Author Topic: John Downey born 1811? Dublin  (Read 20794 times)

Offline princesscowie1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Downey born 1811? Dublin
« on: Monday 18 June 12 04:09 BST (UK) »
My grgrgrandfather John Downey married Bridget Reynolds b 1834 Ennistymon Ireland on 1/11/1850 at Sandy Falls near Gundgai in the Roman Catholic faith by Father Patrick Magennis. On the marriage cert. it states that John and Bridget's abode was Adjenbilly (NSW) Witnesses were John Downey of Darbalara and Anne Stacey of Tumut. John and Bridget had 10 children all born around the Murrumbidgee area e.g. Wagga Wagga, Gundagai, Coolac, Yass and on properties such as "Kimo",& "Pomingalara". I feel that John died after 1874 as he disappears off the Electoral Roll then but I cannot locate his death cert. Some of the childrens birth certs vary in Johns age making him born 1811 - 1824 Dublin Ireland.  I am trying to ascertain his parentage and when and how he came to Australia. His occupation is listed as shepherd and farm labourer on birth certs for the children. Family suggest that he was a "remittance" man in that he received cheques from Ireland from family? Can any one help? Regards Gail

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Downey born 1811? Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 June 12 06:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Gail,

Can you please list the names and birth years for their children?  Do you know where and when Bridget died?

Debra  :)

Offline princesscowie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 June 12 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra, Children Frederick Wm 1851, Mary 1852,Annie Mary1855, Margaret 1860, John jnr 1862,Michael Augustus 1864(my line), James 1866, Bridget(Maude) 1868, twins Emma & James 1872. Bridget Downey died 11th Feb 1915 at Wagga Wagga. Buried at R.C. cemetery Wagga Wagga together with her long deceased husband John.(Newspaper article on Bridget's funeral) Church burial records didn't begin until after 1916?

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 June 12 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have had a look for deaths at Wagga for a John,'D', the closest thing seems to be Donnelly, up until 1888.
It probably is there somewhere, just spelt wrong so that we cant find it.

Is he mentioned on his childrens marriage certificates as living or deceased?

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 June 12 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have you looked at the death of John Downey in Deniliquin in 1875? It's the closest death to Wagga that I can see.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 June 12 13:12 BST (UK) »
It seems that you have the marriage certificate but there are blanks (i.e. no parents) on the marriage certificate.  If only JM was around she would tell you that you need to contact the church or the archives for that church to find out the missing info on the marriage certificate.

I have been searching for JM's wonderful post about how to fill in the blanks on NSW marriage certificates but I can't find it.  I have followed her advice and found complete details about the marriage for one of our ancestors by contacting the church archives.

Can anyone find JM's advice ..?

cheers,
  Ros

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 June 12 13:41 BST (UK) »
Ros, John and Bridget were married in 1850 - pre civil registration, so there is only a church record.

The records that weren't reconciled were after 1856 and they are the ones which contain the parents' names.

JM's post

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

Debra  :)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 June 12 13:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Debra  :) :)

cheers,
  Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 June 12 14:04 BST (UK) »