Author Topic: Dorothy Jinkerson / Walker  (Read 5441 times)

Offline alstark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dorothy Jinkerson / Walker
« on: Friday 15 June 12 11:42 BST (UK) »

I've just unearthed details of a marriage between Dorothy Hilda Jinkerson and Richard Victor Hugh Walker, who married in Lowestoft around 1920.

Richard was my GM's youngest brother, and I've run in to a brick wall trying to find details out about Richard's father (and my GGF Peter Walker).

I'm wondering if anyone has details of descendants / relatives that I may be able to contact.
Stark, Walker, Britteon, Mummery, Watts, Murrell, Moyes, Stirk, Tullos, Swan, Sterry,  Clark(e), Howe, Starling, Purkis, Stubbings, McWilliam,Stevenson, Strachan, McGregor, Littlejohn, Kirkwood, Orr

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dorothy Jinkerson / Walker
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 12 14:17 BST (UK) »
hi have sent you a pm
regards
trevor

modified post i couldn,t help via pm so were back here for look up,s
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 June 12 15:11 BST (UK) »
richards birth details reg dist mutford 1895 oct -dec vol 4a p 958 , have you got richards marriage cert only with both or either of these certs you may pick up clues regarding peter also do you know richards mum,s name could this be peters marriage detail mutford 1882 wed either matilda mary duffield or florence gertrude swan apr - jun vol 4a p 1159, any minute detail or even an educated guess may help find out more has suffolk always been the area for the family as there appear to be more records elsewhere than suffolk .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline alstark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 June 12 18:17 BST (UK) »
Got the Swan line  back to the mid 1600's (plus the line of Florence's natural father back to the mid 1500's).  It took a bit of digging, plus some lateral thinking to throw up all the connections, but I've had the 'missing links' and some romances on both sides of the counterpane verified by others.

It's Peter Walker's ancestry that is proving difficult, and that is where being able to track down a death certificate would help -- His marriage certificate does not give many clues, Age at marriage given as 23. Father's name given as John Walker, mariner.

Lowestoft census records show that he was a fisherman, originally from the Liverpool area, but I've not been able to tie any available birth records to him.

From FreeBMD

A Peter Walker is registered born Liverpool, spring quarter 1858 -- Possibly born June 1858
Date of and place of birth estimated from marriage details (certificate obtained).

A Birth Certificate obtained for Peter Walker, b 12 May 1858 - father name given as Joseph Walker - Shoe Maker -- does not appear to be correct Peter.

1861 census at private house, West Derby - Boarder - the only Peter of correct age in Liverpool area.  It is possible that his mother had died whilst he was an infant, and as his father would be away at sea, he was 'boarded' with another family - possibly a relative.

1871 census - the only entry of correct age is located at 80 Roper St, Whitehaven - apprentice draper - pob Liverpool, however at age 13, Peter may also have been away at  sea as by then he was of working age. Another possibility was that he may have subsequently left the draper's trade, and become a fisherman - Whitehaven being an important fishing port on the West Coast

1881 Census  In port  -- Lowestoft harbour --  on board fishing vessel "Sea Flower"

Herbert SANDWELL   M   24    M             Broadstairs, Kent, England   Master
William WRIGHT           U   19    M   Carlton Colvill, Suffolk, Eng   Mate
Peter WALKER               U   21    M   Liverpool, Lancashire, England   Seaman
George LONG           U   17    M   Carlton, Suffolk, England   Apprentice
William LONG           U   14    M   Lowestoft, Suffolk, England   Apprentice

Married: 31 MAY 1882  to Florence Gertrude Swan in St. Margarets, Lowestoft, Suffolk - Occupation - Fisherman
Note: Note: Witnesses: Charles Calver and Elizabeth Rose Britteon.  Elizabeth Rose Britteon was Florence Swan's half sister

Date of Death approx 1915 taken from an entry in the IGI, However I can find no record on Free BMD, or in Military records - however as he would have been 56 at the outbreak of WW1 it's doubtful whether he would have been in the Royal Navy. 

The Lowestoft fishermans memorial does not list him as having been lost at sea.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Stark, Walker, Britteon, Mummery, Watts, Murrell, Moyes, Stirk, Tullos, Swan, Sterry,  Clark(e), Howe, Starling, Purkis, Stubbings, McWilliam,Stevenson, Strachan, McGregor, Littlejohn, Kirkwood, Orr

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 June 12 20:58 BST (UK) »
cant see him on the suffolk death index for Lowestoft. there is this:

Alfred Hunn Walker 27/2/1892 age 5
s/o peter & Florence. Seago street.  Lowestoft Cemetery.

the address in 1892 may help you narrow down death?

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline alstark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 June 12 22:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks

I've already got Alfred's death. -- The lives of most of the other siblings have been well documented.

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 July 12 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My attention was drawn to this thread by the mention of the Hunn name. Do you know why Peter & Florence named their son Alfred Hunn Walker? I ask because I am undertaking a one-name study of the Hunn family, and there were a few of them around the Lowestoft area, so I am wondering whether there is a familial connection.

Cheers,

Toban

Offline alstark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 July 12 09:34 BST (UK) »
Toban

I've absolutely no idea where the Hunn name came from.  Various records give the spelling as either Hurn or Huno -- the copperplate writing on copies of original records is difficult to read!

Do the Hunns have any connection to Bevan St, Seago St, or Stevens St in Lowestoft as they were 3 addresses where Alfred's mother lived?

regards

Alan

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 July 12 02:59 BST (UK) »
Alan,

It's possibly a clue to Peter's parentage then!

There are a number of references to those streets in my Hunn family tree:

BEVAN STREET
- in 1901 Amelia Sarah Edwards (née Hunn) was living at No. 110 with her daughters

SEAGO STREET
- in 1891 Frederick Love and his wife Sarah (née Burgess, whose grandmother was a Hunn) were living at No. 23 with their family. They had moved to No. 30 by 1901.

STEVENS STREET
- in 1861 George Dawson and his family were living at No. 1. His mother, Esther (née Hunn) was living with them. The Dawsons were still at this address in 1911.
- in 1871 & 1881 William Dawson (brother of George) was at No. 2. In 1891, at No. 13; In 1901 at No. 54. In 1911 he was at No. 16 with his daughter Clara Rose (who was also living at No. 16 in 1901)
- in 1881, William's daughter Amelia Chamberlain was living at No. 31 with her husband Daniel and their daughter.

Do any of those ring any bells or fit in with the Walkers?

If you give me a brief run-down of Florence's ancestry, I could probably tell you for sure whether she's associated with any Hunns in the area...

T