Author Topic: Passenger Lists 1904  (Read 5945 times)

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passenger Lists 1904
« on: Saturday 02 June 12 16:23 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out what happened to Grandfather's sister Florence Harding b. 1883 Somerset. Up to now after a long search nothing has given me a clue. Florence is on U.K. Somerset Census 1901 working in Taunton but can find no marr. or death. Find my Past has two maybe candidates leaving U.K. (Liverpool) 1904 but ages are unknown. One is from Liverpool to Sydney Australia, the other New York U.S.A. Can anyone check these two entries for me please. If she did not emigrate, I cannot think what can have happened to her and this search has taken me years and she is the only one of my Grandfather's siblings I cannot find so very glad of any help to solve mystery. Many thanks for your time. Her birth reg. is in name of Harden but interchanged with Harding throughout family with various Certs in both names but Harding is used more often and seems to have settled.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger Lists 1904
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 June 12 17:14 BST (UK) »
New South Wales Passenger Lists - Florence Harding
Port of Departure: Liverpool to Sydney. New South Wales - arriving 30 Apr 1904
on the  Suevic  gives no details of age to identify Florence. (According to previous threads your Florence was born 1883 Somerset if I remember correctly)

New York Passenger List - Florence Harding
Port of Departure: London to New York, arriving 19 September 1904 on the Minnetonka.
Florence was a US Citizen - no other details.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 June 12 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The only info it gives about Florence Harding arriving New York from London, Sept. 19, 1904 aboard the Minnetonka is that she was a U.S citizen.

claire

Ooops Beat me to it!
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 June 12 20:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Looks like I can discount the New York one. I wonder who the Sydney one is. I thought she might have followed her sister to USA. Will I ever find her, will keep trying but a very common name, so many of them. Thank you for your interest and time, both of you. syljun

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 June 12 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Syljun,

Sister Sarah lived until the ripe age of 98 years, perhaps Florence did also.
If you get the exact birth date for Florence, we can check that against the USA SSDI Index and possible find her, if she died after 1962 ish when the index was fully up and running.
Sarah immigrated to the USA by way of Canada before crossing the border, it was a cheaper way to travel to the USA that way at the time.
Despite checking numerous Canadian passenger lists for Florence Harding I haven't come across anything that identifies her.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 June 12 07:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sandra, May well be worth sending for Birth Cert.  I would like to find out what happened to her. Will get back to you when I know more. Syljun

Offline mazzie74

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 June 12 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You have probably already looked into it, but the only Florence Harding I can find born in Somerset in 1883 is:-

Births Mar 1883
Harding  Florence     Wellington Som  5c 327

(There is also a Florence Emily Harding born in Dulverston 1883, but as you haven't mentioned a middle name I assume the above is her).

There is also this marriage record:-

Marriages Dec 1906
Harding  Florence    Wellington, Som.  5c 578   
Ridgeway  William     Wellington Som  5c 578

And in the 1911 census, there is:-

William Ridgeway b.1886    Residence: Wellington, Somerset;
Florence Rdigeway b.1882  Residence: Wellington Somerset
Eddy Chris Ridgeway b.1906
Alice Evelyn Ridgeway b.1908
Ernest William Ridgeway b.1911

Thanks,

Darin.

Mazzei/Mazzie - Stazzema (ITA); Cardiff; Bristol.
Bernardi - Tuscany (ITA); Cardiff; Boston (MA);
O'Keefe/O'Keeffe - Cardiff.
Svombo - Cardiff; London.
Mahoney - Newport; Cardiff.
Bugeja - Malta.
Godden - Faversham; London; Northumberland.
Harris - Deal; Gillingham.
Morris - Ramsgate; St. Lawrence; Gillingham.
Stupples - Broadstairs; Ramsgate.
Lamb - Elswick; Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
Todd - Berwick; Burradon; Dudley (NBL).
Houston - Sunderland.
Gibson - East Holywell; Cramlington (NBL)

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 June 12 11:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you mazzie74, My Florence was registered with surname of Harden Bridgwater Dec.Qtr 1883 as explained before the name Harden intermingled with Harding but subsquently later on seemed to stay as Harding. It has been a trial for me for many years tracing various members but now Florence is only sibling of my Grandfather that I cannot find after 1901 Census when she was working as Domestic Servant alongside her sister Sarah who was a cook at home of William Thompson (Ironmonger and shopkeeper). I have researched the Wellington Florence and cannot find any connection to my line of Harding family although family names seem to be consistent in both Harding families but christian names were very common as I have found to my cost. Cannot find death, ages well out so she most likely moved away, perhaps when sister Sarah emigrated to America 1903. Sorry long winded, Syljun
P.S. I need all the help I can get.

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 June 12 12:19 BST (UK) »
P.S. to above. Have been on Australia Board and a kind researcher has found a notice in Victoria Public Record Office that Florence Harding who sailed on SS Suivec was 22yrs of age which fits in nicely with my Florence. I am hoping to further research to confirm or eliminate her as Grandfather's sister.
Any further help from anyone would be great. Here's hoping. Syljun