Author Topic: Exemption from WWI conscription  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Exemption from WWI conscription
« on: Wednesday 13 June 12 01:06 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was born in 1882 and would have been of the right age for conscription in 1916.  I am more or less 100% certain he did not serve, probably because he was running a business manufacturing components for bombs/shells.

I understand that every person who claimed this right for exemption appeared in front of some sort of Tribunal.  Presumably this was held locally (he lived in Redditch).  Does anyone know if there are any records of these Tribunals and their decisions please?

Offline andyb1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Exemption from WWI conscription
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 21:57 BST (UK) »
Graye

The sittings of the tribunals were reported in the local papers.  Here is a transcription of a tribunal's proceedings from a local paper of the time that considered an application for exemption in respect of a distant relative of mine.

Andrew

Local News
--------------
Before the Tribunals
------------------------
DROITWICH BOROUGH
--------------------------------
CORPORATION WATER – FITTER INDISPENSIBLE

William Harrison, water – fitter in the employ of the Corporation, was appealed for by that body.  Lieut. Dixon said, from what Major Tombs had said, he thought the man must remain.

The Chairman: He is indispensable.

Six months conditional exemption.

From the Droitwich Guardian dated 22 December 1917

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 June 12 16:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information, Andy.  I'm assuming this was reported in the Redditch Indicator so I suppose I can check their archives (I think they might be in Worcester Records Office?).  Did you trawl through ALL the papers until you found that particular report on your relative?

Offline andyb1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 June 12 18:22 BST (UK) »
The Droitwich Guardian was published from 1883 until 1967.  The years from 1939 to 1967 are on microfilm in Droitwich library.  The years 1883 until 1930 are in bound volumes in Worcester Record Office.  I started on the bound volumes at 1930 and am back as far as 1895.    It's taken me about three years so far but as I don't live in the county now so my visits are more sporadic.  I have found all sorts of interesting snippets.  My great grandparents wedding from 1911. Accounts of my great great grandfather's drowning in the local canal in 1920.  Birth, marriage and death notices and appearances before the local Petty Sessions to name but a few.  I'm hoping that eventually the local papers will end up on the British Newspaper Archive website which will make the searching a lot easier.  Newspapers are a mine of information and really help to put some flesh on the bones of your research over and above BMD certificates.

It would appear that Redditch library have the Redditch Indicator on microfilm - see below.  Good hunting!

Andy

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ENG-WORCESTER/2010-02/1265839089