Author Topic: Hiram Portfield  (Read 5367 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hiram Portfield
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 April 19 17:41 BST (UK) »
His first posting was to Priory CG Station near Hastings (ADM 175/5 pdf 249).

On 31 October 1831 he was promoted to Commisioned Boatman remaining at Priory. On 12 October 1841 he was transferred to Bridlington Quay (ADM 175/7 pdf 621),

1841 census has Hiram and what I presume is wife and children in Hastings (St Michael on the rock Coast guard station)
Hiram  40 nbic
Jane 40 nbic
Mary 15 nbic
George 15 nbic
Hiram 10 nbic
Jane 9  bic (Sussex)
Margaret 6 bic
Grace 4 bic

people aged 15 and over rounded to nearest 5 of course
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline maureenellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 April 19 13:03 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies about Hiram. I do have the details from his enlistment in the coastguards, including his birth date of 20th Oct. 1801, all of the census returns and his burial details. Unfortunately I have never been able to find a record of either his baptism or his marriage. A lady who regularly uses Berwick on Tweed records office kindly tried to help in the search but didn't manage to find anything.

Hiram and Jane did have children born after civil registration began but sadly they don't appear to have registered the births. I also tried a local register offices in case a birth had been missed off St Catherine's index but they had no record of a registration.

I found a report in the Kentish Gazette i9n 1833 that Hiram had been fired at whilst on duty and offering a reward for information leading to the offender being convicted.

Maureen

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 April 19 14:26 BST (UK) »
As some children were baptised in a Presbyterian chapel in Spittal, perhaps Hiram was also baptised in a Presbyterian chapel.
They are very close to Scotland, perhaps Hiram and Jane married there

added
Just did a quick search on Scotland's people for Hiram and nothing came up
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline maureenellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 April 19 16:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I did look at the chapel in Spittal but although there were baptisms of Porterfields there Hiram wasn't amongst them. Thanks too for looking on Scotland's people. This couple have certainly added to my grey hairs!

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 April 19 17:09 BST (UK) »
Another thought Hiram and Jane had Mary Ann, then George, then Eneas, then Hiram and Jane. Naming patterns aren't strictly adhered to but Eneas is such an unusual name, I thought it my be looking for any others in the area. An Eneas Swinhoe son of John and Anne was baptised in Tweedmouth on 11 May 1828. He appears on the 1841 census as Ennes Swinney age 13 with John age 44 and Ann age 43. Some of the children are baptised as Swinney in Tweedmouth. The youngest child in the family (also Ann) was born in 1840 mother's maiden name Cowe. There is a baptism for a John Swinhoe in Tweedmouth (residence Spittal) on 14 Aug 1796 s/o John and Elizabeth. John and Elizabeth also had a daughter Jane baptised on 30 Jun 1801 in Tweedmouth. Notes on baptism transcription state she was the first daughter 1st daughter, father is native of this Parish, mother was late CASELEY, native of Hebborn in parish of Chillingham.
Hiram's wife Jane was born Spittal abt 1801 according to census information, so this might fit.
There is a marriage between Elizabeth Caseley and John Swinnow in Cornhill, Northumberland on 27 Oct 1795 which might be the couple.

Just a wild theory but you never know!

Offline maureenellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 06:21 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, when all else fails a bit of wild speculation can work wonders. I will keep this in mind. Surnames used as christian names in my husband's family can all be connected to female ancestor's maiden names, the one exception being ALLISON so I have thought that it possibly could be Jane's maiden name, another bit of a wild theory.