Author Topic: Name change? COMPLETED  (Read 7029 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Name change?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 June 12 16:35 BST (UK) »
Regarding archives and records, apart from Graham's notes, have a look at the links here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,504513.0.html

The first sections: Archives and Family History Groups and also, Burials and Monumental Inscriptions. If you are planning your trip soon, might make sense to contact the various archives and confirm what information and records they hold that could help you with your research.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fraser1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 June 12 23:29 BST (UK) »
Monica and Graham,

Thanks very much for all the information and links.  It will take me sometime to go through it all.  I have found an entry on FreeCen 1841 for Peter Dempster age 85 and Janet Dempster age 75, address Garvald Village.  Two others in house - James Cunningham age 28 and Jane Cunningham age 2 so a little more information.  I have also found some Janet Grieve births round about the right time on FreeReg.  A lot of the sites are new to me so I look forward to spending time on them.

Thanks again

Sandra

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 June 12 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Glad you are getting results with FreeReg, I find it extremely good for East Lothian, whereas next door, Midlothian hardly ever gets results..

I put Father's name when I am looking for births/baptisms, it will bring you the whole family if they are within time period. I also check the "Soundex" boss to be able to get over the misspelt and mistranscribed.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 June 12 18:52 BST (UK) »
Great leads Tom that you provided from FreeReg  ;) Sandra, lots of clues also there from the christening entries for the family to follow up on.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fraser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 June 12 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Thanks to everyone for all your help and expertise.  The name change has been explained and further documents traced confirm this.  I'll close topic.

A wee update (I am spending too much time on this - but it is so engrossing) using the FreeReg entry I was able to get Janet's dc on sp 25 Sept 1857 aged 93!  father Andrew Grieve mother Helen Blythe.

I have run out of sp credits so a trip to the library and printer has run out of ink means I'll have to stop for now.

Great big thanks

Kind regards

Sandra