Author Topic: Hallett Family of Heytesbury  (Read 9010 times)

Offline Susan Prince

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hallett Family of Heytesbury
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 22:36 GMT (UK) »
I've only just found this forum as I've just started researching my family tree. I am also related to Amos Hallett through his son Arthur Amos. Arthur is my Great Grandfather. I have some written pages about Amos which my father has passed on to me. I'm not sure if it contains any information  not already known but will look it out and have a look.
Also, my father has a photograph of Charlotte Phelps...Amos's wife. I think it says she was born in the 1840s but will need to check that.

Offline BarBird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I just read your post and it appears that we are cousins and both have the same great grandfather. I have already acquired quite a lot of information on the family history so I would be pleased to help you with your search and perhaps you can help me fill in some gaps. My grandfather was Sydney Cyril. I am also in regular contact with a cousin whose grandfather was Frederick Edgar. As it happens we also met up via rootschat. It appears that the family lost touch with each other over the years. Sydney died in the great war in 1918 when my father was only 6 and my grandmother remarried, which may account for the lost contact. However, it good that now we can be in touch should you wish.     

Offline Susan Prince

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 21 March 19 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply. As I said, I'm only just starting this journey but it is so interesting. I think we share a great great grandfather (Amos). His son Arthur Amos was my great grandfather.
My father is still alive at nearly 90 and he has very fond memories of his maternal grandfather Arthur Hallett. They shared a lot of interests apparently...especially as both were very keen competitive runners. My father still has some of Arthur's running medals and prizes. Arthur was a mental health nurse by profession. Also a musician. We have photos of him playing his cornet. Another thing he tried to encourage my father to do but he didn't take to it. The story goes that Arthur was presented with a silver cornet by Queen Victoria. His daughter Gertrude (My grandmother) told me the story frequently. I'd love to find out more but I don't think I'd be able to.
I have a record of Amos Hallett and Charlotte Phelps children and see Sidney Cyril listed there. As I said we do have a photo of Charlotte Phelps if anyone is interested.

Offline BarBird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 22 March 19 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, I have a photo of Amos and would certainly like to add a photo of Charlotte to my family tree files. I would also like to add a bit more to my files concerning your own leg of the family tree if possible. I have quite a lot of detailed information on the family if there is more I can help you with in your search. I think I have attached a file, please confirm, with the detail I have of Arthur Amos and his descendants so far - it would be good if I could bring that up to the current date.

Offline Susan Prince

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 22 March 19 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. I can certainly fill in lots of gaps with my branch of the family. Give me a day or two to put it together. Lots of it I haven't written down yet as I know it so well. My grandparents are Philip Ivor and Gertrude Elsie Pring (nee Hallett) and my father is the eldest of their 4 children Philip Arthur.
Not sure if you are aware but Gertrude Hallett had a younger sister Kathleen. I'll give you her details too.
I'll get a copy of Charlotte Phelps photo next time I visit my father. It's not particularly clear, but is very old. Having started this research it's nice to put a name to the photo now. My grandmother had written on the back that it was her Gran Hallett, but no name. Now we know.

Offline Susan Prince

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi it's me again. I have the photo of Charlotte Phelps now but not sure how to load it on to here or send it. I have a few photos of Arthur Amos Hallett if anyone is interested.

Offline MARION192

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I think my family may be one of your missing links. My 2nd great grandmother was Caroline Hallett who married Thomas Neale, they had 4 maybe 5 children, 2 girls and 2 boys. Her date of birth 1813 is different but all the facts seem to fit, she was a widow when she married Thomas Neale. You may after all this time have already found all this out but hopefully this helps.