Author Topic: Family crests  (Read 13681 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Family crests
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 October 12 12:55 BST (UK) »
None of the standard works that I have access to have any record of an Allenby crest.  This is usually a good indication that no Allenby was granted a coat of arms.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Graham47

• RootsChat Senior
  • Not putting the clock back, just right.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 October 12 13:37 BST (UK) »
What about this guy?
No relation though  ::)

Allenby, Viscount (UK, 1919)

Creation: let. pat. 7 Oct 1919

Family name: Allenby

Arms:

Per bend Argent and Gules in the sinister three Crescents two and one of the second and in the dexter three Horses' Heads erased one and two of the first all within a Bordure azure
Crest:

Issuant out of a Crescent Gules a Demi-Lion proper
Supporters:
Dexter:  a Horse reguardant Or;  Sinister:  a Camel reguardant Argent
Motto:
Fide Et Labore (With faith and work)
Allanby's, Thompson's and Pannett's of Leeds and Tadcaster.
Streeter's and Kent's of Croydon.
Cavalli's and Cascarini's of Wales and Italy

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 October 12 13:40 BST (UK) »
If you are a direct descendant of Viscount Allenby, then you may be able to use the arms.

If you aren't directly related (via the male line) then you have no right to use the arms.

Read the first FAQ at http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/Faq.htm
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Graham47

• RootsChat Senior
  • Not putting the clock back, just right.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 October 12 14:13 BST (UK) »
Having read a bit of his biography, I think I'd rather go with the Apples and leaves of Appleby  ;D
Allanby's, Thompson's and Pannett's of Leeds and Tadcaster.
Streeter's and Kent's of Croydon.
Cavalli's and Cascarini's of Wales and Italy

Offline blacksmith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 October 12 14:13 BST (UK) »
The straight answer to your question is that the commercial companies who try to sell you goods bearing these coats of arms want you to be able to see them without the ability to reproduce them.

It is extremely worrying that some of them try to sell you "a crest" when they are actually offering a shield taken from a coat of arms.  Unfortunately in the USA the word crest seems to be used for almost any part of a coat of arms.  There is a lot less of a problem with you using a crest if this is what you intend, as the same crest will be found in many coats of arms.

A coat of arms is a combination of shield, upon which are the arms; a mantle, the feathered cloth which represents the sun cloth at the rear of a helmet, and the helm or headgear, upon which may be a crest.  This is a distinguishing element which may also be found on the field of arms.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 October 12 16:38 BST (UK) »
You can see a labelled illustration of a full achievement of arms at   
www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/Achievement.htm

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 20:35 BST (UK) »
A coat of arms is a combination of shield, upon which are the arms; a mantle, the feathered cloth which represents the sun cloth at the rear of a helmet, and the helm or headgear, upon which may be a crest.  This is a distinguishing element which may also be found on the field of arms.

Actually, a "coat of arms" is the shield alone, with the colors and charges on it.  An "achievement of arms" is the shield, helm, mantling, torse (or crest coronet), crest, and motto (and in some cases, coronet of rank, compartment, and supporters).

David

Offline nigelpaige

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 November 12 12:30 GMT (UK) »
I have noticed that the attribution of Crests, Coats of Arms and Origins of family names by the many commercial companies offering to provide shields etc. seems to be complete nonsense... the crest my family has used for the last 200 years at least and confirmed by the relevant books, which was derived from our french family of origin, never appears on the commercial websites which erroneously assume that PAIGE is merely an alternative of PAGE which I know is not the case.  people should be warned off these scammers

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 November 12 12:50 GMT (UK) »
You need to read CAREFULLY what is written on those websites! ;D

Invariably it says something like "Crest associated with your surname", which is probably true, but has no proven link to your own particular family.

My own avatar (left) is taken from an extinct line, attributed to a John Garrad in the 17th Century.

It's just as likely, or unlikely, to be mine as any from a commercial site!!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)