Author Topic: Hallett Family of Heytesbury  (Read 9011 times)

Offline 11th Hussars Chase

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hallett Family of Heytesbury
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your kind response....it is sincerely appreciated. Arthur Amos is also among our findings. Lots of children had lots of children....as was the way then - of course..... We also have the location of Amos' grave in the churchyard in Crowthorne - although it is an unmarked spot. It's been an truly interesting journey finding the history....and the story of Amos, that has slowly been unravelling, is spellbinding! Our own four year old Grandson is enthralled by the 'very' abridged version of the 'Charge'.... .and likes to re-enact his own version of events!!!! Do you have a photo of Amos????

Offline BarBird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, yes I do have a photo of Amos which Brenda supplied to me. There was book on local info she had which had old pictures of Crowthorne including some school photos and Wellington College when first built - Mum and Dad first met whilst working there. You were trying to trace back from Richard, the father of Amos - are you aware that his father was also called Amos born in 1740 and his wife was Mary (Cooper) living in Templecombe, Somerset? And again, his father was also called Amos - I do not have his birth date yet but I know he died in 1790 - and his wife was Sarah also of Templecombe. Apart from Amos they had 4 other children - George, Sarah, Ann and Jenny. I am still trying to add further details but this is now quite a way back in the past so its slow going! Can you confirm any if this info?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 20:49 GMT (UK) »
The photograph of Amos 'the Charger' is possibly the same one that we have....as we were also fortunate enough to be able to obtain a copy of the book (thanks to a nudge in that direction from some kind church wardens that we had made email contact with). Amos also had links with the college - as his post Crimea employer, the Hon. Col. Manners-Monkton - formerly of the 3rd Hussars (and son of William George Monkton, the 5th Viscount of Galway) - lived at White Cairns, Wellington College in Crowthorne, Berkshire. From Amos' obituary - it would seem Amos still worked there at the time of his death....although no longer as a 'Coachman'. Regarding Amos' sister Caroline, records indicate that she was born in 1838/39. I am happy to photocopy the death certificate of Richard for you.....

Offline BarBird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 December 12 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, yes, I would be interested to see a copy of Richards birth cert. You did not comment on my findings re his forebears - do you concur with these?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 December 12 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Would you like me to email you a copy of Richard's certificate, post it to you or attach it to a roots chat post?

I can confirm the following from our findings; Richard had a sister Caroline - born in 1788 -  baptised in Heytesbury April 1789 at 9 months of age. We believe that Richard (baptised 17th January 1781) married Mary Anne Jacob 15th May 1808 and had three children....Caroline b.1816 Mary Anne 1817 and Amos b. 1829/1830.

At the Wiltshire 'Family Research Open Day.....we were helped to find that Amos and Mary (Cooper) had 9 children. John - 1768, Sarah - 1770, Thomas - 1773, Mary - 1775, Ann - 1776, Jane - 1778, Richard - 1781, Martha - 1782 and Caroline - 1789. We also have found details relating to the baptism of Richard's father Amos (1739 - 1st January 1740)....that indicate the names of Amos and Sarah as the parents. The names I have found as possible other children of Amos and Sarah are, George - Samuel, Sarah and Ann..... Hope that helps.

Offline BarBird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 December 12 01:33 GMT (UK) »
If you could attach it to roots chat post that would be great.
 Thanks for the details you sent which both confirms and also adds details to those I already had. Your trip to the open day was obviously very useful - do you know if this is an annual event?.
 I do not have birth dates for Amos and Sarah but I have traced their deaths to 27/05/1790 and 08/08/1779 respectively. I also have approx birth dates for their children:- Amos 1739, George 1742, Sarah 1747, Ann 1749 plus Jenny in 1753. I have still to find death dates and any further details for them. Amos and Sarah are as far back as I have got to date but it appears a visit to Templecombe might be useful.   

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 December 12 16:57 GMT (UK) »
I have tried uploading  Richards certificate....but rootschat can't manage the size. If I reduce the image size it will affect the quality and be unreadable. I can email it to you so that you have a copy for your records.... However, if you prefer not to disclose your email address - I can simply tell you what it says.

Offline BarBird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 December 12 17:34 GMT (UK) »
That's a pity. Please do not be offended but I do not want to disclose Email details as this is a public site. I would be grateful if you could otherwise provide the info - as you suggest  - for the time being. Any comment on the other details I sent?   

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 December 12 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Of course we are not offended - and quite understand. I can confirm that the certificate confirms Richard's death as 23rd August 1839 (in Knook)...and that it was registered on 26th August 1939  by Amelia Bennet - whom it states was 'Present at Death'. It also confirms that Richard was 58 years old, a carpenter....and the cause of his death was consumption. I managed to trace an Amelia Bennet - who aso died later the same year in Donhead St Andrews- also from consumption. I also discovered that Richard's daughter Caroline - had the name 'Caroline Norris' when she married Thomas Neal in 1841.... The brides father's name is clearly listed as Richard Hallett.