Author Topic: 1841/1851 Censuses - George Dockerill - COMPLETED THANKS TO CAROLEW & CRISANE  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
I have a George Dockerill born circa 1828 Bartlow, Cambridgeshire (parents William and Susan).  He married in York in 1852.  From Cambridgeshirefhs site, he would appear to be in Bartlow with his father William and siblings on 1841 but family not in Bartlow on 1851 (that I can see).  Could someone please confirm William's marriage status and occupation on 1841 and also find the family on 1851.

With grateful thanks.

Zephyr
 :)
Census information is Crown Copyright from nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 Censuses - George Dockerill
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 23:48 BST (UK) »
Could someone please confirm William's marriage status and occupation on 1841

He was an agricultural labourer.  Marital status is not shown on 1841 entries
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hello CaroleW

Thank you for confirmation of William's occupation.  A 'senior moment' on my part regarding marital status.

With many thanks.

Zephyr
 ;D

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 00:22 BST (UK) »
1851 HO107/1761/291/7
Gravel Pit Cottages
William Dockerl 64 ag lab
Lidea dau 28 (she was next door in 1841)
Harriet dau 13
John 10 son
All born Bartlow

It says unmarried (U) for all of them including William!

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 01:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Crisane

Thank you for 1851 census information plus the bit that Lydia was living next door on 1841.  Unfortunately, the 1841 details from the cambridgeshirefhs site just lists the Dockerills living Bartlow so one can't differentiate who is living in which household.  Under reference HO107/66/4 it lists William 55, Mary 30, Sarah 18, George 13 and Lydia 15.  I had presumed these were all in one household - so much for presumption!

At least I now know why I couldn't find the family on 1851 - that is one way of spelling the surname that I hadn't thought of!! 

I really appreciate your help, Crisane.

With many thanks.

Zephyr
 ;D

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 Censuses - George Dockerill - COMPLETED THANKS TO CAROLEW & CRISANE
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
Do you have George in 1851?

I can't find one born Cambridgeshire in 1851 but can find him in 1861 with Emily and children.

I don't envy you sorting out the three Williams born around the same year and the couple of george's born around the same time.

Lydia appears to be with an Isabella Jeffries not born in county and what looks  like it says Propertys in the occuption column.  a clue to who is living with who can sometimes be the brackets around the names and/or the "doh" marks in the address column.

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 Censuses - George Dockerill - COMPLETED THANKS TO CAROLEW & CRISANE
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Crisane

Thanks for coming back.  I put a request on the Yorkshire board for 1851 and was given George's whereabouts - in the household of William and Mary Ann Harrison living 12 Townend Street.  Apparently George's place of birth has been "dittoed" as York.  George is down as Cab Driver aged 22.  I feel sure this will be him.  From freebmd, the first Dockerill birth I have found in York is in 1853, the year after George and Emily married.

I've really just started on this line of my tree.  As I live in Yorkshire I can manage to visit Leeds library now and again which has some parish records from York but the Dockerills are difficult as they are down in Norfolk.  However, with the big help of the people on Rootschat I am starting to make some headway.

Thank you for the bit about Lydia.  I've yet to sort out all of George's brothers and sisters.  I have a list of the baptisms in Bartlow from the Cambridgeshire FHS site and also details of Dockerills in Bartlow on the 1841 census.  From this William appears to be living with Mary 30, Sarah 18, George 13 (Lydia 15 I now know to be living next door) plus from 1851 there is a daughter Harriet 13 (I don't know where she was on 1841) and a son John 10.  So, quite a bit of detective work yet to do!

Many many thanks for your help.

Zephyr
 ;D