Author Topic: ALMA I PLANT  (Read 2414 times)

Offline thombenn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ALMA I PLANT
« on: Saturday 16 June 12 10:59 BST (UK) »
I have just come across the above girl on the 1920 Census for Boston Mass.  She is the daughter of Eugene (b. Ireland) and Marie Plant (b. Rochdale, England.  Can anyone throw any light on Alma?
b. 1913 in Mass.

Also I noticed there is "Catherine Coyle" listed as "adopted daughter" of the Eugene and Marie.  she was born in Scotland but her parents were Irish.

I recollect my mother mentioning that Marie (or Aunty Mary as she was known to us in UK) did have a child but thought nothing of it until lo and behold, here she is, so I am longing to trace further about her.   Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.  Thombenn

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: ALMA I PLANT
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 June 12 11:35 BST (UK) »
Alma I Plant born 5th September 1912. You could try and match the date of birth against the SSDI to see if Alma comes up under her married name.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FXVX-LSB

Looks like Eugene and Marie are at West 67 Street New York in 1940 but the others are not with them. Alma and Catherine may be difficult to trace because they may have married

Eugene Plant 53 Born Ireland. Steward. Shipping. AL.
Marie Plant 54 Born England. AL.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 12 12:43 BST (UK) »
http://www.stevemorse.org/vital/nydeath.html
 shows an Alma F. Plant d. 1923 aged 11 in NY.
also Marie Plant d. 1947 aged 61.

(I really can't find any of them on the 1930 census; Eugene might have been at sea? - or they were in Canada for a bit).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 June 12 12:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry got held up on the phone - agree with jorose the death for Alma was showing up on the www.italiangen site as well.

Alma F Plant  aged  11 years Mar  10  1923  7903  Manhattan

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nmg/

There are many passenger list entries from 1919/22/26 for Eugene Plant travelling between New York and Hamilton. Bermuda.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 June 12 13:05 BST (UK) »
There are WW1 and 2 Drafts. WW1 for Eugene Plant an d WW2 for Joseph Eugene Plant.

WW2 mention his wife Mrs Marie Plant. 214 West 71 st New York City.
Employed by United Fruit Co. 331 St Charles Street. New Orleans. LA.

Also naturalization for Joseph Eugene Plant born November 26 th 1888. Names his wife as Marie and stated they were married December 1 st 1933. Declared his intention 1 st June 1938.

Florida Death Index - Joseph Eugene Plant. 25 Nov 1886 and died 2 March Pinellas. Florida 1980 - aged 93 years.

Sandra

Added - Have now come across your family tree with the above information. Looks as if you found nothing further in the obituary - except it looks as if Joseph Eugene remarried to Elizabeth.
Have you investigated the several nieces and nephews to see if there is a link to Catherine Coyle ?

Offline thombenn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 June 12 19:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your quick responses.  I think the Alma who died in 1923 would be the same Alma as the one on 1920 census born 1912.  The reason I say this is because her mother, Marie (or to us in the UK - Aunty Mary) told my mother when she stayed with the family in 1946 that she had had a child that had died.   She and her "husband" Plant did travel on the ships between NY, Hamilton, Bermuda etc for some years with his job on ships.  So that information is correct. 

The Marie Plant found died 1947 in Manhatten I am sure is her too.  I knew before that her widowed husband ended up marrying again and living in Florida, through some kind person on rootschat who informed me, so I have all this information, as you see on my tree.

I also know that they went through a marriage ceremony at a catholic church in NY City in 1933,. I have a copy of the notice sent from that church to Mary's parish where she was born in Rochdale informing thm of the fact.  Here is the mystery, when she left England in 1911 she was to meet her husband "Harry Shoesmith"who had gone the year before her.   Something happened because he told the tale that she never "got off the ship" and he didn't know what became of her.  In fact it was in the early 1960s that he got in touch with his family in the UK to try and find out what happened to her.   When I found the notice at the church in Rochdale saying she was married in 1933, did she get a divorce from Harry?  Or did she assume he was dead?  Anyway, according to the census records she styles herself "Mrs Plant, wife" so perhaps they were living "over the brush" as they say in England - co-habitating.  What do you think?  My father always said, and I quote "she was always a mystery" and I am beginning to think he was right!

PS She had already had one child a boy who died probably just after birth in the UK prior to them emigrating to the USA.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 June 12 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,

This may be coincidence but thought it worth pointing out, just incase. Remembered the adopted daughter with the Plants.  Obviously would need further investigation but whilst doing something else today I came across a Catherine Rachel Coyle born 17 Jan 1907 in Glasgow Scotland who died 1988 in Multnomah, Oregon. Catherine was married to a  Robert James Boyle
Born 14 Jul 1903 in Raton, Colfax, New Mexico and who died 14 Jul 1978 in Portland, Multnomah, Oregon.

Tigard, Washington, Oregon in 1930

Robert J Boyle 50  and C Alberta Boyle 41
Robert J Boyle 26  and Cathrine R Boyle 23
Mary Patricia Boyle 11 months (now deceased)
Orfema Adams 73 Widowed. Mother-In-Law.

Food for thought
Sandra

Offline thombenn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ALMA I PLANT and CATHERINE COYLE
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 June 12 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra

I did find another Catherine Coyle who emigrated from Scotland with I think 3 brothers, I thought this would be her but found them all in later census records, all together as step children of a family of another name (this was in the same year as my Catherine was with the Plants, so it couldn't be her). However, have just come across a 1930 census at NY  City Children's Hospital where a Catherine Coyle was born 1909 in Scotland, then age 21 and a "Patient".  As the location was Manhattan I wonder if it is the correct one?
Couldn't find Marie and Joseph Plant (her adopted parents) on 1930 census but they seemed to be on the boats travelling from Bermuda a lot from the 1920s on and I didn't see a mention of Catherine with them.   So perhaps by then she was on her own and could be the one in the hospital in 1930?   What do you think Sandra?
I know Marie and Joseph Eugene Plant surface for the 1940 censuses.
Cheerio  Mary

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 June 12 15:53 BST (UK) »
HI Mary,

Yes, I did come across that one as well, it had 3 Coyle but only Catherine born in Scotland.  Nothing to positively identify her though which is a shame.  :(

Sandra