Author Topic: Key word notifications  (Read 1658 times)

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
Key word notifications
« on: Thursday 07 June 12 20:50 BST (UK) »
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but I can't seem to find it...

Is there any way I can get notified by email when a keyword is used in a post?  For example, I'm interested in the name "Snowden".  Is there any way that I can receive an email alert if anyone enters the word "Snowden" when they make a post?

Thanks!  Phil.
Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Key word notifications
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 June 12 21:54 BST (UK) »
This is not something I've come across.  You can search for "Snowden" in all posts on RootsChat using the search facility and then turn on notifications for any thread that might seem to be of possible interest.  It turns up three pages of threads.  Some of the instances of Snowden are in the names of streets  You could narrow the search by only looking for any occurrence in a particular county or counties.

Such a search would not pick up variant spellings though.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 June 12 23:14 BST (UK) »
You could try setting up a google alert. It will then mail you when it finds something. No guarantee if it will be new posts or old ones as it seems to throw them up on random crawls of the net...

Go to
http://www.google.com/alerts

in the search box put the term you are after and specify the rootschat website  .. ie put all of this in the box:

Snowden site:www.rootshchat.com

Snowden site:www.rootschat.com

Then over the next few days you will start to get alerts mailed to you. Initially it will be old posts but gradually it will start to find newer ones as well. There is a delay in google finding posts but they should pop up eventually.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 June 12 00:15 BST (UK) »
I was going to suggest the same thing as Milly. I have done this with one of my rare surnames, and Google never fails to inform me of new posts within a few hours at most. The only problem is that the only person posting the surname is me. ::) But at least I know it works!

Alexander

Snowden site:www.rootshchat.com
P.S. You probably want to remove the first 'h' from Rootschat, or it won't find anything  ;)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 June 12 00:44 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D Just checking you were all paying attention ;D ;D

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 June 12 10:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, I'll create a few Google Alerts.  Regards, Phil.
Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden