Author Topic: Merchant Seaman Record, explanation of please.  (Read 3545 times)

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Merchant Seaman Record, explanation of please.
« on: Friday 15 June 12 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have found a  Merchant Seamen's Record  for my g g grandfather who was born in 1832 in Camberwell, Surrey.
I would appreciate some help understanding what it all means, especially the numbers.
Thank you, Sara.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Seaman Record, explanation of please.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 12 20:00 BST (UK) »
hi sara
there,s a chap on here goes under the name of seaweed he,s the one you need for this unfortunately he told me yesterday his pc had died on him so when he will be online next i don,t know but will keep an eye open for him as you can , and will point him to your post when i see him on here next  .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 June 12 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor, thanks a lot for this information. Would be most grateful if you could point him my way.
Best wishes, Sara.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 June 12 20:14 BST (UK) »
The Document you posted seems to be the from the Index of Seamens Tickets.The number is the number of his Seamans Ticket. On the ticket were recorded the seaman's name, date and place of birth, date and capacity of first going to sea and capacity since, the ships he had served in the Royal Navy, if any, and his capacity, his current employment at sea, and home address. The registers in this series  are far from complete and many numbers have no names or details marked up.
There seems to be a copy of his Ticket on FindMyPast. Interpreting the detail is another story.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 June 12 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Seaweed, thank you for your reply.
 Can you explain the numbers at the top of the entries? I believe it says: Himalaya, London and is in Home 1854 column. Is the number 33605 his personal number? I have found this on another record. Can I find any information regarding his joining and leaving the Navy using this number? Also can I find out if he was in the Merchant or Royal Navy?
Best Wishes, Sara.

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 June 12 14:12 BST (UK) »
The last document you have posted is from the Register of Seamen Series III. 1853-1857 The first one you posted is from Series II. 1845-1854  The number is his  personal ticket number.
The ticketing system was widely unpopular and was a discontinued  in 1857 as unworkable. From that date no Central records were kept until 1913. The only information is contained in logbooks and crew agreements.
It is believed that most of the central records between 1913 and 1920 were destroyed. It would seem for part of the period that tickets were issued  Royal Navy and Coastguard personnel as well as merchant seamen were given tickets. I checked the online  Royal Navy records. Your man is not listed. That said the records only start in 1853 and it could be he was RN before that date.
I think you are correct with your belief that the vessel was HIMALAYA. Lloyd's Register has one vessel with this name in 1854. A Barque (sailing ship) built at Sunderland in 1840. 403 tons, Master Langford, owner Marshall, registered in London.
However there was also a P & O steamer with the name completed in January 1854.
It would seem both vessels made sailings to Australia in that year. A ship with the name HIMALAYA docked in London in October of that year. Without consulting Lloyd's List I am unsure which vessel it was.
Initially I would search  Trove
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper
To see if there is anything in the Australian newspapers of the time. Also there are several ships arriving in Australia websites. A post on the Australia Board should give you the links.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 June 12 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Seaweed, thank you, you are a mine of information, amazing.
 I have another record which shows Charles Davis (my Great x 2 Grandfather)  on the Tasmania and Himalaya is it possible to tell from this if he was in either the Merchant or Royal Navy?
Thank you very much, Sara.

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 June 12 19:09 BST (UK) »
TASMANIA official number 15667. 1217 tons built St John 1853 owned by Aikman registered in Glasgow looks the most likely candidate. She also voyaged to Australia. She was a Merchant sailing  ship (Schooner)  Beware of other (smaller) vessels with the same name registered in Australia (Hobart) in your searches.
Her logbooks for the period seem to have been lost or destroyed. As she was registered in Glasgow try the Mitchell Library for more information.

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 June 12 19:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Seaweed, you have been brilliant. Best wishes, Sara.