Author Topic: Maryborough Prison. This is probably a stupid question but...  (Read 6387 times)

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maryborough Prison. This is probably a stupid question but...
« on: Friday 15 June 12 19:39 BST (UK) »
...I'm going to ask it anyway. I've had a lot of trouble tracing my Dublin Dowlings. They apparently never talked about their family so the only verifiable info I have is 1.the details on my grandfather's wedding certificate which lists his father as Christopher and 2. The details of my grandfather's 3 siblings (in one grave) at Glasnevin.
 Recently I've been trawling old newspapers to find any mention of Christopher Dowling. I came across quite a few reports about a Christopher Dowling who had been sent to Mountjoy for life in about 1882/3 for murdering a policeman and then moved to Maryborough until about 1896. I then realised that this Christopher had only one child and he would have been in prison when my grandad and two of his siblings were born. My question therefore is would prisoners have been allowed conjugal visits? If (highly likely) the answer is no then I can immediately eliminate him from my research.
 Sorry to have gone round the houses to get to my point.
cowan, sinnott, duffy, addi, conlon, halpin, (dublin) dowling, mcdonald, donnelly (dublin, newcastle upon tyne and tyrone)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Maryborough Prison. This is probably a stupid question but...
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 12 22:42 BST (UK) »
Having worked in the named prison for 30 years ( after those events!) that type of visit is not allowed, but that's not to say they did not happen!

These days it's only by very special request, but in days of yore, I'm sure a 'penny' in the right pocket!!....
==
Several Christopher Dowling's done time in Mountjoy; One of them was
Prisoner Number; A 669
Christopher Dowling; (26) Dublin City
Crime; Shooting with intent to murder
Sentence; Life (8/2/1883)
Address; 34 Upper Kevin st
Friends address; same
Marks on body; Mark of bullet woulds on right wrist, top of head and right shoulder.
========
Jack

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 12 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack,
Thanks for your reply. As you say "a penny in the right pocket", but three times??The Christopher Dowling you listed was the one I was interested in
There is also the possibility that there was another man in  the picture but I think  its more likely that this is not my ancestor.
Thanks again for your reply.

Pet50ite

cowan, sinnott, duffy, addi, conlon, halpin, (dublin) dowling, mcdonald, donnelly (dublin, newcastle upon tyne and tyrone)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 June 12 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi 'pet...'

Do you want help to try and find your Dowlings ?

If so post the dates and names etc that you do have and I will try for you !

What was your Grandad's father's occupation from the marriage cert that you got ?

Tara

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 June 12 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara,

Thanks for the offer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have:-
 Marriage certificate: Richard Bernard Dowling age 30 sheeter and erector to Agnes Alice McDonald in Gateshead England 1917. It lists Richard's father as Christopher Dowling (joiner/journeyman) deceased.
Richard and his three siblings were supposedly born in Dublin but I have no proof. His sister Mary was born approx 1884 and died 1944. His brother Christopher was born approx 1882 and died 1919. His brother Michael was born approx 1883 and died 1963. Mary Christopher and Michael are buried in the same grave at Glasnevin.
I've found a possible mention in Irish 1911 census for Christopher Richard and Mary at 43 Mayor Street Dublin.
As you can see there are a lot of "supposed", "possible" and "approximates" in my research. The problem was that when Richard's wife died in 1926, 3 of his 4 children were sent to Dublin to be brought up by his sister Mary and brother Michael. The children never even knew about their uncle Christopher and definitely were not told anything about their Dowling grandparents.
Thank you again for your offer. I'm hoping that you'll be able to find information that I've been unable to find.
Pet50ite

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 June 12 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hiya

Well that 1911 census looks like a defo to me

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/North_Dock/Mayor_St_/20737/

So now it's to try and get the family in 1901 !!

I can't spot them so far but I'll keep having a look !

Tara

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 June 12 09:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tara.
I had a few thoughts about other entries in both 1901/1911census but I can't prove them. Firstly, there's an entry for Michael Dowling 23 Bridge and roof erector at 17 Market Square Street, Navan Urban, Meath. My thinking being that Michael was not with Christopher, Mary and Richard, he was also, according to my mum, a roof erector and she also mentioned going up the Navan Road to visit cousins but she wasn't specific about what cousins.
In 1901 I found two Mary Dowlings (mother and daughter) living at 13 Henrietta Street, Inns Quay, Dublin. I thought that as the eldest son was named after his father, then probably the eldest daughter was named after her mother. Using the fact that there was also a Peter Fox (brother) at the same address I looked up Mary Fox on Irish genealogy and found the birth of a Mary Dowling in 1882 at St Andrews RC I've also found a record on rootsireland for a Michael Dowling birth in November 1882 in Glasthule parish.Father Christopher, Mother Mary Mcgrath. Obviously one of them is wrong.However that's where I've come to a standstill. There are no records for other siblings. As you no doubt know Dowling is a very common name so I don't want to jump to any conclusions just yet.
Pet50ite

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 June 12 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

Yes, you are right not to jump to conclusions.

Just looking at a few possibilities

This one is a Christopher Dowling marrying a Mary Barry - the reason I like this one is that Mary's father's name was Richard - which could explain one of their son's being named Richard

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/96fd570056125

They had a son called Christopher but the age is out by a few years to compare to the 1911 census

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/51a4360121761

This is the Mary Dowling born to Mary Fox that you mentioned

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/f4cec60261023

This is the McGrath / Dowling marriage that you mentioned !

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/7a50470100348

Sorry but no defo leads yet !

Tara

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 June 12 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara,
Thanks for those links. It's definitely given me more to think about.  Being a bit of a computer dinosaur I wrote down the details and noticed that the witnesses at the Dowling McGrath wedding were Michael and Maria (Mary) Barry!As you say the Christopher Dowling born 1889 is something to keep in mind. My Christopher's Glasnevin record states that he died in 1919 aged 37 which should put his birth at 1882. However, his brother or sister could have given the wrong age.
Anyway, thank you again. I really appreciate your input.

Anita