Author Topic: Gray's - hall  (Read 3539 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Gray's - hall
« on: Tuesday 12 June 12 23:15 BST (UK) »
One of my ancestors is recorded as a tailor in this place (date 1783) and I can't trace it.I know it was in Ceres parish.Googling brings up not a lot apart from some people asking the same question.One of them thinks it may also have been called Hall of Teasses,but I have no idea what they base that on.Anyone have any idea whereabouts this place was/is.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Gray's - hall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Found Teasses Ho. on this map -

http://maps.nls.uk/atlas/thomson/view/?rsid=74400166&sid=74400166&mid=544&pdesc=Right%20side

Zoom in 4 times(+ button) and the word Ceres is at the top l/hand side , it's below the first e

ev

Added - Published 1832 , there is no Gray's Hall listed in the index
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Margow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 09:00 BST (UK) »
Possibly Craighall ?

Margow

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 11:21 BST (UK) »
That's in the right area ev,they are still around there 20 years later in Callange,not too far away.

Hi Margow,I had looked at Craighall but discounted it,further along the line are a g and capital C that look unlike the G and y in Gray's.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 11:36 BST (UK) »
Interesting map that ev.I have people in Earlsferry at the same date as the map.I wondered why it was described as in Kilconquhar parish and not Elie which it's joined on to.The parish boundry runs right between them.

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 11:52 BST (UK) »
There's a mention in the Edinburgh Courant on April 30, 1884.  I found it on Google but you need to subscribe to view the page properly.  There is a slightly garbled text version of it, and this is the bit which mentions Gray's Hall (it sounds like part of a farm):

"The FARM of In the ot Ceres as presently possessed by Mr George and o 05 Acres Imperial or thereby Gray's Hall Field adjoining he Farm und containing about 14 Imperial Acres any bn added to tho Farm Tho present Tenant Is not to bo an offerer oml the will bo out by David Taylor Grieve far further particulars apply to John Banker factor on tbo or to Johnston Solicitors Cupar with Uie ormer of whom offers must be lodged on or before the 3d June next"

I'm guessing that it should say something like:
"The farm of, in the lot Ceres as presently possessed by Mr George, and 5 acres imperial or thereby, Gray's Hall Field adjoining the farm and containing about 14 imperial acres any be added to the farm though present tenant is not to be an offerer [garbled] David Taylor, Grieve for further particulars apply to John Banker, factor [garbled] or to Johnston Solicitors, Cupar [garbled] of whom offers must be lodged on or before the 3d June next."

I found this at http://newspaperarchive.com/edinburgh-courant/1884-04-30/page-2

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Archivos,thanks for that,it certainly puts Gray's Hall in the Ceres area.I originally thought I was looking for a village but now wonder if as you say it was all part of a farm or estate.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 12:52 BST (UK) »
David Taylor age 45 , lamb stewart(land steward ?) living Hillteasses Farm House , Ceres in 1881

http://geo.nls.uk/search/#zoom=14&lat=56.26194&lon=-2.94576&layers=B000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFT

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 13:14 BST (UK) »
I see that ev and a little to the north Hall Teasses,I wonder if that and Gray's Hall are one and the same but have had a name change.