Author Topic: Hiram Portfield  (Read 5379 times)

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hiram Portfield
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

The following may help you in identifying members of the family, and is a reconstruction of his service history while in the Coastguard Service from the CG Establishment Books.

He first entered the CG Service on 5 July 1831 having previously served on the Revenue Cruiser Mermaid. You could trace back his service on Mermaid by consulting her Muster Book (ADM 119/76) at the National Archives, unfortunately this can only be done in person. His first posting was to Priory CG Station near Hastings (ADM 175/5 pdf 249).

On 31 October 1831 he was promoted to Commisioned Boatman remaining at Priory. On 12 October 1841 he was transferred to Bridlington Quay (ADM 175/7 pdf 621), then on 29 August 1856 to Scarborough (ADM 175/7 pdf 615). The record shows he was promoted to Chief Officer, but he was still rated as a Comm. Boatman at Scarborough.

Given his age it cannot have been long before he was retired. The last record takes him up to 1862.

Pels I'm not sure you are correct about him being widowed in 1851, because on the 1871 Census Jane is very much alive (RG10/4818).

Hope this helps.

Martin
Coastguards of Yesteryear

PS: Have now found his discharge on superannuation, 30 June 1863 (ADM 175/9 pdf 56)

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 18:15 BST (UK) »

Pels I'm not sure you are correct about him being widowed in 1851, because on the 1871 Census Jane is very much alive (RG10/4818).

Fantastic information Martin and of course you are right regarding the 1851 !  :) :) 

To be honest that wasn't a priority at the time because I was still trying to find a link to prove my other findings. With Jane not being there at that point - and not having seen the other returns I've quite obviously misread it.

Pels. :)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 18:33 BST (UK) »

There's also a mention of Hiram Porterfield on FindMyPast in their Merchant Navy Seamen 1835-1941 section, not a lot of information - but still worth a look.

Over to you now Chris, to see what you think.

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Polar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 June 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
 You have all been so busy, thank you, I have the original birth and baptism certificates for William Middleton a son of John and Mary Ann but the mother signed with a cross as she was illiterate. Therefore she wouldn't have noticed that the r was missing from her name.
I believe I got the birthplace of Scarborough from a census record but I have left half my
papers at work so will have to check them tomorrow.
It would be great if the Hiram Porterfield you have is the right one as it puts life into a person instead of just another name and dates.
Thank you once again
Chris

Offline Maureen68

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 October 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
My husband is descended from Hiram PORTERFIELD. I will be happy to share information about the family.

Maureen.

Offline Janet Spence

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 June 17 06:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Maureen, my husband is also descended from Hiram Porterfield - 3rd Great grandfather. I am stuck on finding a marriage date for him and wife Jane. Any ideas??

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 June 17 18:12 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat. Janet.

Unfortunately Maureen only posted once on rootschat, so may not reply to your message.

Hopefully someone else (the original starter of this thread has not been active on here for some time) will be able to help you.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 June 17 18:30 BST (UK) »
Isabella Porterfield was born in about 1842 according to the 1861 census, so if you can find her birth registration that should give you Jane's maiden name.

Added:
This is the only one showing:
Porterfield   (female)  mmn Fife  September quarter 1843 Scilly Isles
    but too late for Isabella who is 8 in 1851.
(And there are other children born in the Sciily Isles, so presumably not her.)

Offline maureenellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 April 19 15:20 BST (UK) »
Are you still seeking information about Hiram?

Maureen