Author Topic: Catherine Veitch, Teacher in Ballyconnell 1827 married G.A.[de]Winter  (Read 9834 times)

Offline IrishAndOtherOfOZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Veitch, Teacher in Ballyconnell 1827 married G.A.[de]Winter
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 June 12 05:01 BST (UK) »
By the way, Dave, and Elwyn, when e.g. John Veitch was "on the Irish half-pay" in the military, was it because they were in the Reserve, or invalided out, or what? Do you know? Why the "Irish" in "Irish half-pay"?

Also, it seems to me from IGP records that members of the Royal Irish Constabulary were more often than not stationed in counties other than those where they were born, though IGP does usually record both county of birth and county where stationed etc... which is helpful.

Would John, a Cornet in 28th Dragoons be part of the Royal Irish Constabulary, or is this something quite different?

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 June 12 06:26 BST (UK) »
The 28th Dragoons was a military unit; Cornet was the most junior rank of Officer in cavalry regiments, subsequently replaced/renamed by 2nd Lieutenant. The Royal Irish Constabulary was the civilian police force and so completely different but it was common for ex-army men to join the police.

Army (and Navy) Officers who were not required during peacetime were usually put on half pay. Those in regiments based in Ireland appear to have received exactly half their full-time pay (Irish half-pay) whereas those in English military establishments got a slightly different payment which included a calculation for servants and fodder, though I don’t really know the details, nor why the difference.

You are correct that members of the RIC were not stationed in counties where they were born, or where they had family connections. When joining the RIC, they also had to be between 19 & 27 years of age (18 for a candidate whose father was in the RIC or had been). They had to be single, or a widower with no dependant children. They had to have served 7 years before they could apply to marry (though I have seen some exceptions to that). They also had to be at least 5ft 8 in height.
Elwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 June 12 08:52 BST (UK) »
I've now realised we can rule out John Veitch, Cornet... , who married Rose Anne Swanzy, because he died d.s.p. (without progeny). However, apparently Charles Veitch had other son/s, so another son of Charles might have been my Catherine's father. There was a Charles Veitch of Killeshandra on a list of flaxgrowers in 1796. Maybe he was the same Charles as the Cornet's father....
I found, and "Old Irish Graveyards: county Cavan, part III by Eileen Hewson has (p. 7) a memorial "In loving memory of FRANCIS and REBECCA VEITCH AND FAMILY of Carramore".
Since I don't find places like Carramore and Roseville in a list of Townlands, presumably they are houses? (by contrast, Gartinardress turns out to be a Townland in Killeshandra Civil Parish)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 June 12 12:40 BST (UK) »
Yes he was the eldest son of Charles Veitch, of Gartinardress...so by implication there were other sons or a son. Plus the Pedigree in RCB should show them in Galway and another Veitch marriage. Yes he died with no issue

The Swanzys/Nixon/Frenchs etc were extremely well-connected and were very "selective" with marriages.

"http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/region/articles/2008/01/23/25752-school-reunion-committee-seek-your-help/  mentions Carramore.

You don't say which graveyard Francis is in.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 June 12 16:50 BST (UK) »
The Gravestone of Francis and Rebecca and Family (I wish they had named the others) was in Tomregan C. of I. in Ballyconnell, and undated according to Eileen Hewson.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 June 12 18:18 BST (UK) »
Yes I know the feeling, some of mine just give the Surname!

The ones on this thread certainly appear to be part of one lot and the Legaland ones...as they appear to own property it might be easier researching Land Registry backed up by Wills and Deeds. Property is far better recorded than people!

Richard Veitch of Legaland, Co Cavan died of cholera in August 1833 at a young age in New York so would he be on any Census or can his father's name be got? I'd presume buried in NY...would there be obits?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Chris Kirk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 September 13 18:39 BST (UK) »
I came across the name Veaitch listed in the Killeshandra, Co. Cavan Hearth Tax records dated to 1665. There are also some Veaitch burials in the old Killeshandra graveyard, quote:
Here lyeth the body of James Veaitch, who dyed March 3rd 1714 aged 97 years and of his wife Ennet, who dyed October 6th 1702 aged 58 years. Also here lyeth the body of John Veaitch, who dyed February 26th 1724, aged 50 years.