »
Is this her marriage in Australia?

Groom's Name John Clarke
Groom's Birth Date 1829
Groom's Age 41
Bride's Name Jessie George
Bride's Birth Date 1832
Bride's Age  38
Marriage Date   21 Mar 1870
Marriage Place   Ringarooma-Scottsdale, Tasmania, Australia

I  really do not know what information would have been on a marriage cert then but do you have her marriage cert (if she married) & is there not any other information stated?

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 June 12 17:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's her. Unfortunately, for me,  Tasmanian marriage and death records of this time only contain very basic information. I was hoping that her parents Scottish marriage records could contain more details.

cheers Janine
David Wallace HAY, Helena DAVIDSON , Alexander HUTTON , Elizabeth JOHNSTON, Arthur JOHNSON, Agnes McPAKE, Mary McPEAKE, Mary JOHNSTON, Margaret JOHNSTON, Mildred Rose HARRISON, Francis HARRISON, Mary SOUTH, William WILLIAMS, Charles DUFF, Grace LESLIE

Offline madhouse51

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 13:27 BST (UK) »
There is so much to share re Jessie George!!  In brief for the moment, she was born to Ester McKenzie in Aberdeen, Scotland.  Ester was Jamaican.  In 1848, Janet was up for another offence (5th) and was sentenced to 7 years transportation (to VDL/Tasmania).  So, at 17, she went to the other side of the world.  Upon arriving in Hobart, she was placed in the Cascades Women's Prison.  She worked (for no pay) during the day.  Going back to the prison one evening, she was raped in a cab.  For this she was given another several months.  And when the baby was born, she got another few months.   :o   She had four children - one to unknown, three to William Thomas, none with John Clark/e.  Most of her descendants live in Tasmania, the balance in New Zealand.

If you drop me an email, I can offer much much more.

happy days
Barney Reynolds
Launceston, Tasmania

Offline carol524459

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 April 21 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hello I have just joined Rootschat and found this old thread about Jessie George - she had children with William Thomas in Tasmania - William is the great great uncle of my dad Stanley Miller - I wondered if any further information has been found about Jessie George's origins in Scotland.
Thank you.
carol

Offline Tyrian Terror

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'TEMPUS FUGIT'.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 July 22 22:04 BST (UK) »
Re William Garvock.
You should try the LDS Family Search website re your Garvock searches. It throws up quite a list of circa 42 hits relating to William Garvock in Aberdeen & the NE of Scotland. That's where I found the William Garvock that was relevant to my search. That is  the marriage of William Garvock to Ann Glennie: 6 October 1861 New Pitsligo, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, United Kingdom. This would make this William Garvock my great great granda on my mothers' side. As she was a Garvock from Scarehill, New Pitsligo.
https://www.familysearch.org/en/
Garvock, Easton, Esslemont, Thomson,Fraser & nae doot mair....