Author Topic: Battle of jutland  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Rosie lynch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Battle of jutland
« on: Wednesday 06 June 12 15:50 BST (UK) »
Stoker 1st Class Thomas Wragg of H.M.S. "Black Prince." Royal Navy, died on 31/05/1916 aged 24. Cause of death: Killed in action at Battle of Jutland.

Son of Thomas and Lily Wragg, of 18, Grundon St., Abbeygate, Leicester. Stoker 1st Class Wragg is buried at Portsmouth Naval Memorial in United Kingdom. Grave ref: 20

Other information:

Service number: SS/111103

Awards: Unknown

Could you please tell me which memorial he is burried at . Thank you

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of jutland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 16:08 BST (UK) »
He isn't buried there - Portsmouth Naval Memorial simply has the list of sailors who died during WW1.

From CWGC.org:
After the First World War, an appropriate way had to be found of commemorating those members of the Royal Navy who had no known grave, the majority of deaths having occurred at sea where no permanent memorial could be provided.

An Admiralty committee recommended that the three manning ports in Great Britain - Chatham, Plymouth and Portsmouth - should each have an identical memorial of unmistakable naval form, an obelisk, which would serve as a leading mark for shipping. The memorials were designed by Sir Robert Lorimer, who had already carried out a considerable amount of work for the Commission, with sculpture by Henry Poole. The Portsmouth Naval Memorial was unveiled by the Duke of York (the future George VI) on 15 October 1924.

Portsmouth Naval Memorial commemorates around 10,000 sailors of the First World War and almost 15,000 of the Second World War.

The memorial is on Southsea Common overlooking the promenade.
Have a look at http://www.memorials.inportsmouth.co.uk/southsea/naval.htm

I presume Thomas' name is on panel 20?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 16:10 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately HMS Black Prince was sunk with all hands at the Battle of Jutland. His name is on the crew list here
http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/jutland/hms_black_prince_casualty_list_1916.htm

His name appears on the Portsmouth Memorial as one of the many who were lost at sea.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosie lynch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 16:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for these replies, they are really helpful.

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 June 12 09:17 BST (UK) »
If you have not done so already, his service record can be downloaded:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=7296353&queryType=1&resultcount=1

According to the medal roll he was awarded the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Martin

Offline Elaine280

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 October 18 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie

I’m researching my husbands tree at the moment and not sure if Thomas is his great uncle. His grandmother was Doris Wragg who married Arthur Beckett.  I’ve ordered her birth certificate, I think her mother’s maiden name was Hanson.

Elaine

Offline Elaine280

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 October 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry Henson, not Hanson x

Offline WilsdenBoy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 June 20 19:45 BST (UK) »
The Wraggs were also in Nottinghamshire and my grandfather Arthur Wragg was a Royal Marine aboard HMS Royalist which saw heavy action but survived the day. Sailors bodies which washed up on the coast of Denmark, Norway and Sweden were buried there ( over 200) . Most were never recovered and are on the memorials ( over 6000).

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 22:37 BST (UK) »
My relative Jack Cornwell died in Grimsby from wounds received, finally buried in London. Suggest you look near his former home
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)