Author Topic: Dennis Harley, disappeared ca. 1912  (Read 5228 times)

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dennis Harley, disappeared ca. 1912
« on: Monday 11 June 12 05:13 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

According to his civil birth certificate my great-uncle, Dennis Harley, was born in Mullaghderg Mountain Pasture on 15 February 1888; he is also living there at the time of the 1901 and 1911 Census.

It's what happened afterwards that confounds me.  Apparently, he left home one day and never returned.  I understand that this was relatively common behavior for some people at the time, it was supposed to be out of character for my great-uncle.  One story has him on a boat to Australia but he gets thrown overboard by someone. 

In any case, I have tried looking on a few sites but haven't found him.  I wonder if anyone has any ideas...

Best wishes,
Owen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dennis Harley, disappeared ca. 1912
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 June 12 06:32 BST (UK) »
A Denis Harley arrived in New York 18 June 1911 from the port of Londonderry giving residence as Anagry (Annagry, Co. Donegal) which isn't that far from Mullaghderg (less that 4 miles) from what I can see on Google Maps. He was going to brother Patk(?) Harley in Butte, Montana and father was James Harley of ___(?) Anagry. You can see both pages of the passenger manifest for full details at www.ellisisland.org.

For reference, here's family in 1911 census (father James)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Annagary/Mullaghderg_Mountain_Pasture/488824
and 1901 census (older brother Paddy could be Patrick in Montana?)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Annagary/Mullaghderg_Mountain/1178587
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline derrylass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 June 12 09:05 BST (UK) »
Denis in PA in 1920 with wife Bridget and in New York in 1930. In 1930 his brother Charles is living with him.

Charles immigrated from Airdrie Scotland in 1922 to Denis in PA.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passRecord.asp?MID=15557622800019226016&FNM=CHARLES&LNM=HARLEY&PLNM=HARLEY&first_kind=1&last_kind=0&TOWN=null&SHIP=null&RF=9&pID=604762010126

Bridget was a widow in 1940.

Patrick crossed border from Canada to Butte in Nov 1910.

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 June 12 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much for this information!  I'm going to have to check into it though because while the location, Rannyhual (Mullaghderg Mountain Pasture),  Anagary, and age are all correct, I thought the parents were named Denis Harley and Isabella Boyle.   Denis, the father, died in 1895 when Dennis, the son, would have been a child. 

Perhaps James was his brother-in-law and he put him down as his father because I know he did have an older sister named Mary.  I'll check into it.

Offline derrylass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 June 12 16:44 BST (UK) »
Denis, son of Denis and Isabella, is not living with Isabella in Mullaghderg Mtn in 1911

Denis, son of James and Mary, is living with his parents and grandmother in Mullaghderg Mtn in 1911

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 02:31 BST (UK) »
Well, I just checked with my father who knows this set of Harleys listed as living on Mullaghderg Mountain Pasture on the 1901/1911, but they are not the same Harleys.  He knew about this Denis and that he went to New York and Montana.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 06:41 BST (UK) »
Well, I just checked with my father who knows this set of Harleys listed as living on Mullaghderg Mountain Pasture on the 1901/1911, but they are not the same Harleys.  He knew about this Denis and that he went to New York and Montana.

Does this mean that Denis Harley is not your-greatuncle?
Or that the Denis Harley from Mullaghderg Mountain Pasture isn't the one you are looking for?

If you can clarify exactly details of who you are now looking for we can start searching again.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 15:14 BST (UK) »
That Denis Harley is actually a first cousin once-removed of my paternal grandmother, but not my great uncle.

Another Denis Harley who appears on the 1901 Census *is* my great uncle.  His parents are Denis Harley (d. 1895) and Isabella (Elizabeth/Bella) Boyle (d. 1932).

I don't see my great uncle Denis on the 1911 Census but he is listed on the 1901 Census as being 12 years old:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Annagary/Mullaghderg_Mountain/1178572/

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 15:30 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention that my Dennis could be "Dennis" or "Denis" :)