Author Topic: Howden marriage records for DALBY  (Read 8359 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Howden marriage records for DALBY
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 April 16 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Stephen

Carlisle Patriot 03 April 1819, newspaper - indicates surname Dalby was a Master of a vessel called 'John and Jane' on that particular trip, from Selby.

"Newcastle upon Tyne"
"John and Jane, Dalby, from Selby;"

If you come across any Sept 1845 George Hood burial, on your searches, I'd be interested in date and Parish, please?

Regards Mark

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • ggg-grandad William Vine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 April 16 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark -
Thanks for that! Fascinating. One of the sons of David Dalby was Augustus, born 1779 (an elder brother of my ancestor Octavius). He was a Master in the Royal Navy (the youngest ever when promoted in 1801), and served on a number of ships from 1801 to at least 1807 - but probably later as well. One of his sisters had married Jasper Burniston (or Boniston) who was a Selby ship owner. It would not surprise me in the least if this was Augustus Dalby. By then he was living in Saltash, Cornwall, but as a seafarer he could well have gone back to Yorkshire. He was quite wealthy from prize money during the wars, and also received half-pay RN pension as well as holding a number of other positions from time to time, including chief customs officer at Dartmouth, purse of a Cornish tin mine, and towards the end of his life commisioner of pilotage at St Ives.

I shall certainly look out for George Hood. Not a name that I have come across - but it sounds very naval! Not related to Admiral Hood ?

all the best

Stephen

Henley (Brighton 1820+, Bedfordshire pre-1840),  Vine, Button, Bradford, Bodle (Sussex), Willey (Sheffield, London), Nattriss (London), Wood, Jones, Blaker, Shrimpton (London), Dalby (London 1800+, E.Yorkshire pre-1810), Hillmann, von Thun (London and Hannover)

Offline BostonLil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 November 18 11:40 GMT (UK) »
This post is for the attention of MatthewG

You said earlier that you descend from John Bowman and Mary Singleton.  I am interested in this family as I believe I have an illegitimate descent from one of their children.

I had my husband (not direct male line) and his half-cousin (who IS in the direct male line) do DNA tests, and I have several matches for the cousin who descend from the 2 eldest surving sons.  My husband has a mass of Singletons, but they appear to be much further back as IBDs, but he does have a match from William Singleton and Hannah Hoop.  There are also a couple of female cousins on the same generation as my husband who also match Bowman descendants.

The fact that my husband's great-great-grandmother (who originated in London from a Bristol family) was in service with one of the family members in Yorkshire is, of course, probably purely coincidental!  ;)

I would be interested in a discussion with you.

Thanks.
Ingamells - anywhere and everywhere
Capes - Holbeach, Lincs and Castleacre, Norfolk
Carling - Manchester
Parkinson - Wainfleet, Thorpe St Peter, Legsby (Lincs)
Waller - Donington on Bain, Lincs
Davey/Davey - Stickford, Lincs
West - Asterby , Lincs c 1800 +/-20yrs
Gaunt/Gant - Baumber, Lincs
Ellingworth - Rutland
Dexter - Rutland
Clark/e - Holbeach, Lincs
Rodgers/Rogers - Holbeach, Lincs
Freshney - Moulton, Lincs
Ling - Saleby and Whaplode, Lincs