Author Topic: Howden marriage records for DALBY  (Read 8366 times)

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Howden marriage records for DALBY
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 November 11 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have a book of Baptisms for Howden and surrounding area for 1659-1703.
I have checked for Dalby and variants and nothing listed, so they were none in Howden or districts
at that time.
The nearest name variant is DALLY.

bendywendy
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • ggg-grandad William Vine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 November 11 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,Bendywendy -
thanks - I think they probably moved up from Lincolnshire around 1700: I have a lot of Dalby records from north Lincs. about then, though haven't identified who exactly moved to Howden.
-S
Henley (Brighton 1820+, Bedfordshire pre-1840),  Vine, Button, Bradford, Bodle (Sussex), Willey (Sheffield, London), Nattriss (London), Wood, Jones, Blaker, Shrimpton (London), Dalby (London 1800+, E.Yorkshire pre-1810), Hillmann, von Thun (London and Hannover)

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 November 11 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have you seen/read these Parish Registers for Howden, I put them on RC Resource Board with a lot of others and also other PR on the West and North Yorkshire Resource Boards.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,532112.0.html

The Registers of the Parish of Howden, County of York  Vol I  1543-1659
http://www.archive.org/stream/registersofparis21howd#page/n9/mode/2up

The Registers of the Parish of Howden, County of York  Vol II  1543-1702
http://www.archive.org/stream/registersofparis24howd#page/n9/mode/2up
as above Vol II continued
http://www.archive.org/stream/registersofparis32howd#page/n9/mode/2up

The Registers of the Parish of Howden, County of York  1725-1770
                      This book contains the Indexes for all the books listed here on page 177
http://www.archive.org/stream/registersofparis48howd#page/n5/mode/2up

bendywendy
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline MatthewG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 November 11 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the responses. No indication of Elizabeth Dalby’s parents, but her death certificate indicates birth in 1774, and I had noticed the long gap between the recorded children of David Dalby in Howden. Also, it looks like no records of any births in that parish are recorded in that year, so had thought it highly likely she was David’s daughter. Her own children were William (1794 – named after his Singleton grandfaher), Elizabeth (1797), Charles (1799), John (1801), David (1803), Jonathan (1805), Mary (1809 – my forbear, she married the Howden veterinary surgeon John Bowman) , Hannah (1812) and Simeon (1814).

As for the origin of the Dalbys, there was a strong concentration in nearby Hemingbrough – the most famous is Robert Dalby, the C16th Catholic priest and martyr. From this branch, the father and son James and William Dalby were both vicars of Howden in the early C17th – you can find William’s details on the online database of Cambridge University alumni, edited by J.A. Venn. I don’t know if there might be a link there.

Matthew

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 November 11 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi MatthewG
Have you considered non conformist too, was plenty of them in and around Howden, take a look in the Resource Board for further info as to these names, places and where they are kept.

b.
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline MatthewG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

Having been in contact on this thread last November, I returned to a bit of research a few months ago, and tracked down the will of David Dalby's wife Elizabeth from the Borthwick Institute: this confirmed, as I thought, that my ancestor, also called Elizabeth (b. 1774), was indeed their daughter. I don't know if you knew, but a google check revealed that a descendant of Augustus Dalby has put up a few mid C19th photos online:

http://www.jcdalby.com/

I wondered whether you knew anything about the origins of Howden/Asselby Dalbys prior to 1700? I'm especially interested in seeing whether there was a connection with William Dalby, vicar of Howden in about 1600, and also Robert Dalby from neighbouring Hemingbrough, a Catholic priest executed in the 1580s, who has been declared a martyr by the Roman Catholic Church.

Best regards,

Matthew

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 09:27 BST (UK) »
WILLIAM DALBY:
                   History of the Priory & Peculiar of Snaith in the County of York. Charles Best Robinson.

