Author Topic: Looking for a NSW death - Laura Olwen Jones  (Read 7469 times)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a NSW death - Laura Olwen Jones
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 July 12 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
As requested, Ivor Jones and Percy Jones Death Notice.

It may be a good idea to inform Ryerson that your lookup is no longer need so that valuable volunteer resources can be put toward other lookups.

Cheers :)
cupoflife

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 July 12 08:21 BST (UK) »
Percy was 87 at time of death and it looks like his ashes were taken.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Hercule Poirot

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 July 12 10:04 BST (UK) »
Diolch yn fawr iawn.

We have the correct Percy confirmed by his children.

Ivor needs further confirmation, if notice is correct he should have been 78 going on 79 and from the notice but that is not disclosed, he looks to have remarried. He emigrated on 11th June 1951 with his wife Martha. I have them on in 1954 as a couple in Victoria but in 1958 Ivor is on his own in New South Wales living with other family members (mother / sister / brother etc but no spouse). Cannot find a death for his Martha but will order their UK marriage certificate today to get more information on her.

As I  currently have it, Laura, Ivor & Percy's mother emigrated with 2 grandchildren and all 4 of her children in the early 1950's. I am valid to obtain copies of the death certificate of the mother and her eldest son direct from NSW @ $30 aus each as they both died over 30 years ago (1964 / 1976).

I am now well advanced on child children of P, L & I. - indeed I have found a contact on Ancestry of a lady who married into the family to one of Percy's sons. I have offered my email address to share data as she has wrong UK information in her research, but alas I cannot get her to email me.

My next approach will be via the undertakers to pass on my details to family members, as with everything else it is a 50 / 50 ball game.

What I find fascinating is Laura's PDF has so far been downloaded 19 times, Ivor's 7 times and Percy's 5 times - yet nobody else has contributed to this thread !!.

If you didn't know what the Welsh is - THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 July 12 10:10 BST (UK) »
What I find fascinating is Laura's PDF has so far been downloaded 19 times, Ivor's 7 times and Percy's 5 times - yet nobody else has contributed to this thread !!.

It just means it has been looked at, not actually saved.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 July 12 10:29 BST (UK) »

JONES   Ivor (Taffy)
Death notice   23MAY1997   Death
late of Peakhurst
Daily Telegraph (Sydney)   30MAY1997   

How do you know this is him?

Jamjar

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 July 12 10:50 BST (UK) »
Many people simply read the threads out of interest.  Why would anyone wish to dowload the notices.

I am valid to obtain copies of the death certificate of the mother and her eldest son direct from NSW @ $30 aus each as they both died over 30 years ago (1964 / 1976).

Transcriptions are available at AUD$18 and are emailed to you.
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToTraceYouFamTree.htm#TranscriptionAgent

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hercule Poirot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 July 12 11:00 BST (UK) »
I have now sorted out Laura, Percy and eldest brother plus their mother, only one left now is Ivor so I am researching all avenues.

I have found Ivor on 1954 (with wife Martha)  & 1958 ER in NSW (with mum, brother & sister, brother Percy is on same ER page in 1958), I have also found 2 Ivor's in 1977 and 1980 with a Beverley Dawn who is mentioned on the DN you gratefully supplied, and they were in Peakhurst. Of all the Ivor Jones's deaths found by a Ryerson Index search only two stand out, all others are of wrong age as Ivor was born late 1918 / early 1919.

I am hoping further research with surviving family members who are my distant 3rd cousins may solve my research, in the meantime I plod on.

There is another death in 1982 but again his age doesn't appear - I do know his "son's" name, he was born before Ivor married Martha in Blaenau Ffestiniog, and the son is likely to be her child from a previous marriage / partner or Ivor's before he placed the band of gold on Martha's finger. Later today I will order Ivor's UK marriage certificate for more detailed information.

The other death notice I found is below, and Punchbowl is where I found his ER record 1977 / 1980. I have also found his son in NSW in 1980 ER, but he may well have moved by now. It is a pity that Aussie records are not as open as our UK databases. I cannot confirm this 1982 death with the NSW Archive as they only allow current searches up to 1981

JONES   Ivor
Death notice   17DEC1982   Death
at Kogarah, late of Lakemba, formerly of Punchbowl
Sydney Morning Herald   18DEC1982   

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 July 12 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
Hopefully this can confirm/eliminate for Ivor Jones.

Cheers :)
cupoflife

Offline Hercule Poirot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 July 12 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you everybody for all your contributions.

Ivor still remains unclear, as I have no ages on the death notices to confirm. At the end of 2012 the 1982 death should be available under the 30 year rule to check who his parents are listed as I positively know about them.

I am very interested in the transcription agent facility for Ivor's mum and eldest brother, their death search has been confirmed by parents data on death index.

At least I now have undertaker's names who dealt with Laura and Percy and have found them on a web search.