Author Topic: 1861 census MENERE, Edward Joseph  (Read 2773 times)

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1861 census MENERE, Edward Joseph
« on: Saturday 16 June 12 02:01 BST (UK) »
Looking for Edward Joseph MENERE in 1861 census - it is driving me bonkers.  Known summary of clues:

Surname has variously been listed and transcribed as MENERE, MENIER, MANERS, MENIRE, MENESE, MEUER although close inspection of handwriting reveals MENERE in each of records found.

Born: bet 1819-1822
Baptised: 29 Nov 1823, St George, Westminster, London to Joseph & Sarah
1841 21 May Marriage 1:  To Hannah Brooks, London
1841 census night: Age 22, Servant, Leadenhall Street, St Peter Cornhill, London. (Head of household George Turgeth)
1841 Nov: in service (servant) of Mr Forsyth,Leadenhall St, ST Peter Cornhill, London
1843-1844:  First child born & died,  All Hallows, London Wall.  Living Wormwood St
1845-1846:  Second child born (bap St Peter Cornhil) and died (buried St James Dukes Place), London
1851 census:  living with Wife 1, age 30, Lime St, St Andrew Undershaft, Middlesex, Occupation Carpenter
1856 20 Jan Marriage 2: To Amelia Allan, widow (nee Heal) at St Mary, Lewisham.  Edward Joseph Menere listed as a widower (but this appears to be a falsehood), living St Peter's parish, Pimlico, London.  Note:  no known children of this union

I cannot find him in 1861 census BUT have found both wives.
Wife 1, Hannah is working as a cook at St Marylebone, listed as married and I can follow her through the later censuses (listed as widow in 1871 & 1881 and at death)
Wife 2, Amelia is a nurse, married, residing (on census night at least) with her brother Ephraim Heal at Newington, St Mary, Surrey.

Where is Edward Joseph MENERE in 1861? 
In hiding because both his wives have found out about each other? 

Edward Joseph Menere dies Dec 1867, age 45, registered death at Uxbridge Moor, Middlesex.  Buried at Hillingdon Cemetery 15 Dec 1867.

Any assistance much appreciated.

cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline Mand54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census MENERE, Edward Joseph
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 November 15 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
I am related to Amelia Heal/Allan/Menere and would be interested in sharing info.

Regards
Amanda

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 November 15 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi I realise this is an old thread, but in case it helps out any researchers of Edward Joseph Menere etc a possible in 1861 census?

Edward J Menne 40 Married occ Porter b Westminster lodging at 7, Henrietta Street,  Marylebone
Census ref RG09/75/115/46
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 November 15 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi mand54
My connection to the Menere's is oblique (to say the least!). Long story. But I hooked up with a Menere descendent and we worked together to put some pieces into our respective jigsaws. Pm me and we can exchange what we (think we) know.

Keyboard...... I think you have found him! Beautifully tying up one of my "loose ends". Thank you very much.
Cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 November 15 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Mand54
Have sent you a pm. Hoping we can share
Cocksie

Offline Mand54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 January 16 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Forgive me - I'll check my files upstairs!

Offline Peter L. Mitchell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 March 20 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Death notice in The Argus newspaper (Melbourne) Saturday 21st September, 1861.

MENERE - On the 13th inst., at his residence, Keilor Plains, after long years of suffering, Mr. William James Menere, eldest son of the late Lieutenant Joseph Menere, Portman-square, London, and formerly cloth-merchant in Dundalk, North of Ireland, aged fifty-one. Resting on the Atonement, his end was peace.

Offline Peter L. Mitchell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 May 20 12:23 BST (UK) »
Additional information of interest.

1843 Marriage solemnised at the Parish Church in the Parish of Cheltenham in the Count of Gloucester.

No. 308
March 20th., 1843.
William James Menere (Bachelor - of age), Merchant tailor.
Residence at time of marriage:  1 Olney Place (Cheltenham).
Father's name and Surname:     Joseph Menere (Gent).
Matilda Frances Mead (Spinster - of age).
Residence at time of marriage:  1 Olney Place (Cheltenham).
Father's name and Surname:    Meshack Mead (Plumber).
Signed in the presence of Meshack Mead and Elizabeth G. Mead.
Curate: William Hawkins.
Note: The address is lodgings or Matilda's home. William and Matilda went to live in Louth, Ireland, after the wedding.

William James Menere was my great-great grandfather. The family probably arrived in Australia in 1857 and they definitely settled in Keilor (now a suburb west of Melbourne, but then the country). My great grandmother, Marion Frances Menere, was born in 1857, and oral family tradition says that Matilda went into labour after they arrived on the ship and they had to pay a doctor five pounds to ride out from Melbourne to deliver her.

Marion married John Roderick McDonald in 1883 and their children were Marion Margaret, Olive Frances (my grandmother), Jessie Grace (died in 1922 aged 33 of diabetes  and cardiac failure - indefinite; buried in Woodend, Victoria as are John and Marion), James, John Farquhar, and Norman Murchison. Marion's death certificate as follows:

When and where died:  January 20th, 1954, Calder Highway, Woodend. Shire of Newham and Woodend.
Usual place of residence: Woodend.
Name and surname: Marion Frances McDonald.
Sex and Age: Female. 96 years.
Cause of death: a. Cardio-vascular degeneration; b. Senility.
Duration of illness: a. 2 years; b. 5 years.
Legally qualified medical practitioner by whom certified: Dr. Lincoln.
When he last saw Deceased: January 17th., 1954.
Surname of Father: William James Menere (Merchant).
Mother (maiden name if known): Matilda Frances Menere formerly Mead.
Informant: J. McDonald (son), 2 Allnutt Street, Moorabbin (Melbourne).
Burial: January 21st., 1954 at Woodend Cemetery.
Minister: Rev. W. M. Harper (Presbyterian).
Where born: Keilor (lifetime in Victoria).
If deceased was married: Footscray at aged 26 years to John Roderick McDonald (widow).
Issue: Marion Margaret (68 years)
          Olive Frances (66 years)
          Jessie Grace (dec.)
          James (63)
          John Farquhar (58)
          Norman Murchison (dec.)