Author Topic: Povey family Coat Hanger  (Read 2774 times)

Offline PaulC120

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Povey family Coat Hanger
« on: Tuesday 05 June 12 20:00 BST (UK) »
Can anyone provide any general information on Povey & Sons, Tailors of 23 Cliffe High Street Lewes?  circa 1905 to  ???

I received  this from a friend who knew of my Berkshire Povey family connections and that some of these ancestors had emigrated to Sussex and while clearing a close relatives house in South Wales found this coathanger.

We have no idea how it got to South Wales as his relative had no connections with Sussex.

It is too early to say if this John Povey is part of the same Povey line, but by a strange coincidence some of these Berkshire Poveys did emigrate to the Cardiff area

any info appriciated
PaulC
Carter - Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Leicester, Surrey
Povey - Berkshire, Sussex, Glamorgan, U.S.A.
Havell - Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Canada, Argentina
Hunt – Berkshire
Franklin – Berkshire
Mowlson – Berkshire
Chandler - Berkshire, Somerset
Wallin – Berkshire
Johnson – Berkshire
Druce - Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire
Gandy - Hampshire, Glamorgan
Phillips - Hampshire
Rowe - Buckinghamshire
Cook - Hampshire,
Cruse - Hampshire
Eyles - Hampshire
Leppard - Oxfordshire, Glamorgan

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Povey family Coat Hanger
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 09:14 BST (UK) »
All I can add is that the address is a Grade II listed building and the following confirms Poveys were still trading from that address in 1926
    Alteration to shop front, 23 Cliffe High Street, Lewes for Messrs Povey and Son
    by Ernest H[enry] Fuller, 19 High Street, Lewes, architect  dla25/DL/A/25/698  1 Dec 1926

Roy G

Offline PaulC120

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 June 12 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy

thanks for the information. I have found from the 1891 Kellys Directories that a John Povey, a Tailor was at 23, Friars Walk & a Frederick Povey, a Tailor was at 23 Cliffe High Street. From the 1881 there is also a William Povey, a Tailor at Keere Street, Lewes.

Hopefully I will get to the library tomorrow and be able to sort out the family info

Thanks
PaulC
Carter - Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Leicester, Surrey
Povey - Berkshire, Sussex, Glamorgan, U.S.A.
Havell - Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Canada, Argentina
Hunt – Berkshire
Franklin – Berkshire
Mowlson – Berkshire
Chandler - Berkshire, Somerset
Wallin – Berkshire
Johnson – Berkshire
Druce - Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire
Gandy - Hampshire, Glamorgan
Phillips - Hampshire
Rowe - Buckinghamshire
Cook - Hampshire,
Cruse - Hampshire
Eyles - Hampshire
Leppard - Oxfordshire, Glamorgan

Offline Mitchelli

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 August 19 19:02 BST (UK) »
hi i've joined this site just to respond albeit a long time since your post to let you know that I was married to a Povey ! my wife was the daughter of Pamela Povey who was the daughter of William Povey all of whom lived in Lewes and are buried in Lewes, East Sussex, in the same cemetery as other Povey relatives most of whom worked in the tailoring shop William being the last to be connected to the shop. I have a coat hanger exactly the same as the one in your photos and can confirm that these hangers did come from the shop in Cliffe High Street which is now an opticians. I am too excited to say much more but I have some family history which links this part of the family to Hungerford.
I have just one coat hanger left and would dearly love to have another if you were willing to part with it.
The Povey name continues in that Pamela had a brother Patrick who had a son Richard who I still have contact with.

I hope that this is of interest.

Regards

Ian Mitchell.