Author Topic: Weatherston - Baptism Help Please  (Read 7290 times)

Offline Jacquelinemercer1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherston - Baptism Help Please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 November 17 00:05 GMT (UK) »
That Nichol isn't yours.  He is on the census at Lauder born Gordon with wife Isabella and son eldest son James.  Yours looks to have an eldest son Thomas and with second daughter being Agnes I would look for parents Thomas and Agnes having children in Eccles around the right time.  Nichol's baptism might have been missed in the records but he did have a James who could be a brother living with him in 1841 - that might help too.  Let me know how you get on.

Hi, I am doing some research that is leading back to this family - can I ask which parents are those of Nichol.  I have a Nichol Weatherston being married to Elspeth TAIT.  The Nichol born 1857 I have is a Grandson to Nichol and Elspeth Weatherston by all accounts, potential illegitimate son of daughter Isabella b1839.  Anything you could let me know would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 November 17 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Just leaving for the Borders FHS archives so will have a look for you and reply tonight.
Barbara

Offline victoriajoule

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 November 17 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hiya

I didn't find a baptism for Nichol Weatherston, but think his parents could be Thomas Weatherston and Agnes Johnson who were married in 1813 in Eccles.  I too would be interested to see if there is a baptism at the borders fhs !!

Cheers
Victoria
North shields, tynemouth, prudhoe, west wylam, urchfont, isle of thanet

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 November 17 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Victoria and Jacqueline

There is no baptism for Nichol and the only child I can find baptised to Thomas Weatherston and Agnes Johnston is James born 1819 who may be the one with Nicol in the 1841 census in Kelso.  This James is hard to find after that.

However I think you are on the right track, Victoria. 

Found a Thomas in Hume, Berwickshire in the 1841 aged 45 with poss children, Mary,20, Agnes 15 and Benjamin 17.  Benjamin dies in Ayton in 1890s and mother is supposed to be Agnes Wilson, father Thomas Weatherston.  But think this is in error and it should be Agnes Johnston. I would follow the other children to their deaths if you can to prove it.  Mary has an illegitimate child Thomas b 1852 and is in Kelso in 1861. Agnes is in Kelso too in 1851 so they are moving that way.

I believe this is the  Thomas who dies in Kelso in 1860 aged 68 and his death record is signed by son Nicol of Old Graden - which is where your Nicol is in the 1861 census.  I have tried to find this Thomas in 1851 but can't as yet! The death record gives his parents as Nicol Weatherston and Janet Fairbairn.  I you can find him in 1851 you will get his place of birth but I am struggling. :-\

Barbara

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 November 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Nicol or Nichol isn't the commonest of given names, so there may be a connection to Nicol "Watherston" who was married to Janet Fairbairn in 1783 at Longformacus, Berwickshire. Their son James Watherston was married in 1809 to Janet Haig and the children I have them are Margaret(1810), Nichol(1812), Janet(1814) Mary(1816) and James(1818), the surname being spelt as Watherston.

Harry

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 November 17 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Harry,

Thanks for the reply.  Think you are right.
The reply just below yours confirmed that Thomas' parents were Nicol and Janet (Fairbairn). Thomas naming his first son after his father.   Is it visible as neither Victoria nor Jacqueline have replied ??? I hadn't gone further than that until they replied.  Nicol is quite a common name in Berwickshire strangely.  I haven't checked yet if they had a son Thomas too.
  This from Thomas' death record in Kelso in 1860 where Nichol is the informant.

Barbara

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 November 17 08:50 GMT (UK) »
The reply you mention just below mine doesn't show up on my screen so maybe the person who posted it has deleted it.

Harry

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 November 17 08:53 GMT (UK) »
It was by me!  I will post it again.  Will you let me know if it show.

Barbara

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 November 17 08:53 GMT (UK) »
There is no baptism for Nichol and the only child I can find baptised to Thomas Weatherston and Agnes Johnston is James born 1819 who may be the one with Nicol in the 1841 census in Kelso.  This James is hard to find after that.

However I think you are on the right track, Victoria. 

Found a Thomas in Hume, Berwickshire in the 1841 aged 45 with poss children, Mary,20, Agnes 15 and Benjamin 17.  Benjamin dies in Ayton in 1890s and mother is supposed to be Agnes Wilson, father Thomas Weatherston.  But think this is in error and it should be Agnes Johnston. I would follow the other children to their deaths if you can to prove it.  Mary has an illegitimate child Thomas b 1852 and is in Kelso in 1861. Agnes is in Kelso too in 1851 so they are moving that way.

I believe this is the  Thomas who dies in Kelso in 1860 aged 68 and his death record is signed by son Nicol of Old Graden - which is where your Nicol is in the 1861 census.  I have tried to find this Thomas in 1851 but can't as yet! The death record gives his parents as Nicol Weatherston and Janet Fairbairn.  I you can find him in 1851 you will get his place of birth but I am struggling. :-\

Barbara