Author Topic: Thomas - Monmoushire or Glamorganshire  (Read 2545 times)

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
Thomas - Monmoushire or Glamorganshire
« on: Wednesday 13 June 12 06:02 BST (UK) »
Hi folks - could someone please help with a bit of confusion.

On a wedding Certificate the bride has put her birthplace as Rumney Monmouthshire Wales - this was 1855 in Australia.

On this lady's death Certificate it has her birthplace as Rhymney Glamorganshire Wales.

She died in Australia aged 78yrs in 1915.

Could someone please explain the difference in these counties and why you think they were listed differently.  Her husband was the informant.

Thank you,

Adcord  ;D
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas - Monmoushire or Glamorganshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 16:26 BST (UK) »
There is a district in Cardiff named Rumney but I would suggest that Rhymney in the top end of the Rhymney Valley is the birthplace of your bride.  Rhymney is often spelt Rumney on old documents.  Do you have details of the 1841 census which may give a clue to where she actually lived.
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 16:34 BST (UK) »
The Local Government Act of 1888 resulted in a redefinition of boundaries - could Rhymney have moved from one county to the other as a result? (Only a guess...  ;D)  Phil.
Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 21:42 BST (UK) »
Monmouthshire & Glamorganshire are ancient counties and their boundaries seperated by the Rhymney (Rumney) River which means an area of Rhymney can be on the Glamorgan side whilst another part can be on the Monmouth side.  In the early 1900s Rhymney was part of Bedwellty Parish, Monmouthshire.
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 June 12 02:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.  I did find her in the 1851  census in Wales - I checked this last night and Bedwalty was the district or parish.

I hope I was looking at the correct Sarah Thomas.  Her death Cert states her father was John Thomas and was an iron works manager.

The Thomas family I found in the census said he was a Iron peddlar - at least that is what I think the second word was.

The age of the John Thomas was 34 and had a son 23?  Seems a bit odd - perhaps the figures are a bit hard to read.

Regards

Ad
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 June 12 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hello

1851 census says Iron Puddler a worker in the Iron foundry looking at the other 5s and 3s on the page Johns age is 54 and born in Glamorgan the rest of family born in Mounmouthshire.

Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 June 12 06:31 BST (UK) »
Same family

1841 H0107/750/11 folio 48 page 24 Bedwelty Monmouthshire
Dukes Street

John Thomas age 45 not born in county iron Puddler
Sarah age 35 rest born in county
Thomas age 13 Haulier
Samuel age 12 Iron Straight??
William age 9
John age 8
Sarah age 4
Mary age 9 months

Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 June 12 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,

I really appreciate you taking the time to decipher the handwriting.  I couldn't understand the figures let alone the street name.

The little 4yr old girl named Sarah is my husbands g.g. grandmother.  She died in Brisbane Queensland Australia.  She came out here in 1854 as a house servant.  Thank you also for giving me the street name.  I will google the address and see if it is still standing.

Regards

Ad