Author Topic: Blacksmith, Thomas Robinson in Lewes, around 1800.  (Read 5212 times)

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blacksmith, Thomas Robinson in Lewes, around 1800.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 August 12 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Jill

Hope this will help
From the SMI

Married at Brighton 1 July 1805

Thomas Robinson & Mary Richards

Mary, SP, of the same Parish,Thomas, Bach, from Lewis St John

Kind Regards

omega

Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 06:40 BST (UK) »
I have to add the following found on the Blacksmiths list, even though it might confuse you even further. 
There was another Blacksmith in Brighton called Thomas Robinson, so some of the local children baptised to Thomas Robinson 'a blacksmith,' might be his. 
The Blacksmiths website http://blacksmiths.mygenwebs.com/index.php lists the following (in Yorkshire):

Thomas Robert Robinson, blacksmith. Born about 1787 in Lazenby, Yorkshire. Robert became a blacksmith in Skelton-in-Cleveland during 1820's & 1830's. His son, Thomas Robinson blacksmith, born 1811 Brighton, Sussex, married Elizabeth Saunders 1834 in Skelton.

Children: Jane born 1836, Skelton; Thomas (Jnr) born 1839, Skelton; Ann born 1842 Skelton; Hannah born 1843, Skelton. Thomas (Jnr) and Ann both died in infancy. Thomas died in 1877 and Elizabeth in 1885 and are both buried in the old All Saints churchyard, Skelton. 

Roy G

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 08:43 BST (UK) »
Looking at that baptism for Thomas Robinson 8 Dec 1811 St Nicholas Brighton it can be seen that Robert Robinson was part of the North Yorkshire Militia.
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline llij

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 16:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information. I'm away from most of my information at the moment, so will investigate when I return.
Many thanks
Jill

Offline llij

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 February 17 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Firstly ... apologies for not getting back to this board about the previous message. I got a bit sidetracked with another branch of my family and then forgot!
I have resumed my quest once again to establish the correct line of Thomas Robinson (who married Mary Ann Richards). I now think he was the one born 2 Jan 1783 to William and Susanna Fox.
He may have been one of the Quaker family who were in Charlwood but had originally came from Yorkshire at the time of George Fox (possibly when William Penn was in Lewes). I understand that many Quakers were Blacksmiths by trade.
His daughter Mary Ann ( born in 1806) was married in 1827 to George Henry Wiseman, it seems both in Lewes and in St Peters Brighton. I've also read that childrens baptisms often took place in a totally different place (often County) from their birth. I believe this happened in non conformist situations at that time.
I do remember seeing their marriage record at the Lewes Record Office many years ago but no longer have the record.
So, hopefully someone may kindly be able to offer I a little more advice?
Many thanks
Jill