Author Topic: Devonshire Regiment  (Read 3334 times)

Offline martinweston46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Devonshire Regiment
« on: Thursday 07 June 12 09:38 BST (UK) »
My grandfather ALBERT CHARLES WESTON was born on 23 January 1893.According to his medal card he served in the Devonshire Regiment from 5 September 1915 to 13 May 1919. His Regimental Numbers were 2406, 267731. His rank was Corporal later Acting or Assistant Sergeant.  His medal card also says he was awarded the 1914-15 Star, the Allied Victory Medal and the British War Medal, the card says Theatre of War first served in = (3) Egypt.

Although Albert never talked to me or my father about his war service, family tradition has it that he took part in the Battle of the Somme and spent most of his service on the Western Front. Since his medal does not does not show him as a Private, he may have had Territorial Army Service before the war started.

As his Service Record has not survived (I can’t find it in the British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920 on Ancestry) I do not know what Battalion of the Devonshire Regiment he served in.

Using the above information. Can anyone help me identify his Battalion and Unit and let me know where his unit was during the war?

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Devonshire Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 June 12 10:23 BST (UK) »
You may find contacting the Regimental Museum some help.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nbl/

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 June 12 11:56 BST (UK) »
Assuming he was not a regular the most likely fit seems to be the 2/5th Battalion which was raised in 1915 and sent to Egypt where it was disbanded in June 1916. I can't see any indication of where the men from the Battalion were then drafted but assume they were used to make up shortages in the other service battalions some of which were in India and others on the Western Front.
The battle of the Somme started in July 1916 and went on until mid-November, so this seems to fit with the disbandment in Egypt. There were 4 Battalions of the Devons at the Somme, see Wikipedia "Order of battle for the Battle of the Somme". Another helpful site is "http://www.1914-1918.net/devons.htm" which gives details of the Regiment's battalion.

Good hunting !

Maec (ex Devons)
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline martinweston46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 June 12 12:17 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you both

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 June 12 19:15 BST (UK) »
His theatre of war entry date matches with 2/5th Devons so maybe if you can get the War Diary (at Kew more than likely) and see if it gives the re-organisation of troops after disbandment to get his 2nd Battalion.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline martinweston46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 June 12 19:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ady