Author Topic: Help date of Victorian photo  (Read 2709 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Help date of Victorian photo
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 February 19 14:14 GMT (UK) »
You may also get some additional expert opinions from the (absolutely wonderful) Photo Restoration Board here.

You could post a link to this thread, or ask a moderator to move it for you.

And even if you don't want to do either of those things, I recommend a little browse of the threads there which are endlessly interesting...... :D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 February 19 16:29 GMT (UK) »
You may also get some additional expert opinions from the (absolutely wonderful) Photo Restoration Board here.

And even if you don't want to do either of those things, I recommend a little browse of the threads there which are endlessly interesting...... :D

14 year old thread!

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 February 19 17:00 GMT (UK) »
From the cap, sleeves, and bodice, I'd go 1890s - if not very early 1900s. Remember, people didn't ditch outfits as soon as fashion moved on, they wore what they had, and if the quality was good, they'd last for ages.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 February 19 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Even though the original post is from 14 years ago and so far no conclusion or feedback about the date of the photo. I am still interested to know the answer.

Andy_T
Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 February 19 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Even though the original post is from 14 years ago and so far no conclusion or feedback about the date of the photo. I am still interested to know the answer.

Andy_T

The concensus is that the outfit is 1890s (as mentioned a couple of times). If she was wearing an old dress, it might be later. 

It is usually recommended that when posting a photo for dating, you include all edges and the back of the photo. If the OP is still not satisfied with the estimates given 14 years ago, she should re-post the photo and include the edges and back, and the dating may be able to be given a little more accurately.

Andy, if you are interested in the date of this particular photo there are several sites which give help/instruction for dating old photographs. I don’t have them to hand at present, but I am sure that google will throw up lots of results if you enter some appropriate search terms.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 February 19 07:53 GMT (UK) »

14 year old thread!

Goodness me! It’s these posts popping up on the bottom of the page, isn’t it!

My comments still stand though 😃
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 February 19 11:30 GMT (UK) »
From enlarging it to 300%, I think the street address is 5 Cobden Chambers, Pelham Street.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 February 19 21:35 GMT (UK) »
arthurk: There was a photographer's studio at the address you gave "in the 1800's according to this link:
https://beesmakehoneycc.com/2014/03/06/cobden-chambers-reclaiming-nottingham/

There was another photographer on Pelham Street in 1893 (not George Schofield):
Wednesday 08 February 1893 The Nottingham Evening Post advertisement:
“ Youth wanted, just left school. - Apply E. P. Short, Photographer, Britannia Chambers, Pelham-Street. “

I tried enlarging the "stern lady" photo but writing is so smudged it's hard to be sure.

I found Photographer George Schofield in Nottingham Census records and in Wright's Trade Directory. and he worked as a photographer. He variously described himself at different times starting out as a Designer, then a Photographer, a Draper & Hosier & Outfitter.
Perhaps he bobbed about between these occupations all at the same time. If so, that's not helpful to date the photo.

If we take the dates and occupations given below strictly then I would conclude the photo was taken   
between dates 1891 - 1894.

George Schofield Born 1856, Nottingham
1881 Census Event place Nottingham St Nicholas, Residence St James Street, Age 25, Occupation Designer (Page 5, Registration No RG11, Piece / Folio 3367/6)

1891 Census Event Place Nottingham St Mary, Residence Shakespeare Street, Age 35, Occupation Photographer (Page 11, Registration NO RG12, Piece / Folio 2692 / 101)

1894 – 1895, Wrights’ Directory Nottingham George Schofield Hosier and Outfitter 59 Queens Road, Nottingham. (See attached; I marked George Schofield with yellow mark - His father John Schofield, Boot Maker in St James St is on line 2 below George)

1901 Census Event place Nottingham, St Wilfreds Wilford, Residence Wilford Crescent End, Age 44, Occupation Draper Shopkeeper (Page 15, Schedule Type 95)

Andy_T
Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw