Author Topic: PARISH CHURCH RECORDS  (Read 9319 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
PARISH CHURCH RECORDS
« on: Wednesday 06 June 12 13:22 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the name of the Catholic Church in Lisscarrol in order to confirm the date of a Baptismal record. I can't even find a reference to a Church.

Does anyone know the name and address of the local Catholic Church where I could find the records?

Thanking you in anticipation

Margaret  :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: PARISH CHURCH RECORDS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 13:45 BST (UK) »
There's been an RC Church in Liscarroll town, presumably the parish church, just west of the town centre back to at least the 1830s. Dont know if it's the same name these days, but on the 1890s map it's referred to as "St. Joseph's"

Historic records for the parish are available on microfilm Pos. 4999 in the National Library.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 13:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane I'll have to see if I can access them somehow. I live in England so it's a bit too far to travel.

Margaret :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 13:55 BST (UK) »
There's a possibility that transcripts might be included on the pay-website at RootsIreland for the parish....  I'll try to confirm..

It's not listed as Liscarroll but Churchtown.. which is one of the civil parishes included in Liscarrol RC parish.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 13:58 BST (UK) »
I think it's the same parish - the dates covered match and the NLI Index lists film 4999 as 'Liscarroll and Churchtown'.

There seems to be two slightly overlapping registers covering  baptisms from early 1812, and marriages from early 1813.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 14:22 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant Shane I am looking for a birth that should be 1878 but the only one I can find on familysearch is 1874 so I'll have to prove it through the Baptismal records. Luckily enough I do have the name of one brother and hopefully this will lead to the name of their parents. I need to prove that he is my great uncle to clear up a family mystery.

Thanks once again your help is really appreciated.

Margaret

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi 'aggie...'

Do you want to give us the names so we can try and help ?

Tara

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 15:01 BST (UK) »

Thanks for the offer of some help.

I am looking for James Wigmore and his brother Stephen. James was born circa 1878 and I know that is the correct date from the 1901 and 1911 census but I'm not sure about Stephen's birth year, both were born in Liscarrol.

The only other clue I have is that they were distantly related to Archbishop Mannix.

I found a James Wigmore born 1874 in Liscarrol to Stephen Wigmore and Ann Brien but the baptism is too early so I'm really stuck now.

Margaret

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Do you have a marriage cert for either James or Stephen to confirm their father's name ?

The free index on ifhf shows the James b 1874 in Churchtown RC Church to Stephen  that you have found on family search

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0naa/

The free index shows a James Wigmore baptised 1878 in Churchtown RC Church to a James Wigmore and Kate O'Callaghan

This is some of their children of familysearch (note a son called Stephen)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0na9/

As you probably know none of these sites are infallable and what's on one isn't necessarily on the other

Tara