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/charles-best-robinson/history-of-the-priory--peculiar-of-snaith-in-the-county-of-york-ibo/page-7-history-of-the-priory--peculiar-of-snaith-in-the-county-of-york-ibo.shtml

109 entry, 3rd paragraph
Quote """William Dalbie, clerk, curate of Whitgift in 1601, presided as surrogate at the synod of 29th March, 1G03, and is styled "Preacher, of Howden." One William Dalby, M.A. was instituted vicar of Haxe}'-,  in the diocese of Lincoln, 26th August, 1606 ; and on 5th July, 1625, a will was proved at York before Richard Bridges, A. M,, and on 1st October, 1644, before Richard Wood, LL.D., deputy of William Dalby, A.M., official of the peculiar jurisdiction of Howden. He was living at Howden, 23rd February, 1636-7""" unquote

ROBERT DALBY:
http://supremacyandsurvival.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/blessed-john-amias-and-blessed-robert.html

Quote   """ Robert Dalby was from Hemingbrough in the East Riding of Yorkshire and lived at first as a Protestant minister. Becoming a Catholic, he entered the English College at Rheims on 30 September 1586 to study for the priesthood. He was ordained a priest at Châlons on 16 April 1588. It was on 25 August that year that he set out for England """ unqote

From Wikipedia, Robert Dalby:
Quote """Robert Dalby (died 1589) was an English Catholic priest and martyr.
He came from Hemingbrough in the East Riding of Yorkshire and lived at first as a Protestant minister. Becoming a Catholic, he entered the English College at Rheims on 30 September 1586 to study for the priesthood. He was ordained a priest at Châlons on 16 April 1588. It was on 25 August that year that he set out for England. He was arrested almost immediately upon landing at Scarborough on the Yorkshire coast and imprisoned in York Castle. Given the 1585 Act making it a capital offence to be a Catholic priest in England the terrible sentence of hanging, drawing and quartering was inevitable. It was carried out outside the city of York on 16 March 1589. His fate was shared by a fellow priest, known to us as John Amias. On arrival at the place of execution the prisoners prostrated themselves in prayer. Robert Dalby had to watch his fellow priest be hanged and quartered before his own turn came, but he displayed no hesitation in going to his death.
Both priests were declared Blessed (the last stage prior to sainthood) by Pope Pius XI on 15 December 1929.
[edit]Sources

The most reliable compact source is Godfrey Anstruther, Seminary Priests, St Edmund's College, Ware, vol. 1, 1968, p. 96
""" unquote

THE HISTORY OF HEMINGBROUGH
http://archive.org/stream/heminbrough00burt#page/366/mode/2up

Page 366 at the very bottom to page 268
Page 366... This family located for many centuries at Barlby ...
Top of page 367.... 1588-89 Sir Robert Dalbie 

bendywendy
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 16:31 BST (UK) »
hi matthewG and bendywendy .... sorry not to have replied sooner, but I wasn't notified of the new postings on this thread. Interesting stuff. I've gone through the jcdalby.com website, though it's impossible to navigate normally. There are a lot of text pages but the only way into them is by googling. It has a number of errors, but also a lot of useful new information about Augustus's family. Will try and link everything in. By the way, just took a look at Brian Dalby's tree on GenesReunited and this seems to be more complete.

-Stephen
Henley (Brighton 1820+, Bedfordshire pre-1840),  Vine, Button, Bradford, Bodle (Sussex), Willey (Sheffield, London), Nattriss (London), Wood, Jones, Blaker, Shrimpton (London), Dalby (London 1800+, E.Yorkshire pre-1810), Hillmann, von Thun (London and Hannover)

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 October 12 16:12 BST (UK) »
By the way, Matthew - have you transcribed Elizabeth's will yet? I think the Borthwick |Institute are a bit touchy about people scanning copies of things, so I won't ask you for a copy of the will itself - but would be good to have a transcription. In return, if of interest, I can let you have a copy of the will of Augustus Dalby. This one is quite interesting in terms of the omissions - not even a mention of his eldest son Henry Augustus who had emigrated to New Zealand in 1841. Long story, and quite a fascinating one.
all the best - Stephen