Author Topic: Blyth Market Square circa 1960  (Read 67128 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth Market Square circa 1960
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 09 June 12 01:33 BST (UK) »
One other point of interest that I failed to mention, is that St Mary's lighthouse can be seen on the horizon.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 09 June 12 01:46 BST (UK) »
An amusing point of personal interest is the original West Pier. There was the Inner West Pier and the Outer West Pier. The Outer West Pier ran from the dunes out into the bay and the end of it was topped off with a navigation light. On some plans of the harbour, the Outer West Pier is also referred to as the Training Wall. I initially thought that the wall must have been used by cadets on vessels or something for various things, perhaps like mooring of vessels or that ilk of training, however I was very wrong. The Training Wall was designed to 'train' the river Blyth. It was built in such a way as to accelerate the flow of the river close by the harbour entrance, thus scouring the river bed helping to reduce the build up of sand and silt in the harbour entrance, therefore reducing the need for dredging and help keep the navigable channel clear. The harbour entrance for many years suffered with a sand bar, and this wall moved the water in such a way  as to clear the sand bar away. One lives and learns!  ;D  The original Outer West Pier was dismantled after the construction of the 'new' west pier circa 1914. On aerial photos the line of the original pier can still be seen as a shadow beneath the water. There is still a navigation lamp that marks the end of the original Outer West Pier.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 09 June 12 09:05 BST (UK) »
I'm sure I remember playing in that box as a kid in the 60's and watching a "puffing billy" travel along the line to the staithes.  :-\
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 09 June 12 10:59 BST (UK) »
  Phodgetts, your certainly raking up some lovely memories of our town,
                  Many thanks, Dolly
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 10 June 12 00:13 BST (UK) »
Here is a cracking picture taken during WW2 when the South Harbour was also used as a submarine base.

The sub's are moored off the West Quay / Fish Quay. In the background can be seen the Transit Shed. Further on, on the North Quay can be seen the bucket dredger Cowpen. On the right, moored against the Middle Jetty can be seen the sub's support vessel or Depot Ship No. 6,  'Titania'.

I had thought initially that this looked like a picture from WW1, however various facts (build dates etc.) about 'Titania' and submarine H28 prove that the picture can only have been taken at the time of WW2. Judging by the shadows, the lady has gone for an evening stroll. I am surprised that she would have been allowed to walk in such a sensitive place given the nature of the military hardware she is looking at, perhaps it is even more amazing that the person she was walking with took the photograph! Unless it was something to do with home war news. It certainly wouldn't be allowed these days. You can just make out the sub crews working away on the fore decks.

P

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 10 June 12 09:08 BST (UK) »
Phil, I googled H23 and H28; the Submarine heritage centre (Barrow) website, (http://www.submarineheritage.com/gallery_h28.htm) states the H class were completed to late to see service in WW1 and that all except H28, H 31 & H32 were scrapped in the 1930's. H28 being eventaually scrapped in 1944. As H23 is in the photo I think your first thought is probably more accurate and the photo was taken some time after the end of WW1.
Cheers
Pete
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 10 June 12 18:19 BST (UK) »
The newly completed houses in Millfield Gardens, Blyth. Not sure when exactly they were completed. The development doesn't show up on the 1924 map, but does on the 1937. I thought the houses might have been built late 20s.

Makes for interesting comparison with today. Note the shipyard structures sticking up in the background.

I could imagine for those living in the slum that was Cowpen Square, that these new houses might have offered a much brighter future for the tenants.

P

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 10 June 12 18:32 BST (UK) »
I too think the pic of the Titania was more WW1 ,
               judging bythe ladys dress alone and the pram?
                            Dolly

Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 11 June 12 00:13 BST (UK) »
I, too, thought the clothes and the pram were more WW1 but I was a bit puzzled by the lack of security.

According to my colleagues down at Blyth Battery this photo was taken in 1919.

10 out of 10, fremund  ;D

Christine