Author Topic: ROE connection to Dorset?  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
ROE connection to Dorset?
« on: Sunday 03 June 12 13:44 BST (UK) »
I am researching my Kyrke cousins in North Wales and have come across a connundrum.

Henry Kyrke SMITH (b 29 November 1851 Liverpool) was the youngest child of Edward SMITH and his wife Sarah MAY. With a name like Edward SMITH, I didn't give much to my chances but the 1851 census has him aged 51 years, a brewer in Liverpool but born Corfe Castle, Dorset. His age is confirmed by his age at the time of his death (and by his entry in the 1841 census).

But why give his youngest sone the name Kyrke?

Well the only lead I have is that there is a birth/christening (4 Feb 1809, 20 June 1809) at the Presbyterian Chapel, Wareham (close by Corfe Castle), Dorset of Edward son of Charles Roe SMITH. The link to the northwest is confirmed by Charles Roe SMITH clockmaker/gunmaker associated with an Edward SMITH both being in Bangor before Charles Roe SMITH emigrated to Philadelphia in the 1830s. In addtion, Edward's son Thomas May SMITH named a son Charles Roe SMITH.

Now Charles ROE (b 1715 Castleton Derbyshire) was an important industrialist based in Macclesfield who happened to be in business with my  Kyrkes and whose grand-daughter married a Kyrke. The father of Charles ROE (industrialist) was Rev. Thomas ROE who was christened 8 Nov 1670 at Munslow.

The Dorset Roe family seems to start with the marriage of one Robert ROE to Elizabeth BROOKS 24 December 1704, at Corfe Castle.

So could there be a link between the Shropshire and the Dorset Roes, some time during the 18th century?

Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)